Banbury Canal Side - Anyone Remember What it Was Like 70's?

mark99

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This is interesting, but I really can't recall Banbury very well, and we have not been through by boat for some yeras now.

Interestingly old Nicholsons guides from the era of the photograph don't show the arm you mention, so I don't think it aws a naviable feature back then.

I note my photo shows clear electricity pylons.  Google Maps doesn't apera to show any pylons in Banbuy, so if the picture is Banbury, they must be another thing that has disappeared I think.

The arm I speak of only became an arm in 1990.  This was when the canal was diverted to the east - away from the A423- to allow the building of the present road bridge. 

There were pylons along there at that time - I've lived within threequarters of a mile for the last 47 years !

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

The arm I speak of only became an arm in 1990.  This was when the canal was diverted to the east - away from the A423- to allow the building of the present road bridge. 

There were pylons along there at that time - I've lived within threequarters of a mile for the last 47 years !

Thanks for the clarification.

As you have probably gathered by now, I have little knowledge of changes on that canal since my picture was taken.

I'm fairly certian it was Banbury, but nt 100% positive.

56 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

I have a feeling that this could be at what is now the arm behind the Evans Halshaw dealership, prior to the building of Hennef way in 1990.

This was then known as waterworks lane. The canal was crossed by an aluminium lift bridge built by the apprentices of Alcan Aluminium Works in the 1950's.  I think the bridge was re-allocated to the K & A canal, somewhere by the Somerset coal canal arm.

This exact spot is now buried underneath the western embankment to the modern bridge, as you exit the roundabout from the A423.

There was a wharf here, and not much else save for a few old redbrick buildings occupied by some car repairers.

This is the exact location I was thinking of but I could not place it from my last trip through Banbury in May. This all makes sense now as I recall going through the lift bridge in 1981 but not in May :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

15 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

This is the exact location I was thinking of but I could not place it from my last trip through Banbury in May. This all makes sense now as I recall going through the lift bridge in 1981 but not in May :captain:

The precise co-ordinates.....52 degrees 04' 20.31 N

1 degree 20' 08.41 W.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I think the picture of jag coincides where Thaxted used to moor before we bought her in 1984. It is now impacted by the high level bridge immediatly below banbury lock. Immediatly out of that lock there used to be a lift bridge, which was quite heavy, and if you got stuck going into the lock, shopping trolleys cider bottles dead bodies were the usual cause, you had to keep the bridge up while you  farted about, which used to upset the locals.

banbury canalside was not to put too fine a point on it characterful. You did not moor there, unless you liked cider , abuse  , and the risk of arson

I think you are right.  Defo Banbury where I lived until 1973. We helped Jaguar down to Oxford that year.  Overtook her after each lock,  in our cruiser,  and then set the next lock and let them overtake us.  After a few hours of this I was invited to street for a bit. I have a photo somewhere..

I also spent a day helping them bag coal at the wharf south of Thrupp. 

There is deffo overhead cables there and a large sub station. The "arm" can see be seen on google earth with a lot of boats moored up there (first page/below on this thread for google earth image).

Question - was the canal south of the "arm" diverted for Heneff Way? See yellow highlight - looks unlikely.

image.png.04545e9d94cd5ee58832dc51a5c9439a.png

Edited by mark99

You can still see the notch in the bank where the canal used to go. Opposite the north end (I think it's the bow!) of the narrowboat The lift bridge (horrible metal thing) used to be roughly where the white van is. The canal north of the road  was filled in. The route to the south is still in water and forms that little arm.spiceball.jpg.09135a9d22a902bd45f8ca8c0157298e.jpg

• Greenie 1

We bought thaxted off julian kingston at the iwa nat rally in 1984. Julian also owned gort.

he later bought an old ferry at greenwich and we visited him by boat once. I think it must have been  julian you are referring to.

he was at the historic boat show at braunston this year.

thaxted was supposed to be being rebuilt as a floating chandlery but was a distress sale.

her stands were shortened to allow his son to tricycle around the hold. We got a new spare set of stands from  a source from the bulls  bridge store.

