Narrowboat line drawing/side plan view

Johny London

Featured Posts

I'm trying to make a line drawing of my narrowboat so I can experiment with different colour schemes on the 'puter - 2 hours in and I'm nowhere. Has anyone got a fairly generic image I can use? I need to be able to infill different colours and add windows, coach lines etc. At this rate it's gonna be quicker just to get the paint out :(

3 hours ago, Johny London said:

I'm trying to make a line drawing of my narrowboat so I can experiment with different colour schemes on the 'puter - 2 hours in and I'm nowhere. Has anyone got a fairly generic image I can use? I need to be able to infill different colours and add windows, coach lines etc. At this rate it's gonna be quicker just to get the paint out :(

Google Image search|:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=663&ei=zC8zXbHhELGJlwSAkZTADA&q=narrowboat+side+elevation&oq=narrowboat+side+elevation&gs_l=img.3...1152.8090..8690...0.0..0.154.2182.23j3......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..35i39j0j0i8i30j0i24.gL10RJ__08s&ved=0ahUKEwix99rg5MPjAhWxxIUKHYAIBcgQ4dUDCAU&uact=5

5 hours ago, Johny London said:

We just took a photo of the boat then coloured it with different colours onscreen  ...

• Greenie 1

Thanks all - I wanted to take pictures of each side then colour in, but I can't get the perspective where I am now. 

I've been on it all day - GIMP id not the most user friendly program to use.

I've got light blue sides and light grey gunnels already so just want to add some panelling and lines to finish.

Where do you get lining tape, can it come in whatever colour you want? How much is it and what's a good one!?

I've done all combinations of scheme that take into account what I already have (tin of dark blue on standby) thinking like this...

Narrowboat paint scheme 1.jpg

Narrowboat paint scheme 3.jpg

or

Narrowboat paint scheme 5.jpg

Narrowboat paint scheme 11.jpg

I put mine up for opinions - or also if anyone wants to use them to adapt and modify for their own uses. You can easily bucket fill the colours.

Still after tape - I guess chandlers but presume it will be well over priced and I need rather a lot (60m+?).

17 hours ago, Johny London said:

Where do you get lining tape, can it come in whatever colour you want? How much is it and what's a good one!?

Most pro painters use two lengths of masking tape and paint in between. Or you can paint a band in the line colour first, stick a single line of masking tape down the middle, then paint the panel and border either side.

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Most pro painters use two lengths of masking tape and paint in between.

I'm not a pro painter. If you look down the sides of my boat you can see the wobble in the lines from where I didn't get the masking tape straight. 

?

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'm not a pro painter. If you look down the sides of my boat you can see the wobble in the lines from where I didn't get the masking tape straight. 

?

But if you can't stick masking tape on straight, then you probably can't stick a vinyl tape down any straighter!

On 21/07/2019 at 04:18, TheBiscuits said:

We just took a photo of the boat then coloured it with different colours onscreen  ...

Careful. Somebody following your advice might end up painting the screen of their computer monitor in their chosen colour scheme!

Edited by DandV

I've seen plenty boats that use stick on line tape - Alvechurch type ones for one with their yellow lines. Makes a lot more sense than all the extra masking.

But if painting and your lines are not straight, surely that would be apparent at the masking tape stage? I'd be concerned about not getting a good clean edge though.