Moving my boat

Featured Posts

once lockdown is over and as long as the Thames is not on yellow boards (near flood conditions) it should be a relatively simple journey. Many to the Thames locks may be manned. The ones that are unmanned could be interesting for  a single hander but as you are going up stream the boat could be very carefully tied in the lock while you work the power pedestal. Then you get to the Fobney lock on the Kennet, in my view on of the most difficult locks on the system. If its good weather try to get through Fobney before about 10am, there has been yob and drug problems here.

2 hours ago, Denise McAllister said:

Hi, has anyone sailed from Chertsey to the Kennet and Avon Canal. I want to take my boat but don’t know how difficult this would be as I’m a total novice and would greatly appreciate any advice.

many thanks

Denise

What sort /size boat have you got, is it a narrowboat or cruiser?

Some of the locks on the K&A are hard work if single-handed, otherwise no problem. Some of the bridges are hard work too, but they're mainly towards the Bath end. How far along are you going?

I've done it on my boat single-handed on reds and yellows. This time of year the Thames going upstream should be fine. Just take your time in locks if you can. If you're sharing locks or a lockkeeper is working to his abilities rather than yours then taking your time as a single-hander is sometimes easier said than done.

I never had a problem on the Kennet either but it is a bit harder than the Thames.

Edited by blackrose

Hi, thank you all for your replies. Ok this is a nightmare. I had better look into transportation to the Kennet and Avon from Chertsey. The way things are going it won’t be this year, still a lot to do inside and out and builders letting me down etc., so I am going to do the anti fouling myself. I’ve watched the video and probably could do it in a couple of days weather permitting. 
Thanks again.

denise

It’s a cruiser 27ft

3 hours ago, Denise McAllister said:

Hi, thank you all for your replies. Ok this is a nightmare. I had better look into transportation to the Kennet and Avon from Chertsey. The way things are going it won’t be this year, still a lot to do inside and out and builders letting me down etc., so I am going to do the anti fouling myself. I’ve watched the video and probably could do it in a couple of days weather permitting. 
Thanks again.

denise

It’s a cruiser 27ft

It needn’t be a nightmare, there are members here who offer to crew for the pleasure of it. Going upstream is easier than downstream, and if you are going to wait til next year, you can do some short practice runs out and back from your present mooring, to gain confidence. 

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

May I ask, coz I’m a bit slow on the uptake. What does the big L mean in your avatar?

I assumed that the 'L' indicated a beginner??

For the OP - the River is now open with all locks working on electric power (where applicable), some with lock kepers as well.

EA have erected loadsa' fencing to keep everyone separated.

#

Mebe movig to the K&A is now more feasable - from the Thames at least (K&A locks and bridges are very heavy to use, though..

• Greenie 1