Tv licence dilemna

bastion

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I think podcasts are the future of radio, there’s nothing on traditional radio I listen too, it’s 100% podcast related.  Even tho majority are commercial related the content can be very specific which you can’t get from traditional radio as the content is usually dumbed down for the average person.

I am not sure what one is, though I gather that I would need an I Pod to listen to them, and I haven't got one. Are they condensed versions of programmes which have been previously transmitted?

I am not sure, either, what "dumbed down" means in this context. It usually means "kept quiet", as far as I'm aware, but that would not make much sense in a radio programme as you wouldn't be able to hear it.

Just now, Athy said:

I am not sure what one is, though I gather that I would need an I Pod to listen to them, and I haven't got one. Are they condensed versions of programmes which have been previously transmitted?

I am not sure, either, what "dumbed down" means in this context. It usually means "kept quiet", as far as I'm aware, but that would not make much sense in a radio programme as you wouldn't be able to hear it.

Just download them onto your android /iphone or tablet via appropriate app. 

I particularly like "the infinite monkey cage" 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I luv the bbc. Prime time Saturday evening entertainment still............. 

Dads Army. 

An excellent series (or perhaps several series) with timeless appeal, yes. When it first came out I don't think we appreciated just how good it was.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

An excellent series (or perhaps several series) with timeless appeal, yes. When it first came out I don't think we appreciated just how good it was.

I still can't believe i haven't seen them all, but occasionally one turns up that i haven't seen (or perhaps have forgotten) 

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

No you just need a internet device like a smart speaker, phone, etc.   As the producers are not restricted in making a show within certain time limits or to appeal to a broad audience the content can be more specific and further reaching.   Where as broadcast radio is usually aimed at a broader audience.   The BBC does provide it’s best radio shows via podcast, the shows even though they have been broadcasted are sometimes extended versions of the show.

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I still can't believe i haven't seen them all, but occasionally one turns up that i haven't seen (or perhaps have forgotten) 

There are a total of eighty Dad's Army episodes spread over nine series and three Christmas specials, first broadcast between 1968 and 1977.

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just download them onto your android /iphone or tablet via appropriate app. 

I particularly like "the infinite monkey cage" 

This I agree with, the programme is excellent. 

Although I am uncomfortable with the idea of monkeys and cages.. :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do you also speak English?

Come on Mr Athy. You have managed to connect to the WWW, join an Internet forum and become a moderator.

I reckon you could download a podcast onto your smartphone (you do have a smartphone? Even that Mrsmelly has one, and he's ancient ) :)

I use the podcast addict app on my android phone. 

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This I agree with, the programme is excellent. 

Although I am uncomfortable with the idea of monkeys and cages.. :)

I watched the 100 th show on tv the other day. Pleased to see you on there (or was it Brian Blessed - "Gordon's alive!!!) :)

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Come on Mr Athy. You have managed to connect to the WWW, join an Internet forum and become a moderator.

How observant of you. But these great successes do not hinge upon a knowledge of abstruse electronic jargon.

And no, I certainly have not got a "smart phone".

Just now, Athy said:

How observant of you. But these great successes do not hinge upon a knowledge of abstruse electronic jargon.

That word is so abstruse, i had to Google it! 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Try downloading a player for I presume your on Windows...   Recommendation list..  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/best-podcast-apps-for-windows-10

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

How very kind. Yes, I have Windows mk. 10. But I don't think I would any reason to listen to "podcasts".

Well if you like certain BBC Radio shows it's a good way of listening too them, and some of them have more content via the Podcast method....  http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts   Podcasts are really just on demand radio programmes.   The Podcast apps give you a good way of subscribing to the shows so can be downloaded automatically when released.

Edited by Robbo

I see no reason to listen to the radio, or podcasts. One of the (many) joys about retiring is that I no longer have to listen to the radio all day, or try and speak to people who are plugged into their phones. I listen to music, but I now have the luxury of listening to the music I want to listen to, not what someone else thinks I should listen to. No irritating drivel from presenters either.  

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

I see no reason to listen to the radio, or podcasts. One of the (many) joys about retiring is that I no longer have to listen to the radio all day, or try and speak to people who are plugged into their phones. I listen to music, but I now have the luxury of listening to the music I want to listen to, not what someone else thinks I should listen to. No irritating drivel from presenters either.  

You could always listen to just music, even in the olden days when only Vinyl was available so I don't see your point.   I don't see the connection between retiring and not listening to the radio all day long?

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You could always listen to just music, even in the olden days when only Vinyl was available so I don't see your point.   I don't see the connection between retiring and not listening to the radio all day long?

Because for the last three and a half years I worked in a warehouse. It was considered essential to have the radio on all day, usually Radio One or Heart or some such rubbish. Now I can listen to the music of my choice, switch it on when I want, switch it off when I want. 

Just now, DaveandDebby said:

Because for the last three and a half years I worked in a warehouse. It was considered essential to have the radio on all day, usually Radio One or Heart or some such rubbish. Now I can listen to the music of my choice, switch it on when I want, switch it off when I want. 

Yeah, would hate that.   I think these type of stations will go as more are now streaming music via methods like from Spotify where you can choose the type of music you want.

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Well if you like certain BBC Radio shows it's a good way of listening to them, and some of them have more content via the Podcast 

Well, if I like them I listen to them on the radio!

I know that the after-match summary and discussion on Test Match Special is available as a podcast, but I listen to it "live" at the end of the day's play. As far as I know, its contents are the same as those of the live broadcast.

10 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I bet you have watched and listened to a lot of BBC productions.

Of course I have and often very very good. However they could exist and still pay their way like the rest of us do including independent tv companies.

Just now, Athy said:

Well, if I like them I listen to them on the radio!

I know that the after-match summary and discussion on Test Match Special is available as a podcast, but I listen to it "live" at the end of the day's play. As far as I know, its contents are the same as those of the live broadcast.

The direct link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts) has a list of the BBC Podcasts where you can listen to them via the browser, you may find something that you miss on the radio that you may enjoy...

13 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Yeah, would hate that.   I think these type of stations will go as more are now streaming music via methods like from Spotify where you can choose the type of music you want.

I can already choose the type of music I want, by putting a CD in the CD player. At the moment, however, I'm enjoying listening to the birds in the garden while I'm doing the housework.

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

I can already choose the type of music I want, by putting a CD in the CD player. At the moment, however, I'm enjoying listening to the birds in the garden while I'm doing the housework.

And typing on an Internet forum :) multitasking at its best. 

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

Spotify is good for listening to music you like but not necessarily heard before, as it plays bands/groups that are similar to what you select.  It's good for finding new music.