Tv licence dilemna

bastion

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And typing on an Internet forum :) multitasking at its best. 

I'm female....Anyway, it's important to take the odd break.

11 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Spotify is good for listening to music you like but not necessarily heard before, as it plays bands/groups that are similar to what you select.  It's good for finding new music.

My CD player doesn't connect to Spotify...I know what you're saying, but I like listening to stuff I know I like, songs I can sing along to because I know all the words. I have several hundred CDs to choose from, I really don't need or want to find any new music.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I watched the 100 th show on tv the other day. Pleased to see you on there (or was it Brian Blessed - "Gordon's alive!!!) :)

I thought it was a very poor show on TV.... tried to cram too much into the time available and didn't allow the fuller discussion that happens on the radio.

2 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

My CD player doesn't connect to Spotify...I know what you're saying, but I like listening to stuff I know I like, songs I can sing along to because I know all the words. I have several hundred CDs to choose from, I really don't need or want to find any new music.

The bands and songs I like these days are usually Japanese, I don't tend to sing along to them ?  

Just now, Robbo said:

The bands and songs I like these days are usually Japanese, I don't tend to sing along to them ?  

Perhaps you should learn Japanese! I can't listen to music without singing, or even dancing - unless it's the music I was forced to listen to at work.

6 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Perhaps you should learn Japanese! I can't listen to music without singing, or even dancing - unless it's the music I was forced to listen to at work.

I can hardly speak English!

Edited by Robbo

12 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Have you got the Vapors ?

I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese,

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Me too. 'Japanese Electronica', the genre is called IIRC.

May I recommend you listen to Gilles Peterson on R6? He has great taste in such music. 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you got the Vapors ?

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so
Turning Japanese,

This is a song about masturbation. It was AMAZING how many songs the BBC used to play back in the day, with lyrics that would have had the songs banned had the stupid prattling DJs ever taken the trouble to listen to them! As Mike Reid did by chance with Frankie Goes To Hollywood,IIRC, belatedly getting the song banned after about eight weeks of saturation airtime when it was at No 1 in the charts for being about homosexuality. 

35 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What is not clear is whether it is the cage that is infinite, or the monkey.

It seems they/it have escaped according to a recent programme,  so either there's an infinite cage goung spare or there's an infinite monkey running wild

Just now, tree monkey said:

It seems they/it have escaped according to a recent programme,  so either there's an infinite cage goung spare or there's an infinite monkey running wild

Looking at your profile, guessing we have a monkey running wild.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Precisely.

Lest we forget, the BBC does not provide just two good quality, advert-free telly stations. It also provides eight advert-free national radio stations, whose programming includes things such as plays, classical music and ball-by-ball test cricket commentary which are not available on other stations (or in most of the world for that matter); numerous local radio stations; and, in the World Service, a source of fair and honest reporting beamed at countries whose own networks do not offer such a service. Not bad for under £3 a week, is it?

Their radio coverage goes far beyond the usual commercial format of play a few records, run an advert and give a one-minute newscast every hour. As a former commercial radio presenter myself I recognise that the commercial format has its place, but it's the cheap and easy option - a path which the BBC resolutely refuses to take. The only merit of an advert on T.V. is that it provides a chance to put the kettle on/ pour beer/ nip upstairs to the office to catch up with CWDF on the computer, and perhaps that it offers the chance to hear a decent piece of music, such as Ray Charles' 'Mess Around' (don't know what that advertises) or The Just Brothers' 'Sliced Tomatoes' (for B&Q).

Actually the BBC World Service is not funded by the licence fee.

:)

1 hour ago, KevMc said:

I thought it was a very poor show on TV.... tried to cram too much into the time available and didn't allow the fuller discussion that happens on the radio.

Yeah, it wasn't as good as the radio version, i agree. 

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Of course I have and often very very good. However they could exist and still pay their way like the rest of us do including independent tv companies.

A lot of very good BBC productions would never have got made by commercial stations.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is a song about masturbation. It was AMAZING how many songs the BBC used to play back in the day, with lyrics that would have had the songs banned had the stupid prattling DJs ever taken the trouble to listen to them! As Mike Reid did by chance with Frankie Goes To Hollywood,IIRC, belatedly getting the song banned after about eight weeks of saturation airtime when it was at No 1 in the charts for being about homosexuality. 

George Formby was banned by the BBC. And one of the members of this forum :)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

9 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

A lot of very good BBC productions would never have got made by commercial stations.

Yes I know and you are quite rightly happy to subsidise them which is your choice. I however feel they should pay their way. I don't suppose either of us has ever made any money from maybe doing work for the Beeb.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Apparently not http://www.jonkutner.com/turning-japanese/

Don't ya hate it when great stories turn out to be wrong :(

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I know and you are quite rightly happy to subsidise them which is your choice. I however feel they should pay their way. I don't suppose either of us has ever made any money from maybe doing work for the Beeb.

I have made money working for the BBC and commercial stations.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Farming today is a little more than 10 years old.

My mistake

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Actually the BBC World Service is not funded by the licence fee.

It is (mostly) - since 2015 when the grant in aid was withdrawn.  Licence fee pays about 250m and grants from the FCO about 85m.