Banbury Canal Side - Anyone Remember What it Was Like 70's?

mark99

Featured Posts

On 11/10/2018 at 14:24, mark99 said:

Long story short.

We have directionally drilled multiple utilities under the Cherwell under Cherwell side stream across the park across a road and under the canal (twice) via and according to the requisite licences from the respective authorities.

On offside of canal, there are two pressurised utilities laid in 70's in line of our target shots, which to damage would create untold grief for the town and canal. The records show the things in the canal which was just erroneous.  Hence lots of survey to find them including radar so we did not drill into them whilst keeping our licenced proximity from the structure.

It became apparent the ground levels have vastly changed - where better to glean further info than here.

The last canal bore was just completed today at noon following loads of careful investigative work and deep excavations proving negatives. (if you can't find you make sure you aim for where you know it's not).

That's boring.

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2018 at 20:49, alan_fincher said:

This is interesting, but I really can't recall Banbury very well, and we have not been through by boat for some yeras now.

Interestingly old Nicholsons guides from the era of the photograph don't show the arm you mention, so I don't think it aws a naviable feature back then.

I note my photo shows clear electricity pylons.  Google Maps doesn't apera to show any pylons in Banbuy, so if the picture is Banbury, they must be another thing that has disappeared I think.

This might help.   https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.0725&lon=-1.3362&layers=6&right=BingHyb

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last spoken to Nick Hill and he thinks the photo of him was just after the factory lift bridge where there was either a garage or car scrap place, there was a bend after the bridge and if you got to far over under the overhanging building it was shallow as you can see in the picture. Believed to be 1974.

my memory of the factory bridge is of single handing loaded and using the Banbury stick to keep it up, it was a real heavy brute.

usually there were people about and you would get held up early morning and knocking off time by all the traffic using it.

4 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

I have at last spoken to Nick Hill and he thinks the photo of him was just after the factory lift bridge where there was either a garage or car scrap place, there was a bend after the bridge and if you got to far over under the overhanging building it was shallow as you can see in the picture. Believed to be 1974.

I'm about 90%, (but not 100%!), certain my photo of Jaguar is from Summer 1973.

However if Nick says a year later, it is just possible he is right.

• 2 months later...

The photo of JAGUAR must have been taken before we took her over in June 1974.  The steerer is Peter Patch ( you can just see the patch over his eye).

Photos of Banbury in 1974.  JAGUAR and TADWORTH.

Banbury silted up..jpg

JAGUAR and TADWORTH..jpg

Edited by Chris Williams
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Can’t remember who was steering Tadworth then but looks like he had sold some coal was it you Chris. It was hard work then bagging up and chucking it out of the boat. Jaguars side wasn’t so deep as the Tadworth’s made it a bit easier.

I can't remember who was steering Taddles, we did two runs with her.  The procedure was to sell coal off Tadworth down to Thrupp.

Then what was left, bagged up, was either put onto Jaguar, or into the shed we had 'borrowed'.  Dear old Aubrey Jones was always helpful, unlike some other managers.  Yes, always had arrange some sort of step in Tadworth to unload.  No problem with Jaguar.

As for that metal bridge in Banbury, we got really stuck in it one time.  Rush hour, of course.  Traffic rapidly built up on both sides.

Plod arrives, so I gave them the bowline and said "You get the bu**er out then".

With a lot of guys pulling, we eventually got through.

When we finally got to the basin, we found that some comic had taken a plank off the weir and the pound was down.  

Thrupp.jpg

On 05/10/2018 at 20:04, alan_fincher said:

This is somewhere down the Southern Oxford, circa 1973, but I can't remember the exact location.

Does anybody recognise it?

Could it be Banbury?

File0715.jpg

I think it's a few hundred yards below Banbury lock would guess around 1970 It was a somewhat "crappy" stretch in those days

Yes, it looks like it - and frankly it's not much better now!

This photo was the subject of a discussion earlier in the thread..

