Gas prices

Gareth E

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Ooops :

As I showed further down the post - indeed 1 litre = 0.51 Kgs.

So 13kg gas cylinder contains 26 litres of propane.

Going to have to start seriously thinking about refilling my own, and work out a way to carry them on my motor bike.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes so not quite the 'foaming at the mouth' rip-off some here originally thought eh!

Especially not once refilling costs, bottle testing and marking costs and transport costs are also added in.

No, but around 15 quid to around 34 is still a rip off, just not one that makes one foam at the mouth.

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Which is clearly unacceptable. I expect for the extortionate price Calor charge, they check the integrity/safety of each returned bottle and valve prior to refilling it.

They most certainly do not, i worked for them for a number of years. There were many we returned with faulty valves and one in particular that had been filled with water that came back to our depot again and again, despite being labelled. One particularly entertaining event concerned one that had been adapted for smuggling, my supervisor dragged it off the trailer and let it fall, as was normal when shifting hundreds per day, at which point the base fell off!

His expression was of someone resigned to meeting his maker for a split second. A clever arrangement, with a small reservoir of gas in the top to foil customs i presume-all completely undetected by the bottling plant. 

• Horror 2

1 minute ago, Gareth E said:

Going to have to start seriously thinking about refilling my own, and work out a way to carry them on my motor bike.

Stand by for incoming …………………………...

I re-fill my own Camping gas cartridges, from larger cartridges. It is quite widely accepted amongst walkers / hikers (but from a previous thread - apparently not in Scotland, which surprises me.

34 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

No, but around 15 quid to around 34 is still a rip off, just not one that makes one foam at the mouth.

How many a month do you use then? Is it really worth the considerable extra effort and twarting about Vs the increased risk and higher cost? 

How much value do you put on your time? How much will you have to 'invest' in gadgets? Where will you get the gas from at £15 for 26 litres? All to save £19, once a month, or six weeks?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I run my car on lpg so this thread is interesting for me (gas guzzling 2.4 litres 4x4 and on a value basis get 40mpg round town)

There must be a tech guru who can adapt the content of this video for boats. Although I suspect the sticking point will be the garage where you try to fill a loose tank.

7 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Although I suspect the sticking point will be the garage where you try to fill a loose tank.

Well yes, this is it. And buying only £15 of LPG at the car LPG pump will flag you up as being a self filler.

Peter, where do your motorhome fixed installations fill up? In LPG garages? Are the garages ok with this?

19 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

There must be a tech guru who can adapt the content of this video for boats. Although I suspect the sticking point will be the garage where you try to fill a loose tank.

No problem , the equipment is available and many garages support it.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/refilling-retailers.html

Gives a list of about 300 filling stations.

Safefill joined the APEA and PEIMF and through these associations was introduced to members of the PRA who, in turn, greeted the new, innovative product with enthusiasm and acceptance. The PRA could see the benefits of Safefill and how, by customers using Safefill, LPG sales would increase as would footfall to the forecourts. Safefill may even reduce the amount of illegal and unsafe filling of rented steel cylinders with adaptors. This change in policy will enable forecourt operators with LPG dispensing facilities to tap into another market, as Safefill’s portable solution is convenient for customers and that convenience can only translate into increased footfall on the forecourt. The PRA, from the onset, have guided, advised and supported Safefill in its push for change and are instrumental in the change in policy for the filling of user-owned refillable cylinders on forecourts .

“We are delighted that, at the recent meeting of the Petroleum Equipment Liaison Group (PELG), there was a unanimous agreement to permit the refilling of LPG cylinders, which are designed to be refilled, from Autogas dispensers.”

Safefill cylinders comply with international standards and approvals and do not BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion). Also, a Safefill risk assessment is available for forecourt filling. This is intended for use in conjunction with the site assessments already required for the operation of LPG-only and LPG+ petroleum dispensing sites. Following the change in The Red Guide and the updating of User Information Sheet 26, to include the refilling of portable cylinders such as Safefill, Safefill looks forward to an acceptance, by all forecourts, to allow the refilling of cylinders specifically designed to be refilled.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I re-fill my own Camping gas cartridges, from larger cartridges. It is quite widely accepted amongst walkers / hikers 

Do you provide a campingaz refilling service for 907 cylinders?

Bit of a slog reading through this, but anybody really interested in filling their own tank should have a look

http://www.safefill.co.uk/pdf/petrol-heads-up-2017.pdf

eta - beaten to it by alan de E (took me a while to find the article!)

Edited by Mike Tee

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, I do cartridges not cylinders (haven't we had this discussion previously ?)

Don't think so but apologies if we have

Always looking for cheaper way to refill the gas but rarely finding anything that is viable.

I did find one source but when  he realised the normal retail price there was some instant inflation !

Looking on the interweb the prices for campingaz 907  refills doesn't seem to have gone up recently but the price is already  ridiculously high at £35 for 2.7kg of gas   . I think they charge whatever they think they can get away with.

Any more and it may be cheaper to eat out !

Does anyone know if Capital Gas alongside the canal is Stoke on Trent is still selling at substantially below the normal price? Every time I've been past they've always been the cheapest on the cut. There is another place at Castleford that sells cheap gas but, since the bottle ran out about 10 before we expected it to (they last us 8 weeks), I suspect that they rather underfill the bottle.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It doesn't go back thatttt far.When we first moved aboard, a 13kg bottle was about 13 quid iirc.

I can remember hiring a portable catalytic gas heater and bottle from UCC at Braunston, to heat our camping boat for a week. It cost 50p. That was back in October 1974.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

Looking on the interweb the prices for campingaz 907  refills doesn't seem to have gone up recently but the price is already  ridiculously high at £35 for 2.7kg of gas   . I think they charge whatever they think they can get away with.

Any more and it may be cheaper to eat out !

Well the gas is free as any fule kno. Its the getting of it out the ground, filling and supply chain to you that costs the £35.

Nothing stopping you going and getting it out of the north sea yourself, is there, if you resent paying someone else to do it?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well the gas is free as any fule kno. Its the getting of it out the ground, filling and supply chain to you that costs the £35.

Nothing stopping you going and getting it out of the north sea yourself, is there, if you resent paying someone else to do it?

It is a discretionary purchase - no one is making anyone buy it.

There are other 'brands' available and alternative sources of energy at lower costs.

You pay for convenience, cleanliness, and energy stored.

It is interesting to look at the 'energy' of alternative fuel sources (here is part of a presentation I did for another forum)

Hexamine = 8 Wh / gram
Chafing Gel = 7.44 Wh / gram
Propane LPG = 13.6Wh / gram
Mixed Camping Gas = 14.2 Wh / gram
Seasoned Dry Wood = 4.2 Wh / gram
Methylated Spirit = 7.22 Wh/Gram
Petrol / Diesel = 12.5Wh / gram
Anthracite = 8.6 Wh / gram

LPG has getting on for twice the energy of Smokeless fuel, three times the energy of wood and about 10% more than diesel.

• Greenie 1