1 year out has tech changed?

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Hi folks, so ive been out of this world of boating for over a year and i was wondering if anything new and earth shattering had hit the market power/heating wise.....

Now im planning as of 1st of april to untie those mooring lines and travel the network for one year minimum...me and jo have a fairly simple boat....hot water from engine and calorifier (not good on cut) and heating from only the stove unfortunately!!!!! Cant afford a fancy eberspacher or webasto system as we have solar to pay for first...now we are looking to cruise and winter in a marina anyhow perhaps kings bromley (setting off from the K&A ) has anything affordable been produced or is it going to have to be cruise to heat water and run the boat engine every now and then (most days) to top up water and power if the sun is not shinning that day? Generators seem an option but still hot water will be needed 

Not in the last year.

When we are out and about we rely on the engine to provide hot water. Last year in the six months of the 'summer' I don't think we ran the ebersparky thingy for hot water at all. It does mean running the engine an hour a day but that is not a problem. We use a lot of lecky so solar couldn't always be relied on ...and when it gets hot you will want to be under trees so solar will not work. An hour a day of engine is simple.

If you are going to be marina based in the coldest months....as we do...then you will have shore power so you can heat the water via the cauliflower......you have got an immersion coil, don't you? If not, get one fitted. Quite cheap. 

Your solid fuel stove will be fine for heat as they don't often go wrong but when it's very cold you will be in the marina where you can use some oil filled electric rads.

I think the only thing you are missing is that when you go out for a week in deepest winter, the bedroom could get cold if the stove heat doesn't reach that far. With us, that is the time to use the ebersparky thingy but that then takes a lot of power. We use circa 6A to power ours so that is 24Ahrs needing replacing for 4 hours use with no solar. That means a lot more engine running but that's why I put lithium batteries on. If the bedroom is too cold then just stay in the marina till spring ....or fit an ebersparky thingy. 

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi folks, so ive been out of this world of boating for over a year and i was wondering if anything new and earth shattering had hit the market power/heating wise.....

Now im planning as of 1st of april to untie those mooring lines and travel the network for one year minimum...me and jo have a fairly simple boat....hot water from engine and calorifier (not good on cut) and heating from only the stove unfortunately!!!!! Cant afford a fancy eberspacher or webasto system as we have solar to pay for first...now we are looking to cruise and winter in a marina anyhow perhaps kings bromley (setting off from the K&A ) has anything affordable been produced or is it going to have to be cruise to heat water and run the boat engine every now and then (most days) to top up water and power if the sun is not shinning that day? Generators seem an option but still hot water will be needed 

Gas instantaneous water heaters are the solution. Morco, and friends.

MP.

Just now, Matt&Jo said:

Are they expensive....to run, fit etc....

No. They are cheapish to buy, easy to fit provided you have a gas supply and a place to fit it and only use gas to heat water as its needed. Brilliant bits of kit.

Hmmmmmmm may look into this then any recommended manufacturers that are reliable but reasonably priced

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

No. They are cheapish to buy, easy to fit provided you have a gas supply and a place to fit it and only use gas to heat water as its needed. Brilliant bits of kit.

I've a morco 11E (but it's 240v) I think. It's been flawless - other than a spider making a nest in the middle of a key pressure measurement sensor.

Mine works to the point that I can use mixer taps (e.g. shower) with effect; some others have said that this hasn't worked on theirs I think - may be wrong

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hmmmmmmm may look into this then any recommended manufacturers that are reliable but reasonably priced

Morco seem to be the ones at present. You may well find an old paloma or rinnai on fleabay or gumtree etc. They are all reliable and were fitted as number one choice to many boats for many years. They are a doddle to fit if space available.

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Not the prettiest of things but do work well.

(The big white thing screwed onto the wall)

This was a Vaillant on a boat we had a few years ago, we have subsequently used an Eberspacher as it is a 'tidier' option.

IMG_20130912_122258.jpg

Yes i did think that tony will need a fair number of hours but as i will be properly cc'ing this should not be toooooo much of an issue...intend to moor up for a few days in lovely spots then look to move on for a few more miles etc etc etc 

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

WARNING:-

Dr Bob is using Lithium batteries and as such they charge far faster than lead acids so if you have lead acids I very much doubt an hour a day's running plus solar will be enough apart from in high summer or if you install a lot of solar.

2 kettles, one permanently on the stove top, when it's cooked put it in the hearth to keep warm and heat up t'other. We have more or less constant hot water, then use our paloma (s/h) for showers only. 

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Morco seem to be the ones at present. You may well find an old paloma or rinnai on fleabay or gumtree etc. They are all reliable and were fitted as number one choice to many boats for many years. They are a doddle to fit if space available.

My Rinnai will be for sale this year. I am taking it out because I need the space and I hardly ever used it.