End of life boats

b0atman

Featured Posts

On 22/07/2018 at 17:27, Alan de Enfield said:

There are several 'boat scrap yards' / purveyors of boats that have seen better days here are a couple :

http://www.boatwrecks.com/power.asp

There's another one on the Humber - forgotten their name.

Then …...

This is one of C&RTs 'Section 8' sellers based at York

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view-trader/commercial-boat-services/1673

They have a rather nice lightship for sale at the moment, though I believe the ownership is in question. 

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Scrambled egg 'ats. I have to confess not heard the term brass hats. But does make sense. Are you ex mob then.

Looking at your avatar you may be ex MN. Respect.

Yes, MN both at sea and then ashore in management.  I have done done a few courses with the Andrew over the years, and worked closely with the RN during the South Atlantic kerfuffle including spending some time there. You mention  my avatar which was taken in the 198's. It is actually a scale model of a 300,000 ton tanker, used for ship handling training at an establishment for training masters and marine pilots as part of a fleets of vessels representing different ship types.  Great fun to play with, and although scaled to handle like a larger vessel, it is  similar size to my present narrow boat, but when in the driving seat it feels just like the real thing.

Howard

On 22/07/2018 at 16:31, Athy said:

I would substitute "usually" and "rarely" for your two adverbs. When I used to be around Fox's a fair bit some five years ago they cut up at least two old narrowboats for scrap. I have no idea what financial arrangements were involved.

In the 17 years that I been moored at Foxes, there have been 5 or 6 that have been cut up. Including a Springer waterbug that was scraped after the bow was cut off to be welded to a new hull.

On 22/07/2018 at 16:50, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you!

I have often asked on here for first hand anecdotes of conventional welded steel narrowboats being scrapped and no-one has ever claimed to see it happen... until now. YOU are the first and only poster on here ever to know of a steel narrowboat being scrapped!*

*As opposed to an old riveted iron or composite ex-working boat being scrapped by BW, BWB or predecessor. Of which there have been plenty.

Back in the 1980's, when I used to commute into London Waterloo every working day, there was a scrapyard alongside the railway, between Raynes Park and Wimbledon stations. This had a 30 foot or so narrowboat in it for several years, until one day I went past and they were cutting it up.

I often wondered how it got there as Wimbledon is not nearly any canal and the River Wardle isn't navigable now, its it ever was.

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Back in the 1980's, when I used to commute into London Waterloo every working day, there was a scrapyard alongside the railway, between Raynes Park and Wimbledon stations. This had a 30 foot or so narrowboat in it for several years, until one day I went past and they were cutting it up.

I often wondered how it got there as Wimbledon is not nearly any canal and the River Wardle isn't navigable now, its it ever was.

I remember see that. 

Two years ago we had a phone call from an old fella, "would we collect his boat and scrap it, as both his and the boats cruising days were over".  He even mentioned paying for a skip.  The boat was towed back to the wharf and lifted out, it was then we found the hull to be in generally good, sound condition.

A hull survey was passed with flying colours, no more than usual pitting.  A new battery and the engine ran fine, gearbox and prop all ok.  I did some welding repairs to the rudder (a form of Schilling rudder) welded on some new anodes and the hull was blacked.  Turned out that the boat was a Wakefield boat and had originally been built at the wharf.

The second person to enquire about it, bought it (think the figure settled on was £12000) and we took £3000 back to the old chap, who was delighted, both with the money but also the news his old boat was starting a new life.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Two years ago we had a phone call from an old fella, "would we collect his boat and scrap it, as both his and the boats cruising days were over".  He even mentioned paying for a skip.  The boat was towed back to the wharf and lifted out, it was then we found the hull to be in generally good, sound condition.

A hull survey was passed with flying colours, no more than usual pitting.  A new battery and the engine ran fine, gearbox and prop all ok.  I did some welding repairs to the rudder (a form of Schilling rudder) welded on some new anodes and the hull was blacked.  Turned out that the boat was a Wakefield boat and had originally been built at the wharf.

The second person to enquire about it, bought it (think the figure settled on was £12000) and we took £3000 back to the old chap, who was delighted, both with the money but also the news his old boat was starting a new life.

Good story. I particularly like the £3000 to the old chap. Nice touch. That's a lot of money when you didn't have any, or was he one of these rich pensioners we hear about.

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Good story. I particularly like the £3000 to the old chap. Nice touch. That's a lot of money when you didn't have any, or was he one of these rich pensioners we hear about.

Thanks, I got the impression he wasn't the richest guy around.  He was more or less wanting to cover our costs, hence the mention of the skip.  Sad to see the old boat, loads of those cast brass plaques on the rear doors, clearly done most of the system.  Obvious from the start there was still plenty of life in it tho.?

On 25/07/2018 at 20:37, cuthound said:

It turns out that River Wardle is a young wrestler in Utah:

https://www.wrestleutah.com/news_article/show/434598-river-wardle

How your spellchecker came up with something so obscure I cannot imagine.

The Wandle, which runs from Carshalton, a little west of Croydon and a little east of Wimbledon, down to the Thames at Wandsworth, is not a very substantial river, but the idea of canalising it was briefly considered, then rejected because it doesn't have enough water supply. In the end Croydon was connected to the Thames by the Surrey Iron Railway (for horse drawn wagons) along the Wandle valley, then later by the Croydon Canal running NE to the Surrey docks at Rotherhithe. Sadly the latter was quite short lived and would be extremely difficult to restore.

5 hours ago, Peter X said:

It turns out that River Wardle is a young wrestler in Utah:

https://www.wrestleutah.com/news_article/show/434598-river-wardle

How your spellchecker came up with something so obscure I cannot imagine.

The Wandle, which runs from Carshalton, a little west of Croydon and a little east of Wimbledon, down to the Thames at Wandsworth, is not a very substantial river, but the idea of canalising it was briefly considered, then rejected because it doesn't have enough water supply. In the end Croydon was connected to the Thames by the Surrey Iron Railway (for horse drawn wagons) along the Wandle valley, then later by the Croydon Canal running NE to the Surrey docks at Rotherhithe. Sadly the latter was quite short lived and would be extremely difficult to restore.

Indeed, it was interference by my tablets autowrong ? I originally wrote River Wandle. 

Haven't been to Croydon since I was a teenager, in those days the basin for the Croydon Canal was under the old bus station. I expect it has been redeveloped since and is now under something else.