I can imagine the steerer talking to a prospective girlfriend: "Would you like to come for a trip in my Jaguar?"

Edited by Athy

Thanks for the photo of the pair at Thrupp looks like we were still working on Tadworth and it still had the wonderful headlight that consisted of old car sealed beam headlights trouble was when they failed the next one might have dip beam working rather than full. They came with her from BWB so assumed the Dell’s had a contact in a scrap yard. Later I found a good headlight right at the back of the counter.

Aubrey at Thrupp was a real gent and I got a drop down table from him to replace the full height door that was on her, it had been used as a wardrobe as they lived on the butty.

Yes, in that photo of the two at Thrupp, Tadworth was still in BWB livery.  I had a strange desire to take her down the Thames in that state, instead of the nicely painted Jag.

Photo of me on Tad, with double vision BWB livery, Little Bourton lock.

Tadlles (2).jpg

• Greenie 1

A view that's very familiar, as we moor a couple of miles North of there. From memory, on the side of the lock opposite the house was a carefully-tended cottage garden with a well which I suppose was the house's only water supply. When we were first in the area, an elderly lady lived there. I think she was the widow of a former BW employee.

Edited by Athy

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, it looks like it - and frankly it's not much better now!

This photo was the subject of a discussion on another thread recently.

Actually it was this thread!

If it was correctly identified, it is certainly "not a lot better now", as these days it is part of a road system, not a canal, and steering Jaguar through it might be an even bigger challenge!

This exact spot is now buried underneath the western embankment to the modern bridge, as you exit the roundabout from the A423.

Edited by alan_fincher

25 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Yes, in that photo of the two at Thrupp, Tadworth was still in BWB livery.  I had a strange desire to take her down the Thames in that state, instead of the nicely painted Jag.

Photo of me on Tad, with double vision BWB livery, Little Bourton lock.

Tadlles (2).jpg

I suspect it probably wasn't that long after I took this one.

(Sorry about appalling deterioration of the negative - I'm sure I have a colour corrected one somewhere, but can't instantly find it).

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_04.jpg

33 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I suspect it probably wasn't that long after I took this one.

(Sorry about appalling deterioration of the negative - I'm sure I have a colour corrected one somewhere, but can't instantly find it).

image.png.595f24941730fbb8cede72c0262bf011.pngnot done that well, (had to overcook it to bring the blues back out)

Alan’s photo at Braunston must have been taken straight after we had brought the pair up from Brentford when we brought Tadworth. UCC had brought Bakewell from the same tender list and we towed it back for them. 

Tadworth had an hole in the chine stopped up with a pice of sponge forced down by a block of wood held by a broom handle under the gunwale. We had a quick patch done and went to Atherstone to load.

the picture of Chris at Bourton lock probably few loads later. You had to be careful delivering there as the coal place was down a passage at side of house which was slippery when wet and pitch black. Seem to think there was no electricity

Tadworth and Bakewell on lime juice run.

4DD8AFF4-7D9B-42F8-B2AA-B6D6B5EE1018.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling

That's about right.  Strange that Tadworth has her chimbley and tiller out, but Bakewell has no tiller.  

Another photo of various people aboard Tadworth, just after she was bought.  No idea who took it or how I came to have it.

Sue, chris, Dilly,Trevor.Colin, Mike (2).jpg

32 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

That's about right.  Strange that Tadworth has her chimbley and tiller out, but Bakewell has no tiller.  

Another photo of various people aboard Tadworth, just after she was bought.  No idea who took it or how I came to have it.

Sue, chris, Dilly,Trevor.Colin, Mike (2).jpg

A young Trevor Maggs!

• 3 years later...
On 05/10/2018 at 19:04, alan_fincher said:

This is somewhere down the Southern Oxford, circa 1973, but I can't remember the exact location.

Does anybody recognise it?

Could it be Banbury?

File0715.jpg

Staleys Wharf Warehouse in Bridge Street Yard, Banbury...I think?