Any scrap electric cars available?

Featured Posts

There was a place in Southall on the industrial site where the gas works used to be, they removed batteries and had a fair amount of cars laying around. Don't know the exact details but it might give you something to work with. 

26 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I was thinking all the mechanics as well as electrics, motor/s, gears.

Why? most have lithium batteries high speed AC motors whats the point? An electric DC motor out of a forklift are plentiful and cheap, and spin at the right RPM for boats, Batteries I bought LifePo4s which are the much safer option

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Why? most have lithium batteries high speed AC motors whats the point? An electric DC motor out of a forklift are plentiful and cheap, and spin at the right RPM for boats, Batteries I bought LifePo4s which are the much safer option

There are 'lots' / some / several videos on U-tube showing Lithiums in cars and I suspect they'd be a pain to put in a boat IMO that the system runs on high voltage - none your 12v rubbish - more like 48v (guess).

Proper fork lift truck batteries are more suitable for boats... 

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

the system runs on high voltage - none your 12v rubbish - more like 48v (guess).

Ooohhh... your guess is miles out... 400V, 500V and even 600V in most of the high-end cars is my understanding. I’m not saying that the motors are 600V (although they might be I guess), but the voltage out of the battery and into the controllers are of that magnitude. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Ooohhh... your guess is miles out... 400V, 500V and even 600V in most of the high-end cars is my understanding. I’m not saying that the motors are 600V (although they might be I guess), but the voltage out of the battery and into the controllers are of that magnitude. 

The owner of our local (independent) garage was having a moan about the problems electric vehicles are causing him.

He has had to send all his mechanics onto 'high voltage' (600v) training courses (at his expense), his customers are complaining about being charged £600 to change a tyre (apparently the whole electrics have to be disconnected and the drive motors removed as they are built into the wheel. then customers complain that they are not getting the claimed mileage per charge (forgetting that driving at night, going up and down hills all drains the batteries.

And so on & so on...…………………..

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

There are 'lots' / some / several videos on U-tube showing Lithiums in cars and I suspect they'd be a pain to put in a boat IMO that the system runs on high voltage - none your 12v rubbish - more like 48v (guess).

Proper fork lift truck batteries are more suitable for boats... 

LifePo4s are better than forklift truck batteries firstly they are lighter, secondly they are more power dense, thirdly they will last a lot longer, fourthly they charge much much faster, I could go on but the reality is I have 14 LifePo4s on my boat and they are a joy unlike the forklift batteries before them.

45 minutes ago, peterboat said:

LifePo4s are better than forklift truck batteries firstly they are lighter, secondly they are more power dense, thirdly they will last a lot longer, fourthly they charge much much faster, I could go on but the reality is I have 14 LifePo4s on my boat and they are a joy unlike the forklift batteries before them.

Very interesting.

What's the total capacity and your system voltage (that is, are they individual cells or battery bank(s) ?)

6 hours ago, Athy said:

I would think that electric cars are too recent a phenomenon for scrap ones to be plentiful. There are probably scrap milk floats around, though.

There is a company locally that acquires scrapped Tesla's for all over Europe and put all the "gubbins" in restored classic cars (very successfully)

48 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Very interesting.

What's the total capacity and your system voltage (that is, are they individual cells or battery bank(s) ?)

They are twelve volt batteries I have four for domestic at 24 volts and two banks of five for running the electric motor. The batteries in my case are charged to 13.8 volts which is best for having a long life, in my case that's ten thousand cycles down to 80% of capacity..

30 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

There is a company locally that acquires scrapped Tesla's for all over Europe and put all the "gubbins" in restored classic cars (very successfully)

That's good to know thanks

• Greenie 1