BSS Requirements

Detling

Featured Posts

How do you expect this to work out?

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/arranging-the-examination/preparing-for-examination/covid-19-bss-examinations/

I expect a lot more second visits because the examiner could't find something. or was unable to explain over the phone, or is not allowed to adjust something which the owner could if he was there. Still welcome to the new normal, as an over 60 person I am aware of the russian roulette odds if I get the virus.

We need a good list of what exactly they need access to, and with a cruiser stern I am not going to be leaving that open for a week, will he be allowed to open and shut it?

11 minutes ago, Detling said:

How do you expect this to work out?

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/arranging-the-examination/preparing-for-examination/covid-19-bss-examinations/

I expect a lot more second visits because the examiner could't find something. or was unable to explain over the phone, or is not allowed to adjust something which the owner could if he was there. Still welcome to the new normal, as an over 60 person I am aware of the russian roulette odds if I get the virus.

We need a good list of what exactly they need access to, and with a cruiser stern I am not going to be leaving that open for a week, will he be allowed to open and shut it?

One of the potential 'problems' is that the examiner must view the base of the gas locker and check for corrosion, BUT, he is not allowed to lift out the gas bottle (but can if he wants to, or refuse if he doesn't want to), he subsequently needs to check the gas appliances so who will be there to lift out and replace the gas cylinder ?

My BSS exam was done on 11th May with no issues,  without me being present, but the surveyor had my phone number in case of need . He had done the previous BSS 4 years earlier, and the pre purchase survey in 2014 which probably helped.  Other than adding CO alarms and a  new smoke alarm I had not changed anything relevant to the BSS   since the last exam.  I did leave the boat with the relevant areas as easily accessible as possible.

I cant say I have ever been present  for a BSS exam .... must have had two on the previous boat and one previous test on the present boat. The first boat needed a fire extinguisher and fire blanket which was sorted at the time.

My gas bottle is small  - 6.4kg total weight when full - so easily lifted.

My neighbour had his boat examined  on the same day, same surveyor,  had some failure points. But it seems his  boat would not have achieved a pass if he had been present. The relevant failure point  items are  to be photographed when sorted and sent to the surveyor.

18 hours ago, MartynG said:

My BSS exam was done on 11th May with no issues,  without me being present, but the surveyor had my phone number in case of need . He had done the previous BSS 4 years earlier, and the pre purchase survey in 2014 which probably helped.  Other than adding CO alarms and a  new smoke alarm I had not changed anything relevant to the BSS   since the last exam.  I did leave the boat with the relevant areas as easily accessible as possible.

I cant say I have ever been present  for a BSS exam .... must have had two on the previous boat and one previous test on the present boat. The first boat needed a fire extinguisher and fire blanket which was sorted at the time.

My gas bottle is small  - 6.4kg total weight when full - so easily lifted.

My neighbour had his boat examined  on the same day, same surveyor,  had some failure points. But it seems his  boat would not have achieved a pass if he had been present. The relevant failure point  items are  to be photographed when sorted and sent to the surveyor.

Who did you use?

We need to get ours sorted.

Although looking at the CRT licencing website there is an option for compliant at the moment which is handy for if we can't get it tested prior to relaunch.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Was going to ask him but that sounds expensive! 

The price went up recently - The BSS charges increased since April and Mr L increased his charge too.

My previous test cost £120 also by Mr L - which although  4 and half years ago the present price  is way above inflationary increase .  

But as least it's only a once in 4 year thing.

And all I spent prior to the test was the CO alarms (I had one anyway and added some more). I had the smoke alarm in stock (oddly not a BSS requirement)

Edited by MartynG

On 17/05/2020 at 16:19, Alan de Enfield said:

One of the potential 'problems' is that the examiner must view the base of the gas locker and check for corrosion, BUT, he is not allowed to lift out the gas bottle (but can if he wants to, or refuse if he doesn't want to), he subsequently needs to check the gas appliances so who will be there to lift out and replace the gas cylinder ?

Simple answer, ask. I did and examiner was quite happy to move bottles. Had he not been wiiing something else would have been arranged

On 17/05/2020 at 16:05, Detling said:

We need a good list of what exactly they need access to...

There is quite a bit of info on the following - even so its probably quite easy to miss something if the boat is relatively new and has not been tested before .

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/private-boats/

If the boat has  been inspected and passed 4 years previously and has not been altered  the risk of any major issues should be low in that most careful owners would have spotted  a developing fault. It is strictly speaking a requirement  to keep the boat BSS compliant in between tests. Be aware the BSS requirements may  be  and are enhanced  over time leading  to a need for certain upgrades eg CO alarms being the most recent change.

