Using my boat for Glamping...sited on dry land

Emz

Featured Posts

Hi. I'm not really where to look for advice but hoping someone can help me. I currently have a 27ft Springer ( I believe) that I want to site on land and use as a Glamping accommodation. Is there someone near that could advise/help on conversion? Really lost on the technical side. I love this boat and would really like to see her in use. I'm in Ashbourne, Derbyshire if anyone fancies it? 

1 minute ago, Emz said:

Hi. I'm not really where to look for advice but hoping someone can help me. I currently have a 27ft Springer ( I believe) that I want to site on land and use as a Glamping accommodation. Is there someone near that could advise/help on conversion? Really lost on the technical side. I love this boat and would really like to see her in use. I'm in Ashbourne, Derbyshire if anyone fancies it? 

sounds like a good idea for an old boat

I dont think it's a mad idea at all, for instance, old train carriages make wonderful 'tents' so a Springer could look marvellous and decorated with a trendy nautical theme perhaps. My daughter recently paid £175 to stay three days in a glamorous shed in somebody's garden, admittedy it had surrounding stunning views. 

I love my narrowboat home and would hate to leave it so Ive considered that when I become unable to manage the boat I'd like to have it plumbed to a water and electric system on the land and somewhere warm. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Athy said:

One problem might be that, being a Springer, it will have a V rather than a flat bottom and would thus need shoring up with railway sleepers or similar to prevent it from toppling over.

But unless you want to climb up and down ladders/steps each time you get on or off or you cut a hole in the hull you will need some kind of hole to drop it into so the hole profile could take care of the V bottom.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

One problem might be that, being a Springer, it will have a V rather than a flat bottom and would thus need shoring up with railway sleepers or similar to prevent it from toppling over.

Once stabilised it could then be clad in a suitable material which might provide storage and hide gas bottles or suchlike. 

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But unless you want to climb up and down ladders/steps each time you get on or off or you cut a hole in the hull you will need some kind of hole to drop it into so the hole profile could take care of the V bottom.

This. 

It it sounds like a great project :)

The vee bottom may be an asset if set into a gravel soak away, having nowhere for water to sit against. Could look stunning planted up with cornflowers, love in a mist, etc. to give the impression of water around the hull.

Edited by BWM

15 hours ago, Emz said:

A great idea, I've stayed in a few odd sites including railway carriage (very nice) and a prison cell (odd and slightly creepy) but it might be worth considering effect of the exposed hull to the interior temp, as most underwater bits are not insulated 

Edited by tree monkey

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'd prop it up with a couple of old car coil springs or piles of sponge rubber. This would replicate a rolling motion as if at sea, when its walked about in,

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

:clapping:

Or you could drop it into something liquid, such as water. That could work.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

:clapping:

Or you could drop it into something liquid, such as water. That could work.

Predictable... but inevitable that somebody responded to the trap. 

7 minutes ago, Winn said:

Predictable... but inevitable that somebody responded to the trap. 

You feel that the original post is a hoax? I'm not sure - after all, there's that boat in a field on (or rather just off) the Oxford Canal.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

You feel that the original post is a hoax? I'm not sure - after all, there's that boat in a field on (or rather just off) the Oxford Canal.

Agreed Athy, and it's not as if it's  The First of April / a strange nom de plume  [eng: pen of my aunt]

Just now, Athy said:

sigh...  you didnt see the trap? .... set up by Tony?  

(doesn't work when you have to explain it!)