I am presently in France but next week will be at home and will ask Nick Hill where the photo was taken. He doesn’t do computers so will show him it.

we were doing the coal run with Tadworth In the 70’s and. Banbury was pretty run down with the Bus station on one side and if I remember right a fence on the other. Occasionally stopped overnight to get some stores and a pint of hookies. The town bridge was a pig and uphill into the lock always meant keeping it up and as said previously upset the locals who seemed to appear as if by magic once you had got it up. Got into big row with BWB for pushing gates open and was threatened with removal from the waterway. Told them to fetch a crane as I’d had enough of his waterway and anyway needed to black round. He went away.

Phot shows price of coal in 1975 at Thrupp.

0DB9C1C1-F7AD-4E9D-B4DE-30F576E3ED08.jpeg

19 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

if you got stuck going into the lock, shopping trolleys cider bottles dead bodies 

Yes others found one before wider site clearing. No more details I'm afraid on a public forum.

Edited by mark99

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We bought thaxted off julian kingston at the iwa nat rally in 1984. Julian also owned gort.

he later bought an old ferry at greenwich and we visited him by boat once. I think it must have been  julian you are referring to.

he was at the historic boat show at braunston this year.

thaxted was supposed to be being rebuilt as a floating chandlery but was a distress sale.

her stands were shortened to allow his son to tricycle around the hold. We got a new spare set of stands from  a source from the bulls  bridge store.

Julian Kingston -  Yes , of course it was, its all coming back to me now, this old age thing befuddles the brain...….

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:04, AMModels said:

OK I cant be alone in wanting Monday to come around for the update on this. If we are not told what it is who buried it and why, as well as if you manage to find it, I will be very disappointed.

I will update (it's not that interesting) but only once the operation is completed. Prob a few more days.

On 08/10/2018 at 08:22, Scholar Gypsy said:

You can still see the notch in the bank where the canal used to go. Opposite the north end (I think it's the bow!) of the narrowboat The lift bridge (horrible metal thing) used to be roughly where the white van is. The canal north of the road  was filled in. The route to the south is still in water and forms that little arm.spiceball.jpg.09135a9d22a902bd45f8ca8c0157298e.jpg

Yes, the "notch" makes a useful winding hole. Directly opposite it was, for years, a hippy sort of encampment centred around an old double-decker 'bus. That vanished (cleared away by the council?) about two years ago.

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, the "notch" makes a useful winding hole. Directly opposite it was, for years, a hippy sort of encampment centred around an old double-decker 'bus. That vanished (cleared away by the council?) about two years ago.

We have tied-up there in order to shop at Tesco.  Getting out of the site and onto the road is possible, if a little awkward. 

52 minutes ago, Tacet said:

We have tied-up there in order to shop at Tesco.  Getting out of the site and onto the road is possible, if a little awkward. 

It was a lot easier before the scrub grew up. Just a 5 bar gate to climb over and a fast road to cross.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The Morrisons by bridge 168 is a little easier to get to.

smells a bit though from what I think is a foundry on the offside, done plenty of shopping stops there but never overnight.

Long story short.

We have directionally drilled multiple utilities under the Cherwell under Cherwell side stream across the park across a road and under the canal (twice) via and according to the requisite licences from the respective authorities.

On offside of canal, there are two pressurised utilities laid in 70's in line of our target shots, which to damage would create untold grief for the town and canal. The records show the things in the canal which was just erroneous.  Hence lots of survey to find them including radar so we did not drill into them whilst keeping our licenced proximity from the structure.

It became apparent the ground levels have vastly changed - where better to glean further info than here.

The last canal bore was just completed today at noon following loads of careful investigative work and deep excavations proving negatives. (if you can't find you make sure you aim for where you know it's not).

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

On 11/10/2018 at 14:24, mark99 said:

Long story short.

We have directionally drilled multiple utilities under the Cherwell under Cherwell side stream across the park across a road and under the canal (twice) via and according to the requisite licences from the respective authorities.

On offside of canal, there are two pressurised utilities laid in 70's in line of our target shots, which to damage would create untold grief for the town and canal. The records show the things in the canal which was just erroneous.  Hence lots of survey to find them including radar so we did not drill into them whilst keeping our licenced proximity from the structure.

It became apparent the ground levels have vastly changed - where better to glean further info than here.

The last canal bore was just completed today at noon following loads of careful investigative work and deep excavations proving negatives. (if you can't find you make sure you aim for where you know it's not).

I always enjoy a Good Technical Post