Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Getting more like peoples Holiday snaps, the thread it is getting a bit boring though.

Why do yo feel the need to disrupt what so far has been a very interesting, informative and pleasantly free from aggro thread?

There is actually no need or compulsion for anyone bored by it to view it.

For the record the last two I posted were not taken on holiday but about two miles from home.

My little shopping trip yesterday as it was a nice day. 

It does 10 knots which is really wicked on the River in the winter. 

IMG_20221228_214710.jpg.47c3dd873fcb3796e965188da070ac7a.jpg

Today was a bit rougher so no good for pictures. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 3

34 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Why do yo feel the need to disrupt what so far has been a very interesting, informative and pleasantly free from aggro thread?

There is actually no need or compulsion for anyone bored by it to view it.

For the record the last two I posted were not taken on holiday but about two miles from home.

I find it a somewhat boring thread now and only pop in once every couple of days. I really went off it when I realised it was a case of posting other peoples photos. See you again about Friday

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I find it a somewhat boring thread now and only pop in once every couple of days. I really went off it when I realised it was a case of posting other peoples photos. See you again about Friday

Maybe it should be moved to a different section, History, Holidays?

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

For the record I only ever post photos that I have personally taken.

10 minutes ago, junior said:

Surely people are only posting thier own photos in here?

I've also commented on the other thread that's been created, but this should be canal/River related photos only.

Why?

The title says waterways. The UK has far more variety of waters than just rivers and canals.

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Canal is Anal with the Sea added .

Nothing wrong with with any of the above, it’s just that IMO the thread has just got bombarded with boring holiday snaps by people putting on pics for the sake of it. Most of which are just bad pictures, both in subject, composition and quality. 

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Nothing wrong with with any of the above, it’s just that IMO the thread has just got bombarded with boring holiday snaps by people putting on pics for the sake of it. Most of which are just bad pictures, both in subject, composition and quality. 

Indeed.  I'm not sure what a picture of a beach in 2020 has to do with what's nice on the waterways now?

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, M_JG said:

PXL-20220614-153945873.jpgJust realised the [Tees Barrier] picture I posted earlier has a swimming seal in it...

33508.jpg?v=2f1f86

C&RT (their picture) have spent many hours worrying about seals and salmon predation at the barrier, as described here. In summary they inherited a commitment to research the effect of the barrier on salmon migration (and other fish). One survey involved tagging smolt and monitoring their return from the ocean to breed. As an aside the results challenged the idea that all salmon return to the eact river where they were born. One of the experimental barrier-operation regimes had it opening at the state of the tide allowing salmon to jump the gate and enter thr river; however the noise of the barrier served as a dinner-gong for the seals, which had been lying in wait, and fish predation increased. As in the link there was a plan to have a pulse/noise generator in the lock to annoy the seals, while allowing fish to pass through. They also planned to photograph the seals in an attempt to identify those with large apetites (?)..  The fish pass steering group panel is made up the Angling Trust (AT) Environment Agency (EA) Salmon & Trout Conservation Trust (STCT), Tees River Trust (TRT), Industries Nature Conservation Association (INCA) Tees White Water Course (TWWC) and Canal & River Trust ... You Couldn't Make It Up

Edited by PeterScott
sp

3 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

33508.jpg?v=2f1f86

C&RT (their picture) have spent many hours worrying about seals and salmon predation at the barrier, as described here. In summary they inherited a commitment to research the effect of the barrier on salmon migration (and other fish). One survey involved tagging smolt and monitoring their return from the ocean to breed. As an aside the results challenged the idea that all salmon return to the eact river where they were born. One of the experimental barrier-operation regimes had it opening at the state of the tide allowing salmon to jump the gate and enter thr river; however the noise of the barrier served as a dinner-gong for the seals, which had been lying in wait, and fish predation increased. As in the link there was a plan to have a pulse/noise generator in the lock to annoy the seals, while allowing fish to pass through. They also planned to photograph the seals in an attempt to identify those with large apetites (?)..  The fish pass steering group panel is made up the Angling Trust (AT) Environment Agency (EA) Salmon & Trout Conservation Trust (STCT), Tees River Trust (TRT), Industries Nature Conservation Association (INCA) Tees White Water Course (TWWC) and Canal & River Trust ... You Couldn't Make It Up

I do know there is a 'fish pass' down one side of the control building but Ive never understood how its supposed to work TBH.

Maybe not a wonderful site but I am reasonably amazed that this one is still floating on the Thames near Marlow. It's been there a couple of years never seen anyone on it. I heard it was an eBay sale. That would add up. 

This was today. 

Teak I believe and was told there is a Gardner in there. Ex naval pinnace (easy answer when you have no idea what it is). 

Teak is nice firewood but the paint would be a nuisance and presence of copper fasteners would damage the same blade. 

IMG_20221229_150140.jpg.d5211421a0c29887a6479a3883b4e14c.jpg

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I do know there is a 'fish pass' down one side of the control building but Ive never understood how its supposed to work TBH.

The fish passes on weirs are aerated channels. I don't know the technical thing but I believe the fish are attracted by the aeration and they can swim up the slide whereas they would not be able to jump up an actual weir. 

Edited by magnetman