New style Mastervolt Combi

jenevers

Featured Posts

On Ebay

NEW style Mastervolt Combimaster 12/3000-100 £1,540 

OLD style Mastervolt Mass Combi Pro 12/3000-150 £2,534

OK the old one has a bigger charger but how come it’s £1,000 more?

Also, why does everyone use Victron on YouTube vs Mastervolt?

3 minutes ago, jenevers said:

On Ebay

NEW style Mastervolt Combimaster 12/3000-100 £1,540 

OLD style Mastervolt Mass Combi Pro 12/3000-150 £2,534

OK the old one has a bigger charger but how come it’s £1,000 more?

Remember that Victron do not build their equipment for us leisure boaters - we are 'riding on the coat tails' of Victron's main customers.

I cannot envisage any requirement for a typical leisure boater to need a 150 amp battery charger.

8 hours ago, jenevers said:

Because the Victron cases are blue and show up much better on their videos. ?

New version of Mastervolt combi is £1000 less than the old. I'd only be complaining if I'd just paid ~£2500 for an old style one.

Jen

I was looking at this the other day. Rather surprisingly the new one consumes significantly more power when idling in inverter mode, than the old one. We leave our old style one on permanently, but I don’t think we could do that with the new one that takes 3A doing nothing.

• Horror 1

13 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I was looking at this the other day. Rather surprisingly the new one consumes significantly more power when idling in inverter mode, than the old one. We leave our old style one on permanently, but I don’t think we could do that with the new one that takes 3A doing nothing.

72Ah per day!!?

Just now, WotEver said:

72Ah per day!!?

My Sterling Pro Combi S 2500W, inverter/Charger, (bought in 2011), uses 4A when on but powering nothing.

96 Ah per day!!! There is no way you can leave these things on 24/7 :( 

17 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

My Sterling Pro Combi S 2500W, inverter/Charger, (bought in 2011), uses 4A when on but powering nothing.

I had one of those, but not for long it was on a boat I purchased I put it on ebay and bought a mastervolt for that boat. My combi is never switched off. It draws 0.4 of an amp when not running anything.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

That is why I would never buy a Sterling Combi! My Mastervolt 2500/100 uses 9w (ie around 0.75A) when idling in normal mode, 8w in low power mode (where it reduces the output voltage until it sense a load) or 0.5w where it pulses the output twice a second, looking for any load. Due to the 0.75A worst case, we don’t bother with any of the power saving modes.

And this is why the 3A static load of the new mastervolt is so astonishing! - assuming the spec sheet is correct.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Ours is slightly less, about 3A. Surprisingly, it takes less if powering a small load.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

That is why I would never buy a Sterling Combi! My Mastervolt 2500/100 uses 9w (ie around 0.75A) when idling in normal mode, 8w in low power mode (where it reduces the output voltage until it sense a load) or 0.5w where it pulses the output twice a second, looking for any load. Due to the 0.75A worst case, we don’t bother with any of the power saving modes.

And this is why the 3A static load of the new mastervolt is so astonishing! - assuming the spec sheet is correct.

Battery no-load power consumption 30 W (on mode) / < 1 mA (off mode)
Energy saving mode consumption 10 W

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:
Battery no-load power consumption 30 W (on mode) / < 1 mA (off mode)
Energy saving mode consumption 10 W

Yes it says 30w on one document (2.5A) and 36w in another (3A). Ok so the energy saving mode isn’t too bad but the problem with that is that it often doesn’t trigger with small load like phone chargers. We have some usb sockets integral with mains sockets and I want them to “just work” as they do now.

23 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes it says 30w on one document (2.5A) and 36w in another (3A). Ok so the energy saving mode isn’t too bad but the problem with that is that it often doesn’t trigger with small load like phone chargers. We have some usb sockets integral with mains sockets and I want them to “just work” as they do now.

Has the ownership of Mastervolt changed recently? Changes to the senior management? Are they sacrificing performance to get the cost down? Works for a while until they trash the brands reputation, but you can get a couple of years good sales out of that approach. That is a ridiculously high power wastage to do not a lot.

Jen

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Has the ownership of Mastervolt changed recently? Changes to the senior management? Are they sacrificing performance to get the cost down? Works for a while until they trash the brands reputation, but you can get a couple of years good sales out of that approach. That is a ridiculously high power wastage to do not a lot.

Jen

Agreed, but as mentioned it is reflected in the price. I just hope they don’t stop doing the “proper” ones. Ours is 10 years old and has been on for all that time (mostly on charger, but always on inverter when we are out cruising.).

By comparison, the nearest equivalent Victron, the Multiplus 12/3000/120 16A power transfer switch. £1,394.40 inc VAT from Onboard Energy.

Zero Load Power (W) 20

Zero load power in AES mode (W) 15

Zero load power in Search mode (W) 8

Still cheaper than the Mastervolt of the same output power and similar battery charger and significantly lower power consumption.

Jen

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

By comparison, the nearest equivalent Victron, the Multiplus 12/3000/120 16A power transfer switch. £1,394.40 inc VAT from Onboard Energy.

Zero Load Power (W) 20

Zero load power in AES mode (W) 15

Zero load power in Search mode (W) 8

Still cheaper than the Mastervolt of the same output power and similar battery charger and significantly lower power consumption.

Jen

Still twice as much as our current Mastervolt Combi, which is one reason why I prefer mastervolt - the other being that Victron Combi’s seem to be a bit troublesome with their charging regimes and intolerance of iffy mains waveforms, unless you change dip switches away from standard.

But if the only MV option becomes this new CombiMaster power guzzler, then yes I might have to bite the bullet and change allegiance!