Nitromors ineffective owing to the heat

Featured Posts

I was hoping to Book the Boat into Baxters Boatyard at Yardley Gobion for some minor paintwork , last year this didn't require a Poly Tunnel but apparently does now and as they are fully booked until next Spring I have embarked on the job myself . I am reasonably well versed in the Procedures having done it many times and confident regards the quality of the Final Job , finding the time is the issue and of course this excessive heat which is limiting progress . The application of the Fertan and the general preparation has been ok but the use of Nitromors has been almost ineffective  , it simply drys out before having much effect . I am using Nitromors purely in a limited capacity in those parts the sander wont reach . I am thinking I should probably best apply this at nightime and forget about it till next morning ? Does anyone have any thoughts or perhaps a better Product ?

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I was hoping to Book the Boat into Baxters Boatyard at Yardley Gobion for some minor paintwork , last year this didn't require a Poly Tunnel but apparently does now and as they are fully booked until next Spring I have embarked on the job myself . I am reasonably well versed in the Procedures having done it many times and confident regards the quality of the Final Job , finding the time is the issue and of course this excessive heat which is limiting progress . The application of the Fertan and the general preparation has been ok but the use of Nitromors has been almost ineffective  , it simply drys out before having much effect . I am using Nitromors purely in a limited capacity in those parts the sander wont reach . I am thinking I should probably best apply this at nightime and forget about it till next morning ? Does anyone have any thoughts or perhaps a better Product ?

I am no expert but used nitromors in the eighties and it was a brillliant product. It may be that modern stuff has been made " Green " and doesnt work anymore?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am no expert but used nitromors in the eighties and it was a brillliant product. It may be that modern stuff has been made " Green " and doesnt work anymore?

I wondered why I hadn't seen a Dead Fish ?

• Happy 1

The new Nitrmors is as much use as a chocolate teapot. I source paint stripper from a local from a local company who provide paint, sundries and equipment to the auto refinishing industry, you may have better luck if there is a similar source nearby.

Dave

12 minutes ago, dave moore said:

The new Nitrmors is as much use as a chocolate teapot. I source paint stripper from a local from a local company who provide paint, sundries and equipment to the auto refinishing industry, you may have better luck if there is a similar source nearby.

Dave

Thanks Dave

Our roof is reaching 65 deg C during the day with the sun on it. Ok, the places you are trying to strip won't be that hot but over 30 degC, anything that uses solvent is not going to be that good. I'm afraid you need to be thinking about doing it from 5am to 9am when you stand a chance of solvent based systems working. Don't forget this applies to paint as well. The primer is designed to 'wet' the surface and so adhere to the substrate. Too hot and it won't wet well enough so poor performance. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Our roof is reaching 65 deg C during the day with the sun on it. Ok, the places you are trying to strip won't be that hot but over 30 degC, anything that uses solvent is not going to be that good. I'm afraid you need to be thinking about doing it from 5am to 9am when you stand a chance of solvent based systems working. Don't forget this applies to paint as well. The primer is designed to 'wet' the surface and so adhere to the substrate. Too hot and it won't wet well enough so poor performance. 

Totally understand that Bob and thanks for the reply , you dont reckon perhaps that Nitromors isn't the product it used to be ? I must admit that taking on Daves comments above it just doesn't seem to bubble up the Paint like it used to

As others have said it is not what it used to be, a lot of older products have lost their 'magic' ingredients-probably a good thing in some cases. You are lucky to remove one coat at a time under optimum conditions let alone in the current heatwave. 

I have a lovely old brass Klaxon with about 5 layers of paint on it of various ages. As most of the paint is decades old I imagined Nitromoors would get it off easily enough. 

Oddly, the Nitromoors dissolves the top and newest layer perfectly but seems completely unable to soften or affect in any way any of the older layers. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have a lovely old brass Klaxon with about 5 layers of paint on it of various ages. As most of the paint is decades old I imagined Nitromoors would get it off easily enough. 

