12 volt larder fridge

farther&son

Featured Posts

If you mean a 12V fridge without an ice box then I suspect you will have problems. If you are happy with an icebox in the fridge then it will be a matter of size.

A quick Google produced https://www.waecofridges.co.uk/

However if you are intent on looking for a "bargain" then take care many of the cheaper things use massive amounts of electricity.

17 minutes ago, farther&son said:

having a hard time finding a 12 volt larder fridge so any help websites would be great

As Alan says, buy a mains fridge. Vastly more choice and sizes, massively cheaper and very economical. Once you have a decent inverter you can also use that for a host of other things. Fred Flintstone probably had  a 12 volt fridge.

Just make sure any inverter is of a quality make. The cheaper it is the grater the current it uses to just work itself is likely to be and also the more unreliable. If this is to be a new installation do a power audit to make sure your battery bank size AND charging procedures are capable of supporting it. If you simply add a large current device to an existing system it so often ends with problems.

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

As Alan says, buy a mains fridge. Vastly more choice and sizes, massively cheaper and very economical.

Mind you, a mains fridge and a decent inverter to run it will be massively more expensive than just a 12v fridge.

AND you don't have the additional safety risks of having 240Vac in your boat, or all the expense of installing it. 

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You will find that 230v fridges are way, way, cheaper and more efficient.

Is that really the case?

Given they buy bog standard 240Vac fridges and swap the compressors for 12Vdc units, why would the fridge be any less efficient once the 12Vdc compressor has been fitted?

Surely the efficiency rating is mostly a function of the insulation, which does not change.

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that really the case?

Given they buy bog standard 240Vac fridges and swap the compressors for 12Vdc units, why would the fridge be any less efficient once the 12Vdc compressor has been fitted?

Surely the efficiency rating is mostly a function of the insulation, which does not change.

I think that the Waeco fridges are built from scratch as 12v appliances.

They certainly sell enough volume all over the world as it is one of the standard 'go to' companies for lumpy water types.

The 'Domestic' fridges / freezers have star-ratings so you can choose what level you want, the 12v models don't. I admit it is supposition but I would have thought the likes of Shoreline and other 'converters' would be unlikely to buy 'top of the range' 230v fridges to strip down, when they can just as easily use a 'lower spec' carcass. In my experience its how (most) business works. What they can get away with.

I've got one of these:

https://inlanderlowvoltage.com/product/12v-lec-55cm-silver-under-counter-fridge--13

It seemed to offer the most for the money and I spent a fair bit of time looking for a fridge. It's got a proper 4* freezer in the guise of an ice box (which holds 16L) and is based on a decent 240v fridge. It's been working really well in the 3 or 4 months I've had it. Inlander, who are based in the west Midlands, do a few smaller ones that are specifically "larder fridges", such as this one https://inlanderlowvoltage.com/product/12v-lec-larder-fridge-10 which comes in at under 500 quid. I doubt you'll get a fridge for much cheaper.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that the Waeco fridges are built from scratch as 12v appliances.

They certainly sell enough volume all over the world as it is one of the standard 'go to' companies for lumpy water types.

The 'Domestic' fridges / freezers have star-ratings so you can choose what level you want, the 12v models don't. I admit it is supposition but I would have thought the likes of Shoreline and other 'converters' would be unlikely to buy 'top of the range' 230v fridges to strip down, when they can just as easily use a 'lower spec' carcass. In my experience its how (most) business works. What they can get away with.

Having been a bit more involved with the process over the years, Alan 'has it in one'  Shoreline started out with Lec units as both companies were in Bognor - but it's more complicated than that. Som 'manufacturers' won't sell either a carcass or a complete unit to a 'refitter', thus you'll only get second or even third tier carcasses available.

I have a very ancient Batts / Lec fridge freezer which is very tired. It works fine but the door shelves are held in place with Gaffa tape. Cheap plastic degrades with age.... (twenty years isn't bad, though). I have an Liebherr fridge freezer ready to install which is said to be more efficient than some of its cheaper competitors.

Before I got that far, I borrowed a high fequency (how can 50 Hz be high frequency?) PSW inverter from Bimble and tested on a very ancient Bosch twin compressor tall FF. It ran that with no problems (as did a 1600W and 2Kw combo units from Sterling). All worked perfectly. None worked in eco mode (which I can't understand). The motors refused to start..

From my experience it's better to bite the bullet to get the cooling equipment that you want by using a good quality PSW inverter (which also will run your Tvs etc) and make your selection of fridge and freezer from the large range of 240v equipment that is available.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mind you, a mains fridge and a decent inverter to run it will be massively more expensive than just a 12v fridge.

Are you sure about that Mike?

I can get quite a selection of inverters and fridges for the price of a new Dometic 12V fridge.

If you dont want to use a mains fridge and inverter, an alternative to an expensive 12 volt fridge is to find a suitable mains fridge for your needs and a friendly refrigeration technician and get him to supply and fit a 12 volt Danfoss compressor.

My fridge and freezer are both Beko 230v units. ( a friends wife worked for them at the time and they were very reasonably priced) . Originally both worked via a Mastervolt inverter. When the inverter went belly up I replaced it (short term) with a Sterling 1800w modified sine inverter. It had no problem powering both the fridge and freezer. In time I went back to Mastervolt but that was unrelated to the performance of the fridge. Can't really comment on battery usage. 

On 11/11/2019 at 09:09, mrsmelly said:

As Alan says, buy a mains fridge. Vastly more choice and sizes, massively cheaper and very economical. Once you have a decent inverter you can also use that for a host of other things. Fred Flintstone probably had  a 12 volt fridge.

He still has but cant work out why his ecofan wont work on it.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:18, Alan de Enfield said:

I admit it is supposition but I would have thought the likes of Shoreline and other 'converters' would be unlikely to buy 'top of the range' 230v fridges to strip down, when they can just as easily use a 'lower spec' carcass. In my experience its how (most) business works. What they can get away with.

Although, to counter-speculate, they do fit Danfoss 12v compressors, which are pretty good. Would they bother to do that only to then ruin their overall product by using a poor cabinet?

3 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

I did what cuthound said, bought a new mains fridge freezer then bought a 12v compressor ang got a fridge man to fit and recharge, worked out less than half of the ready made ones and works great, the other thing you need is a 12v bulb, I forgot that doh.

which compressor did you fit and where did you buy it please?

Curious as the Danfoss costs over £500 in a cardboard box whenever I spot them for sale, then probably £150 to install it and regas.  Now youre up to the price of a 12v fridge anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

which compressor did you fit and where did you buy it please?

Curious as the Danfoss costs over £500 in a cardboard box whenever I spot them for sale, then probably £150 to install it and regas.  Now youre up to the price of a 12v fridge anyway. 

Would these be of interest ?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DC-12V-24V-compressor-DC-solar_245847105.html