Do you really need windows?

Neil2

Featured Posts

The thread about spray foam insulation in the bilges got me thinking.

You see boats with nothing more than a few portholes and I've always presumed that this is driven by security concerns.

But given that on a narrowboat windows provide more of an opportunity for the outside world to look at you, rather than the other way round, there's surely something to be said for eschewing windows on a maintenance/leak reduction basis?

I don't think I've ever been on a NB with nothing but portholes and I wonder if it's possible to retain a feeling of still being connected to the outside world ie can you get enough natural light into the boat with them, or does it feel like sitting in a storm drain?

You see boats with nothing more than a few portholes and I've always presumed that this is driven by security concerns.

But given that on a narrowboat windows provide more of an opportunity for the outside world to look at you, rather than the other way round, there's surely something to be said for eschewing windows on a maintenance/leak reduction basis?

I don't think I've ever been on a NB with nothing but portholes and I wonder if it's possible to retain a feeling of still being connected to the outside world ie can you get enough natural light into the boat with them, or does it feel like sitting in a storm drain?

Our boat is all portholes 17 of them. I know of several boats the same. Plenty of light unless you like living in a Greenhouse or bus possibly.

Melaleca has only portholes on the sides, but two 4 foot by about 18 inch skylights which totally solves the lighting problem, without making you feel like you're in a goldfish bowl. We do have windows and glazed doors at the front, towards the tug deck.

It's an arrangement which I very much like.

MP.

When I read the topic heading I thought this thread might be about windows v Linux or other operating systems**............. sorry!

In the days of wooden cabins some boats had sliding external shutters to cover the windows. There is no reason why something similar (and lockable) couldn't be welded to a steel cabin (at a cost). They could be sliding or hinged and if done properly can look pretty good. I don't think most people would feel comfortable with no windows or portholes.

**Alan beat me to it laugh.png

Edited by PhilR
  • Haha 1

Yer kiddin!

Bus windows are an abomination unto the lord. Portholes are the reel thing, Innit, duh. Have you no taste?

Roof lights R the sekrit...

MtB

We are currently looking for a replacement boat, hopefully a working boat with a full cabin conversion on.

I know it is unfashionable, but I have to say so far we are far more drawn towards those with decent sized windows than those based on port-holes.

I agree roof-lights, dog boxes, etc are a reasonable way of getting light in if restricted to port-holes, but this seems to remove any claimed security advantages of portholes over windows, as those large cut-outs in the roof seem pretty hard to secure in a tidy way any better than windows in the sides.

There isn't a lot of choice, and we certainly wouldn't reject an all port-holes boat if it ticked lots of other boxes, but I fail to see why people think port-holes are the only thing you can have and windows are wrong for a narrow boat. What was there originally were deck-board, cratch, masts, top planks and cloths covering an empty hold. If you are going to throw all that away, and replace with a large steel box, why are windows any less appropriate in that non-original box than anything else? I don't get it. Might as well be able to see out properly!

Bus windows are an abomination unto the lord. Portholes are the reel thing, Innit, duh. Have you no taste?

See, I told you.

For "Reg" to be the "reel thing" there would be no (or very little?) cabin, no engine and definitely no port-holes! Get it sorted, Mike!

I agree roof-lights, dog boxes, etc are a reasonable way of getting light in if restricted to port-holes, but this seems to remove any claimed security advantages of portholes over windows, as those large cut-outs in the roof seem pretty hard to secure in a tidy way any better than windows in the sides.

I'm not sure what kind of Dog box you mean, ours though have 4 port holes and can be easily and very well secured from the inside using bolts or even latches, it's 5 f/t x 3 f/t

We've always called this a pigeon box although a large one, someone posted once correcting it was a Dog box laugh.png Maybe it is a dog box!

DSCF2570_zpsfa071947.jpg

Even if entry is gained this way, it's pretty easy to get in, but it's pretty tricky to get stuff out.

Portholes work extremely well for us though, and reading threads today with regard to condensation on the larger windows and frames really glad we went for portholes for all the other positive reasons as well.

I'm not sure what kind of Dog box you mean, ours though have 4 port holes and can be easily and very well secured from the inside using bolts or even latches, it's 5 f/t x 3 f/t

We've always called this a pigeon box although a large one, someone posted once correcting it was a Dog box laugh.pngMaybe it is a dog box!

At that size I think it is probably a horse box!

Our 60ft boat has all port holes,12 of them and would not have windows. We had huge windows on our previous boat, never again.

Phil

There's a (U) boat on the L&L which doesn't have windows. It does have a periscope though. Not sure if that counts as a window!

And a side hatch - which, as it doesn't have working torpedoes, I presume is to disembark frogmen to attach limpet mines on overstayers!

Edited by NB Ellisiana

No windows or ports is IMO not a good option. If you have no natural light then you have to compensate with extremely good and bright artificial light. My forward cabin used to have no natural light apart from 2 portholes in the access scuttle and this had a tendency to make it rather depressing, especially during the dark winter months.

Replacing the doors on the scuttle with double glazed ones and inserting a couple of "barge light" prisms helped a lot but the artificial light requirement is much greater than in other parts of the barge where there are plenty of sources of natural light

It's like a storm drain.

DSC00487_zps54900a11.jpg

DSC00474_zps6d495edb.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Strikes me a lot is to do with how the interior of the boat is decorated/painted as well as the actual number of portholes.

The light interiors like Mikes boat obviously help 'reflect' what light is entering the boat around. We looked at a few all porthole boats when buying and some of them did indeed have very dark interiors mainly because of the small number AND how dark the walls were.

Our boat has both bus windows and portholes which I know is not to every-bodies taste, but we like it.

Edited by The Dog House

Yer kiddin!

Roof lights R the sekrit...

Portholes to windows are like cassettes to pump outs :D

But FWIW I am a bus window and porta potti heathen! Daylight for me! icecream.gif

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Portholes to windows are like cassettes to pump outs biggrin.png

But FWIW I am a bus window and porta potti heathen! Daylight for me! icecream.gif

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Don't sell yoursef short. 'Phaps just 1/2 way to being a heathen.

I've been looking at boats (for to long with no result) and, with the exception of Wild Otter, the ones I have felt most at home with have been porthole. Not big round windows though.

If I want to look about I can take me+dog for a walk & LED lights can deal with the rest.

Good call on bog though.

Edit: Sorry about hickups. Not sure if the lappy is bugged or buggered needs mending with a new one..

Edited by Taslim

Strikes me a lot is to do with how the interior of the boat is decorated/painted as well as the actual number of portholes.

The light interiors like Mikes boat obviously help 'reflect' what light is entering the boat around. We looked at a few all porthole boats when buying and some of them did indeed have very dark interiors mainly because of the small number AND how dark the walls were...................

By the same token I recall looking at a boat earlier in the year that was all windows yet surprisingly dark inside owing to the layout and the colour of the walls.

Thinking on, yachts tend to have minimal fenestration but I can't think of any I've been on that felt particularly gloomy inside, but they also tend to have bright interiors.