Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
nicky79

Help !!Mooring problems

Featured Posts

Please help ,  I am in midst of buying our first narrowboat after years of holidaying on them but are having trouble finding moorings near Oxford.  Need to be by Oxford as I am on a transplant waiting list which will be done in Churchill Hospital ..  If anyone knows of any moorings preferably leisure could you please advise.     Many thanks Nicky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nicky79 said:

Please help ,  I am in midst of buying our first narrowboat after years of holidaying on them but are having trouble finding moorings near Oxford.  Need to be by Oxford as I am on a transplant waiting list which will be done in Churchill Hospital ..  If anyone knows of any moorings preferably leisure could you please advise.     Many thanks Nicky

 

Welcome Nicky,

 

How near to Oxford do you need? Oxford is a honeypot with massive demand for moorings so they are like hen's teeth anywhere near the city. Once you move out a few miles to places like Enslow or Banbury it all gets a little easier. Never gonna be cheap though. 

 

Cropredy Marina just norht of Banbury usually have space. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nicky79 said:

Please help ,  I am in midst of buying our first narrowboat after years of holidaying on them but are having trouble finding moorings near Oxford.  Need to be by Oxford as I am on a transplant waiting list which will be done in Churchill Hospital ..  If anyone knows of any moorings preferably leisure could you please advise.     Many thanks Nicky

Hi Nicky and welcome to the forum, there are a few members here that know the Oxford area well so I'm sure someone will be a long soon to help you out.... And there's one now 🤣 Anyway welcome and good luck with your search. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you

Mike I will have a look at those we live in Plymouth so have no canal systems here  I have my fingers and toes crossed 🤞

 

Edited by nicky79
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kingsground at Enslow were advertising a mooring a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bastion said:

Kingsground at Enslow were advertising a mooring a few days ago.


Thats a good point, I forgot about them. Not the easiest people to deal with in my experience though... 

 

Where are they advertising it?

 

Its a little marina by the way Nicky. Good community spirit there....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:


Thats a good point, I forgot about them. Not the easiest people to deal with in my experience though... 

 

Where are they advertising it?

 

Its a little marina by the way Nicky. Good community spirit there....

 

I think Tiff had it on a Facebook page, it was a' in the woods mooring' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bastion said:

I think Tiff had it on a Facebook page, it was a' in the woods mooring' 

 

There yer go Nicky, grab this with both hands, moorings like this rarely crop up. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nicky79 said:

Thanks mike and Sebastian I will definatley ring them tomorrowx

It might be worth phoning them today, most marinas have staff on duty on a Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It might be worth phoning them today, most marinas have staff on duty on a Sunday.

 

I'm not sure there IS any 'staff' at Enslow Marina. The guv'nor Richard deals with it all himself I suspect.

 

"Marina" is overselling the place by the way. It is a layby with about 15 boats on finger moorings.

 

Far preferable to a real marina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all x I have called Enslow and left a message so fingers crossed but any more suggestions would be reat . thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

I'm not sure there IS any 'staff' at Enslow Marina. The guv'nor Richard deals with it all himself I suspect.

 

"Marina" is overselling the place by the way. It is a layby with about 15 boats on finger moorings.

 

Far preferable to a real marina.

For the end-on moorings there's a railway line (don't know how busy it is..) within a few metres.

However, an earlier post said "in the woods mooring" - thus a bit further away from the trains, and don't mind the overhanging trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

Cropredy Marina has recently changed owners and it's planning consent does not permit residentials. 

The leisure moorings at Lower Heyford are not residential but I know certain people who lived aboard there for quite some time :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, nicky79 said:

Please help ,  I am in midst of buying our first narrowboat after years of holidaying on them but are having trouble finding moorings near Oxford.  Need to be by Oxford as I am on a transplant waiting list which will be done in Churchill Hospital ..  If anyone knows of any moorings preferably leisure could you please advise.     Many thanks Nicky

If you dont get sorted send me a pm. The Churchill is awesome, all the best people have their ops there 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure he is ' will try to get him tomorrow although I have just disccovered boat i was looking at is probably a scam  so not in so much of a rush untill I can find another. thanks for everyones help though😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The leisure moorings at Lower Heyford are not residential but I know certain people who lived aboard there for quite some time :rolleyes:

If you dont get sorted send me a pm. The Churchill is awesome, all the best people have their ops there 😊

But I'm street legal now😎  Others still do, though🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nicky79 said:

Im sure he is ' will try to get him tomorrow although I have just disccovered boat i was looking at is probably a scam  so not in so much of a rush untill I can find another. thanks for everyones help though😪

It is still worth getting a mooring, even with no boat. Moorings are a little harder to find than boats!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Old Son said:

It is still worth getting a mooring, even with no boat. Moorings are a little harder to find than boats!!

 

On the other hand, I suspect the whole of Nicky's plan might have been based on the fraudulent and misleading website above, which says you can get a decent 50ft narrowboat for about £8k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.