Tiny stove recommendation.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

I am shortly completing on a small 23ft steel narrowboat and am wanting to install a small multifuel stove. I like the look of the pipsqueak stove and wonder how owners find it? Does it stay in overnight? Any parts cracked? Any good small steel stoves? Budget £350

My sister is going to use the boat for weekends so heating essential. The boat has a Kabota 2 cylinder diesel inboard. it runs and sounds fine. Any timing belt to worry about etc?

Many thanks.:cheers:

How about the guy down in Cornwall? that makes stoves out of different size EX gas bottles think he advertises on Ebay friend had one for an ex shepherds hut he had in his paddock as a artists studio gave out cracking heat & ISTR it stayed in all night if required

Pipsqueak = excellent stove for a small boat.

The only, and biggy problem, is the non-standard flue size - If I remember it is 75mm and is only available in stainless steel from one supplier. 

The flue and thru' roof mounting cost more than the stove did, but if you can accept the flue cost, or find an alternative its a great stove.

Yes, with a bit of practice it will stay in 12 hours /  all night (just get the vents 'right') May need a couple of 'sticks' to kick it back into life after 12 hours but quickly picks up and can fill with smokeless 'brillo-pads'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I've got one, its tiny and doesn't have firebricks which could lead to cracking and burning through eventually. Also the doors are not a good fit so shutting the air off is a bit iffy and that is important. The flue is tricky but your local steel supplier should be able to sell you a piece of steel pipe the right diam. then it needs to be cut and welded to the right angles. It gets hot obviously so it needs a length of outer pipe of a couple of inches wider dia. fitted round it. In fact I don't like it much and I would sell it to you but its in France! 

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The only, and biggy problem, is the non-standard flue size - If I remember it is 75mm and is only available in stainless steel from one supplier. 

Do the makers of the Pipsqueak not sell a flue kit to go with it then?

This is really weird if not, given their choice of such an awkward flue diameter.

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do the makers of the Pipsqueak not sell a flue kit to go with it then?

This is really weird if not, given their choice of such an awkward flue diameter.

We bought directly from Salamander so, no, not directly - they have an 'agreement' with a flue making company and recommend them for the supply of the flue components.

I suppose you could say (indirectly) "yes" but it involves two-orders / two payments.

These folks sell the stove and flue accessories (but not the boat roof fittings, we bought ours from 'Bubble Stoves')

https://www.savvysurf.co.uk/stoves/wood-and-multi-fuel-stoves/pipsqueak-stove-with-accessories.html

Thanks everyone for the very useful replies.

It seems its a lot easier to buy an ordinary stove due to the odd flue size and rear flue. Would of been costly to weld up the bends needed to bring the flue away from the cabin walls.

Going to go for a hamlet hardy 4kw as has a 4 inch top outlet flue. At least only one door, so Sister cant leave ashpan open and forget about it! I may even add extra fire bricks if needed.

Want a proper cast iron roof collar and I'll buy a standard 4 inch boat flue. Plan to line it out in fireboard with an air gap and tile it. Need it very well installed as Sister has never had a stove, so I'll show her how to use it.

Many Thanks. James.:cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

12 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Going to go for a hamlet hardy 4kw...

I don't know what others might think, but I'm thinking 4kW is a bit powerful.  I know the advertising blurb says it's ideal for a Narrowboat, but you've only got something approaching half of one of those!  You'll have trouble being in a small space with 4kW of heat and although can run it shut down, but if you don't keep it up to temperature you get lots of tar in your flue and produce fumes from poor combustion.  I don't have an alternative to offer you, but it might be worth looking a little longer. Good luck. :)

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't know what others might think, but I'm thinking 4kW is a bit powerful.  I know the advertising blurb says it's ideal for a Narrowboat, but you've only got something approaching half of one of those!  You'll have trouble being in a small space with 4kW of heat and although can run it shut down, but if you don't keep it up to temperature you get lots of tar in your flue and produce fumes from poor combustion.  I don't have an alternative to offer you, but it might be worth looking a little longer. Good luck. :)

Agree 4KW will be doors and windows open all the time and sat in underpants.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The 4kW is almost certainly maximum output, and it should be perfectly possible to run a small stove at considerably less than that without excessive tar or fumes, even if burning wood.   I  do, and haven't needed to sweep the flue for nearly a year.  But you must use very dry wood.  I can't speak for other fuels, as I don't use them.

1 hour ago, canals are us? said:

Hi thanks, the mini cube looks nice. Not had any luck finding a small 3kw stove. Thinking if too powerful could make firebox smaller, so I an burn hotter an keep a good fire going and keep flue warm and deposits to a minimum.

James:cheers:

I had to replace my Epping stove because there was no room to install sufficient insulation around it. I replaced it with a Hobbit and so far this has worked well. I don't usually spend much of the winter on the boat but intend to this year, so it will have a good workout.

36 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I had to replace my Epping stove because there was no room to install sufficient insulation around it. I replaced it with a Hobbit and so far this has worked well. I don't usually spend much of the winter on the boat but intend to this year, so it will have a good workout.

Really? What happed to your Epping? Might it be for sale??

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really? What happed to your Epping? Might it be for sale??

It was about 2 years ago. I mentioned it on here (can't find the thread now) and someone came and collected it. She no longer posts so I've forgotten the name but it was something to do with cats. I didn't want money for it, just some help with getting it out, she arrived at Alvecote, rounded up some volunteers (I knew nobody at the time) and got it off in a trice. Very nice (and efficient) lady.

Just remembered - madcat.

Edited by frahkn