Oddly, the Nitromoors dissolves the top and newest layer perfectly but seems completely unable to soften or affect in any way any of the older layers. 

Proper paint from BEFORE the longhaired, pinky, liberal EU do-gooders got to it, and modern stripper AFTER the longhaired, pinky liberal EU do-gooders got to it.

Not a good combination !!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If you need to leave Nitromors on for any length of time then the trick is to cover it with clingfilm. That seals in the solvent and allows it to work for hours. Notwithstanding the fact that the modern stuff is cra... very poor. 

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Try wrapping it up in clingfilm and leaving it for 24 hours. 

Edited by WotEver
Tryping

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Try wrapping it up in clingfilm and leaving it for 24 hours. 

I will try that, thanks.

The idea crossed my mind fleetingly and unverbalised, but I initially dismissed it as I thought the solvents might make a horrible mess of the clingfilm too!

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Proper paint from BEFORE the longhaired, pinky, liberal EU do-gooders got to it, and modern stripper AFTER the longhaired, pinky liberal EU do-gooders got to it.

Not a good combination !!

Maybe put the asbestos back into brake pads, the carcinogenic compounds back into herbicides?

1 minute ago, BWM said:

Maybe put the asbestos back into brake pads, the carcinogenic compounds back into herbicides?

I don't think that would be a good idea. More people would die of cancer surely?

(Just doing that thing that peeps here do to me sometimes, take my irony straight, at face value and reply accordingly, haha!)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BWM said:

I think the difference there is that modern brake pads actualy work well but modern nitromors simply doesnt.

As everyone has told you Nitromors just ain't the same since "the improvement" ……….

Oddly, although the active ingredients aren't included, and basically you're left with the jelly, the price is still eye watering.

You can buy the original if you declare you are a professional with industrial workshops and all of the Safety Elfins at your disposal.

Even more odd is that if you go on eBay and search for the no longer included active ingredient you can just buy it, no questions asked.

And because Nitromors won't tell you how much of the brain rotting nasty stuff they put in the jelly, you're then tempted to guess the quantities ….. which isn't dangerous at all is it?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

As everyone has told you Nitromors just ain't the same since "the improvement" ……….

Oddly, although the active ingredients aren't included, and basically you're left with the jelly, the price is still eye watering.

You can buy the original if you declare you are a professional with industrial workshops and all of the Safety Elfins at your disposal.

Even more odd is that if you go on eBay and search for the no longer included active ingredient you can just buy it, no questions asked.

And because Nitromors won't tell you how much of the brain rotting nasty stuff they put in the jelly, you're then tempted to guess the quantities ….. which isn't dangerous at all is it?

An exellent and well versed post on " Progress "

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think the difference there is that modern brake pads actualy work well but modern nitromors simply doesnt.

I can't disagree with that, would have been better to discontinue it but the name makes money (snake oil comes to mind).

There are many products that benefited from toxic ingredients that are substandard now, petrol being the obvious, less efficient and a definite use by date. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, BWM said:

What a cracking idea, since the 'safety' of every aspect of daily life has 'improved' the population has increased dramatically leading to stretching of resources, hospitals, etc.

Some re-alignment is now well overdue.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So what IS the missing 'active ingrediment' then?

I don't mind being responsible for my own untimely demise, but if you want your eyes to dissolve into a couple of stinging puddles of discoloured gunge resting on your cheeks ….. then you'll have to do your own research, sorry!

I am reminded of a friend, whom at the time of compulsory seat belts got his Mum to knit him a beige jumper with a black diagonal stripe bottom left to top right.

His explanation being …… "If I want to die on the bonnet of my car having just exited through the windscreen and wearing the steering wheel like a crown …. Then I Shall!"

1 hour ago, BWM said:

I can't disagree with that, would have been better to discontinue it but the name makes money (snake oil comes to mind).

There are many products that benefited from toxic ingredients that are substandard now, petrol being the obvious, less efficient and a definite use by date. 

In what way is petrol less efficient now compared to 20 or 30 years ago?