Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Banbury Canal Side - Anyone Remember What it Was Like 70's?

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, mark99 said:

There was a boat directly moored right under where the 12 inch reamer was bored twice under the canal. ;)

how did someone moor a boat under the canal?

• Happy 1

On 11/10/2018 at 14:24, mark99 said:

Long story short.

We have directionally drilled multiple utilities under the Cherwell under Cherwell side stream across the park across a road and under the canal (twice) via and according to the requisite licences from the respective authorities.

On offside of canal, there are two pressurised utilities laid in 70's in line of our target shots, which to damage would create untold grief for the town and canal. The records show the things in the canal which was just erroneous.  Hence lots of survey to find them including radar so we did not drill into them whilst keeping our licenced proximity from the structure.

It became apparent the ground levels have vastly changed - where better to glean further info than here.

The last canal bore was just completed today at noon following loads of careful investigative work and deep excavations proving negatives. (if you can't find you make sure you aim for where you know it's not).

That's boring.

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2018 at 20:49, alan_fincher said:

This is interesting, but I really can't recall Banbury very well, and we have not been through by boat for some yeras now.

Interestingly old Nicholsons guides from the era of the photograph don't show the arm you mention, so I don't think it aws a naviable feature back then.

I note my photo shows clear electricity pylons.  Google Maps doesn't apera to show any pylons in Banbuy, so if the picture is Banbury, they must be another thing that has disappeared I think.

This might help.   https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.0725&lon=-1.3362&layers=6&right=BingHyb