If possible use the same surveyor as the last certificate as he is less likely to criticise his last decision to award a pass.

I think the advantage of the owner being absent is the survey will probably be done relatively  quickly . Some years ago I used to do house surveys - an unoccupied house always  took less  time to get around.

My checklist prior to my recent BSS test was something like the following (or would have been if I had made  a written list)....

• Leave the last BSS certificate out for inspection
  • Make access around the boat easy by removal of clutter or stored items  where access for inspections is required . 
  • Provide a clean and dry engine and  engine bay - a filthy engine may give the wrong impression.
  • Remove any  stored petrol and any petrol powered items from the boat
  • Check fire extinguishers - gauge in green zone and no expiry date  = pass
  • Check fire blanket is present
  • Check CO alarms present and working
  • Check orange gas hose is not showing signs of perishing - bend the hose over and look for any sign of splitting 
  • Check there is gas in the gas bottle  
  • Let the surveyor have your phone number in case he has any questions.

...... that's about it for me. 

The surveyor I normally use is locked down in  his Spanish villa (no doubt partially paid for by his BSS work) so I am looking for a new one, £180 fee quoted above seems ridiculously high for what is likely to be 20 minutes work , what is the average people are paying now?

24 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

The surveyor I normally use is locked down in  his Spanish villa (no doubt partially paid for by his BSS work) so I am looking for a new one, £180 fee quoted above seems ridiculously high for what is likely to be 20 minutes work , what is the average people are paying now?

I paid 170 in december. It is what it is and I didnt ask him till he was leaving. He came day and time precisely as arranged, I have used him before but not on this boat. As others have said it went straight through without problem as they usualy do if they did last time and nowts bust.

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

20 minutes?  Only if he's not doing his job. A decent BSS inspection should last at least an hour if not a couple of hours if he's being thorough.

Our last one was 20 minutes from me opening the marina gate to let him in, to opening the marina gate to let him out.

He simply sat in the saloon and filled out the paperwork, saying "it passed last time so It'll pass it this time". (Different examiner)

No inspections, no asking if anything was new etc etc.

• Horror 2

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our last one was 20 minutes from me opening the marina gate to let him in, to opening the marina gate to let him out.

He simply sat in the saloon and filled out the paperwork, saying "it passed last time so It'll pass it this time". (Different examiner)

Beats working for a living doesn't it?

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

20 minutes?  Only if he's not doing his job. A decent BSS inspection should last at least an hour if not a couple of hours if he's being thorough.

We have had two previous tests done on NC by two different examiners and neither test has taken more than half an hour.

We are just weighing up now whether to get it done while the boat is ashore or wait until it is relaunched and take it down to Langrick Bridge and let the examiner who did it last time do it again.

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A perfect example of ‘not doing his job’ then :)

Ours is booked for next Tuesday, examiner will be doing the engine service at the same time so hopefully will be there more than half an hour. I've used him for work before and his rates are very good so I've not even asked how much it will be. He is also driving much further this time as the boat isn't local to him so I am expecting a charge for travelling.

The only thing he has mentioned to me is to not visit the boat in the 72 hours before he arrives. I've been to the boat and removed the drawer so he can access the gas test point and the only changes since the last BSS are a new cooker and new fuel filter both of which he installed.

I used to use Radiomariner, late of this parish. He’d always check everything, even if it was just a cursory glance to ensure nothing had changed since the last time. 

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

he sounds the man for me is he anywhere near

So, the BSS examiner drives to your boat (from 20min to 2-3hours). 

Spends roughly an hour checking everything.

Drives home.

Fills in the forms and registers the BSS with CRT.

If they are *very* lucky, they have another test to do nearby. Unless they are *very* lucky, they'd struggle to fit in more than 2 tests a day and often not that. 

Check out how much a mechanic or plumber charges per hour, then come back and tell me that the BSS examiner is overcharging.

Mike from Blue Star surveys is good, I'd be ok with him doing an unaccompanied inspection. 

• Greenie 2

Unfortunately the last man is no longer doing tests. Just because it passed last time doesn't mean it will pass this even if nothing has changed. My friend last year got a fail on a fuel pipe to his diesel boiler fitted 22 years ago and never changed. It depends on the examiner.

Just now, Detling said:

Unfortunately the last man is no longer doing tests. Just because it passed last time doesn't mean it will pass this even if nothing has changed. My friend last year got a fail on a fuel pipe to his diesel boiler fitted 22 years ago and never changed. It depends on the examiner.

Indeed. I got a fail on a flexible fuel pipe that, prior to our ownership, had rubbed against a pulley, creating a groove in it. The previous two BSS checks had missed it. A quick run down to Sam at Foxton saw the old ends crimped onto a new piece of hose.