End of life boats

b0atman

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are several 'boat scrap yards' / purveyors of boats that have seen better days here are a couple :

http://www.boatwrecks.com/power.asp

There's another one on the Humber - forgotten their name.

Then …...

This is one of C&RTs 'Section 8' sellers based at York

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view-trader/commercial-boat-services/1673

The one on the Humber is Drapers and there is another famous one in Portsmouth called Pounds.

Howard

10 hours ago, pearley said:

...so where gave all those boars gone? 

Yes, where gave those boars gone? Like you, I've pondered this sort of thing a lot - probably because we have the same autocorrect on our tablets!! :D

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Steel boats are always fixable and never scrapped. There were two utter colanders on the bank at Clifton Cruisers last year. Someone bought them both, welded patches over the visible holes, launched them, painted the insides white and guess where they went...

Ah, now that's what I thought this thread was going to be about - London CMers!

5 hours ago, howardang said:

At least he's wearing a "proper" captains hat!

Howard

That would have scrambled egg on the peak, so it's not really.  That said, when smaller vessels are commanded by Lieutenant Commanders or Lieutenants they are referred to as Captain, but they wouldn't have a Captain's hat: they'd have to use their own - without the brass.  :captain:

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

That would have scrambled egg on the peak, so it's not really.  That said, when smaller vessels are commanded by Lieutenant Commanders or Lieutenants they are referred to as Captain, but they wouldn't have a Captain's hat: they'd have to use their own - without the brass.  :captain:

Thanks for the correction. I did know that but I should remind myself that I have to try harder to make a wee joke. .:captain:

Howard

17 minutes ago, howardang said:

Thanks for the correction. I did know that but I should remind myself that I have to try harder to make a wee joke. .:captain:

Howard

We don't want THAT sort of joke around here, thank you.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We don't want THAT sort of joke around here, thank you.

Not even in the wee small hours?

(You only understand why they are called that after you've turned 60)

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

Howard, I do I hope I didn't come across as pouring cold water on your "wee joke": certainly not my intent. I did spot the humour if it helps!  I can only add in my defence that the right hat is very important to a sailor! ;)

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Howard, I do I hope I didn't come across as pouring cold water on your "wee joke": certainly not my intent. I did spot the humour if it helps!  I can only add in my defence that the right hat is very important to a sailor! ;)

It didn't worry me in the slightest and I certainly took no offence. Yes, I fully understand the comment about the "right hat", You obviously weren't aware of my earlier life as a seafarer (but in the MN, rather than the Gray Funnel Line). In fact, my own brass hat is still in the loft but the days of wearing it are over! :captain:

Howard

'

On 22/07/2018 at 16:50, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you!

I have often asked on here for first hand anecdotes of conventional welded steel narrowboats being scrapped and no-one has ever claimed to see it happen... until now. YOU are the first and only poster on here ever to know of a steel narrowboat being scrapped!*

I watched the progress of a steel narrowboat being scrapped at Thames and Kennet a few years ago

On 22/07/2018 at 16:50, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you!

I have often asked on here for first hand anecdotes of conventional welded steel narrowboats being scrapped and no-one has ever claimed to see it happen... until now. YOU are the first and only poster on here ever to know of a steel narrowboat being scrapped!*

The (modern) steam boat Swallow was scrapped at Clifton Cruisers, when I thought you had at least some passing involvement with the place.

23 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I watched the progress of a steel narrowboat being scrapped at Thames and Kennet a few years ago

On reflection I’ve actually seen one scrapped myself! The old steam narrowboat owned by Rob at Clifton Cruisers. He cut it up to get the boiler out and scrapped the whole boat. “Swallow”, I think it was called. 

Even so, scrapping steel narrowboats is a very rare occurance. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On reflection I’ve actually seen one scrapped myself! The old steam narrowboat owned by Rob at Clifton Cruisers. He cut it up to get the boiler out and scrapped the whole boat. “Swallow”, I think it was called. 

Even so, scrapping steel narrowboats is a very rare occurance. 

Was it my pot above your own that reminded you of this happening?

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Was it my pot above your own that reminded you of this happening?

No, we posted virtually simultaneously. 

You may have telepathically communicated your thoughts to me though, not something you always succeed in doing ?

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You may have telepathically communicated your thoughts to me though, not something you always succeed in doing ?

Yes, I do feel strangely much safer when distanced from you by the Internet!

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I thought they were caps not hats. Pedantic mode off!

You're quite correct - they are caps.  However, you will be familiar, I'm sure, with the term "Brass Hats" - i.e. Commander & above in the RN & in the MN ships masters, caps are colloquially called Brass Hats, not Brass Caps. This is the context that Seadog & I were discussing.  My pedantic mode now off!:captain:

Howard