Jabsco water pump problem

Featured Posts

We have a Jabsco pro 2.9 water pump for the domestic water.

Every year I drain the system disconnect the water supply to the pump and run it to empty it so that it doesn't suffer frost damage. 

On Wednesday we regained access to the boat so I connected it up again and turned the water back on like I have done for the previous five years. This year it fired up but didn't appear to be moving much water at all and nothing came out of the taps. 

I decided to bring it home to have a closer look at what was going on. 

I've immersed it in water and connected it up to a car battery and it runs fine but is pumping backwards! If I reverse the battery connections it still pumps backwards. 

Has anyone got any good ideas before I spend the money on another pump? 

Well, it’s not a centrifugal pump, so it’s not like it’s spinning backwards. I can only assume that a valve is sticky or maybe a diaphragm Is split?  You can get Refurb kits although most folk who use them reckon that the pumps don’t last long after refurbing. 
https://www.asap-supplies.com/jabsco-pump-service-kit-18920-9043

Edited by WotEver
Shorten the ridiculously long link

You know, I think I might have been really stupid and reinstalled it the wrong way around. It's not bolted down so It's easy to rotate through 180 degrees. It's definitely pumping healthily. I wondered if there was a switch to make it reverse pump but from the tech document apparently not. 

I think it's idiot owner syndrome. Oh well, hopefully a free fix. I'll refit it tomorrow. 

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

You know, I think I might have been really stupid and reinstalled it the wrong way around. It's not bolted down so It's easy to rotate through 180 degrees. It's definitely pumping healthily. I wondered if there was a switch to make it reverse pump but from the tech document apparently not. 

I think it's idiot owner syndrome. Oh well, hopefully a free fix. I'll refit it tomorrow. 

Would you like to join the muppet club??

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

Check the inline strainer while you are there in case its full of crap

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

We've all been there.    Although some people are less likely to admit it than others ...

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Are the inlet and outlet not labelled with either text or arrows to indicate which is which?

Yes, arrows, but you need to look for them. Usually the cable route is agood guide.

Edited by Ex Brummie

19 hours ago, dor said:

We've all been there.    Although some people are less likely to admit it than others ...

I know of one eejut that had a fuel gauge on his boat and it said empty but he didnt believe it and ran out of fuel......100 yards after leaving the river lol.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I know of one eejut that had a fuel gauge on his boat and it said empty but he didnt believe it and ran out of fuel......100 yards after leaving the river lol.

What a plonker, eh? ;)

• Haha 1

All is well. Pump is working fine. I couldn't see any arrows on it but plenty of photos of them online connected up correctly. 

Once that was resolved the rest of the day was spent giving the boat a spring clean. 

Not sure about joining the muppet club. Myself and a colleague used to be known at work as Statler and Waldorf because we would comment on the shenanigans of the company owners.