Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tim Lewis

Blisworth Tunnel Rebuild 1983

Featured Posts

That'd be interesting I was around in those days, however your link goes to ...

 

Noconfiguration file found and no installation code available. Exiting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

That'd be interesting I was around in those days, however your link goes to ...

 

Noconfiguration file found and no installation code available. Exiting...

It was there an hour ago when I read it and gave Tim a green thing, very interesting and detailed.

Edited by matty40s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I get this ….

 

 
 

The requested page can't be found.

An error has occurred while processing your request.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  • an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  • a mistyped address
  • a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  • you have no access to this page

You may wish to search the site or visit the home page.

Search this site

Search ...  

Go to the Home Page

Home Page


If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site and report the error below.

404 Category not found

Back to Top

© 2019 NB Fulbourne

 

P'raps it's just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Now I get this ….

 

 
 

The requested page can't be found.

An error has occurred while processing your request.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  • an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  • a mistyped address
  • a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  • you have no access to this page

You may wish to search the site or visit the home page.

Search this site

Search ...  

Go to the Home Page

Home Page


If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site and report the error below.

404 Category not found

Back to Top

© 2019 NB Fulbourne

 

P'raps it's just me?

Problems with web site, it will be back soon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Problems with web site, it will be back soon!

 

Now working ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate to have a trip into the tunnel whilst the repairs were being undertaken in 1983.  We climbed into  the spoil removing dumper truck  at the Blisworth end which reversed at an alarming speed to the  the site of the repair.

 

Definitely a good day out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tacet said:

I was fortunate to have a trip into the tunnel whilst the repairs were being undertaken in 1983.  We climbed into  the spoil removing dumper truck  at the Blisworth end which reversed at an alarming speed to the  the site of the repair.

 

Definitely a good day out. 

Not long after I went to a talk about the tunnel works, the backwards trip in the dumper was certainly mentioned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tacet said:

I was fortunate to have a trip into the tunnel whilst the repairs were being undertaken in 1983.  We climbed into  the spoil removing dumper truck  at the Blisworth end which reversed at an alarming speed to the  the site of the repair.

 

Definitely a good day out. 

If my memory is working, Sue Yates and Sean Lloyd  experienced the hurtling through Blisworth backwards in the big dumper, and one was heard to comment to the other …

"Fastest thing through here since Arthur Bray!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the typo.

I suppose a tunnel is a funnel just underground and horizontal, just like a factory chimney could be described as a mine shaft above ground and vertical.

 

blisworth.png.74a281145a176988ecf6c843abd209a9.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typo. Funnels go from wide to narrow.

 

Same method as used in the deep tube lines on the Underground (Ooops! Trains again . . .) They used the Greathead shield which was circular in shape. Brunel's was rectangular and comprised 12 sections for workmen with picks, though Greathead was thought to have taken the idea from Brunel. Different patents though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they used some of the same rings for a short section near the north end of Crick tunnel ?? I spotted some concrete rings a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/05/2019 at 10:31, Tim Lewis said:

Came across a set of interesting commercially produced slides recently describing the repairs to Blisworth Tunnel in 1983. Have uploaded them to:

http://www.fulbourne.org.uk/index.php/miscellaneous/blisworth-tunel-reconstruction-1980-s

 

Tim

Thanks, very interesting. I was not surprised by the focus on avoiding an uncontrolled collapse in front of the shield - I guess not as much of a problem with a new tunnel.  I think I spotted one guy smoking a cigarette. 

 

Here's a recent shot of the tunnel segments for the Thames tideway tunnel.

 

dsc_2757.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks, very interesting. I was not surprised by the focus on avoiding an uncontrolled collapse in front of the shield - I guess not as much of a problem with a new tunnel.  I think I spotted one guy smoking a cigarette. 

 

Here's a recent shot of the tunnel segments for the Thames tideway tunnel.

 

dsc_2757.jpg

The tideway tunnel is being constructed through virgin round using Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM's)   Using TBMS's generally means that there is no exposed face thus avoiding the potential to collapse into the shield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think they used some of the same rings for a short section near the north end of Crick tunnel ?? I spotted some concrete rings a few days ago.

 

They certainly used some in the central section of Preston Brook tunnel, but to install those they simply dug a big hole from the surface, bolted the tunnel segments togther and backfilled over them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a short section near the Foxton end of Crick tunnel is made of Blisworth type rings.  I do not know if they are identical to Bliswworth or special to Crick.

N

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.