Open Canal Map

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

When I zoom in on this, I get a stack of weird references showing up. Don't remember seeing them before. Pic below shows a few, such as "///pardon. newlywed. taking". All very odd... some are very peculiar indeed.  Anyone else see these or has my tablet gone eccentric? 

Screenshot_2019-06-16_213907.jpg

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When I zoom in on this, I get a stack of weird references showing up. Don't remember seeing them before. Pic below shows a few, such as "///pardon. newlywed. taking". All very odd... some are very peculiar indeed.  Anyone else see these or has my tablet gone eccentric? 

Screenshot_2019-06-16_213907.jpg

Its the app. What 3 words, a fantastic bit of kit everyone should have. It could save your life and its free.

Wife and I have it on both fones, takes seconds to download.

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its the app. What 3 words, a fantastic bit of kit everyone should have. It could save your life and its free.

Well look at you all hip and with it and every thing ?

I saw a Ted Talk on this a while back that was pretty cool but I've never used the app.

https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Mrsmelly you surprise me with you knowledge of what 3 words ?

Just now, Rob-M said:

Mrsmelly you surprise me with you knowledge of what 3 words ?

Yeah me too ? Cant remember were I heard about it but its bloody clever. Downloads in seconds and tells u precisely were you are in the World ont smart fone, also works without smartfone providing you know the three words of yer location innitt. 

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Well look at you a hip and with it and every thing ?

I saw a Ted Talk on this a while back that was pretty cool but I've never used the app.

https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

Download it now on yer fone and click on it and it will show you your three words as you move around. Fall ill in the middle of nowhere and if u have a signal you will be found if ya can still work the fone :D

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ah, now I understand, I'd forgotten that thing. Not a great deal of use to me as I've only got a thickphone but I can see its value. 

What that thing that you took the screen shot on in your first post? That looks like a tablet and they have apps. 

You don't have to tell me what it is ? and you probbly think you'll never use it but, I'm just saying it's maybe an option, if you wanted it to be. 

What 3 words is IMHO a brilliant idea and is currently being rolled out by UK emergency services. 

https://what3words.com/2019/03/uk-emergency-services-rollout-what3words-in-control-rooms-to-save-resources-time-and-lives/

Would be ideal for us boaters if delivery services were to adopt it use. 

Eta

Likewise CRT and RCR

Edited by reg

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Can see someone suing the company who came up with this because their house is at ///sewage.smelling.hovel and they can't sell it.

not a valid w3w location - I understand they were quite careful not to have offensive combinations when they set it up.

I do like https://what3words.com/stored.voter.riots though! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Can see someone suing the company who came up with this because their house is at ///sewage.smelling.hovel and they can't sell it.

Jen

If they've got a whole house with a bit of front garden like me they'll be fine because the squares are small enough that they can use an adjacent one with a nicer name. I have some cool names to choose from, but sadly cannot share these with the forum without giving away my address to the Internet.

I'm not sure how this thing will work with flats, many flats wouldn't have any code that's theirs only. My niece who's in a tower block will share the same code(s) with ten other flats above and below hers.

But on the plus side I suppose when this drone delivery idea for parcels gets going I could get Amazon or whoever to land the thing nicely on my back lawn?

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Canalplan has implemented it along with some other geotagging systems