charging - possible dying battery

Murflynn

Featured Posts

On 20/07/2018 at 15:41, Murflynn said:

I have a bank of 4 x 110AH leisure batteries connected in parallel that I use for motor power in my wee yogurt pot.  I have a separate bank of 2 batteries used as a reserve if the big bank dies.  On my last trip I found the big bank lasted no longer than the small bank. 

I have separated the 4 batteries in the main bank and they all tested about 12.2V. 

I charged them separately using a PACO '7 stage' charger.  3 batteries took about 2 hours each on bulk, 2 hours on 'absorption' and then went to 'conditioning' in one case and fully charged in the other cases.  One 'bad' battery went straight to 'absorption' for a short while, then to fully charged.   A few hours later I tested all 4 batteries under no load.  The 3 good ones were at 13.1V, the bad one was at 12.7V.   

The question is, is the 'bad one' due for replacement, and is it dragging the others down with it? 

Firstly: My thoughts were that it's not certain that you have a "bad battery". If you only had one battery and, after fully charging then resting for 4 hours, it showed 12.7V, you would be happy that it was fully charged. The fact that you have 3 others, and they all show a higher voltage after the same "test", would not have given me cause for concern.

Secondly: As you are concerned, and others seem to agree, why not just remove the "bad battery", carry on with the 3 "good batteries", and see how things go. Lots of people survive very well with 330Ah of battery bank, and you are in a better position as you have a spare bank.

Thirdly: If you buy batteries for £70, they are almost certainly batteries with thin plates which could be labelled as Starter batteries, or Leisure batteries, but which will not last very long unless you are extremely careful and lucky.

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I should have realised that anything leccy related would bring MtB off his perch and we would enter an :offtopic: pub brawl over the use of Gibbo's algorithms.  Each time I check for any useful contributions I am disappointed :mellow:.   

Please Mr Moderator - put this crap in the VP.   :unsure:    

:banghead:    

......  as for me - I will just go away and buy a new battery.  For £70 it's worth it, to avoid following this unintended thread deterioration.  :P  

Jeez, what is the MATTER with you these days? Banter is what half this site is about. Why don't you go off to thunderboat if a few posts of mucking about on here trouble you so much? You rarely have much constructive to contribute yourself these days either. You ask for advice, then moan about the thread after you've had the advice. It's not really good etiquette.

Put me and Mr Rusty on IGNORE I suggest. Then you won't have to read all of his drivel about smartgauges :giggles:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Jeez, what is the MATTER with you these days? Banter is what half this site is about. Why don't you go off to thunderboat if a few posts of mucking about on here trouble you so much? You rarely have much constructive to contribute yourself these days either. You ask for advice, then moan about the thread after you've had the advice. It's not really good etiquette.

Put me and Mr Rusty on IGNORE I suggest. Then you won't have to read all of his drivel about smartgauges :giggles:

methinks you have lost a sense of humour gearwheel somewhere in your brain mechanism.  ..................  p'raps we need to design a new type of smartgauge to monitor umercontent.  

.................  and now that TB has settled down to the point that a fair judgment can be made, I find there is nothing to attract me to it.  I believe you may have found the same.

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

.................  and now that TB has settled down to the point that a fair judgment can be made, I find there is nothing to attract me to it.  I believe you may have found the same.

You must be poles apart.

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2018 at 16:04, Alan de Enfield said:

Fully charge each battery until the charge has dropped to below 2 amps for at least an hour (1 amp would be better if you can get there).

At 14.4V or higher. There’s no point measuring the current if the charge voltage has dropped to 13.6V or thereabouts. 

By the way... A 7-stage charger is a conventional 3-stage charger that a marketing man has been let loose on. 

On 23 July 2018 at 07:41, Murflynn said:

methinks you have lost a sense of humour gearwheel somewhere in your brain mechanism.  ..................  p'raps we need to design a new type of smartgauge to monitor umercontent.  

All joking apart and in fairness, if I bought something that told me something was at one hundred percent then I would think that it meant full. It doesn't matter what it is but really 100 percent means it's not possible to add any more.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

All joking apart and in fairness, if I bought something that told me something was at one hundred percent then I would think that it meant full. It doesn't matter what it is but really 100 percent means it's not possible to add any more.

Totally agree. 

If the display simply said NULL during charging a few of us would not have wrecked an expensive set of batteries.

As it is, the display cannot be trusted during charging and tells lies.  

On 22/07/2018 at 13:03, Mike the Boilerman said:

We always go off thread in Thunderboat so you will get no more sense there :)

12 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Perhaps Rusty has gone boating and not got his collection of dongles with him.

I thought he lost his dongle a while back.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Perhaps he has joined Mr Oss? Two good contributors, hopefully they will return.

Yes, sadly absent for now.