The Fat Ones are revolting.

zenataomm

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Those places are Navigable by broad canals as well apart from the Llangollen.   

Really? I haven't yet discovered the Oxford Broad Canal.

12 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I'm not aware of any broad canals to Oxford!

(Mind you my narrow boat cannot currently get to Oxford via the narrow canal, due to shrinkage of some of the locks!)

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

(Mind you my narrow boat cannot currently get to Oxford via the narrow canal, due to shrinkage of some of the locks!)

Its funny that Alan. I can no longer get into a 38 waist pair of trousers I think they make em narrower these days :wacko:

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If you're on about pure canals, then doesn't that remove Navigations like A&C, C&H, as parts of these are rivers.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its funny that Alan. I can no longer get into a 38 waist pair of trousers I think they make em narrower these days :wacko:

I was thinking along similar lines: I can't get my 10-year old jeans to fasten, obviously due to trouser shrinkage.

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

I would refer my learned friend to my post #7 where I make the point narrow canals or those no longer suitable for boats other than narrow.  Of course there are canal boats wider than narrowboats.  Revolting fatboats  Sorry fatboats that are in the process of revolting are canal boats.  However I am under the impression there are more miles of narrow than wide canal, happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.

Yes, you are wrong. As built, there were around 1200 miles of narrow canals, compared to around 1800 of wide waterways. Of course, the latter include river navigations.

What does annoy me a bit on the L&LC are those people with narrow boats who tie up such that a L&LC short boat has difficulty getting through. Unfortunately, BW also allowed moorings close to bridge holes, which also creates a problem. I never understood why they did this as it was against their byelaws at one time. A boat's length had to be left either side of a bridge to allow boats to manoeuvre so as to get through the bridge without damage to either boat or bridge.

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

So not Manchester then!

????

The Ashton Canal

Authorised in 1792 and opened shortly afterwards, the Ashton was a strong rival of the Rochdale Canal - with which it connects in Manchester.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

????

It was a list of places -  "Oxford, Llangollen, Manchester, Huddersfield etc all "the Midlands" then?"    All these apart from Llangollen are Navigable by wide beam boats.   If you stick to only CRT navigation's then you can still get to Manchester and Huddersfield with a wide beam boat.    If it was list of  canals, then Manchester canal is rather more than wide beam.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

So not Manchester then!

The name may be Ashton but one end is in Ducie St Manchester, or are we only counting the names of canals?

In which case, how close does the Peak Forest Canal get to Peak Forest?

George

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

The name may be Ashton but one end is in Ducie St Manchester, or are we only counting the names of canals?

In which case, how close does the Peak Forest Canal get to Peak Forest?

George

....or the Ashby to....well, you get the idea.

6 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

As I said majority of the narrow canals are really only in the Midlands and the majority of the rest are wide someone got pedantic and listed particular places which arn't in the Midlands - but half the places that were listed have broad canals!    Looking at all the other areas and even if only just CRT canals they are mainly wide.   The narrow ones are really just grouped together whilst the wide ones look to more spread out and cover larger areas.

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

It shows Navigable waterways, the majority of the Narrow canals are really only in the Midlands, the majority of the rest are wide.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

The South Oxford and Huddersfield certainly aren't. 

Just now, Robbo said:

I can get too Huddersfield in my 12ft wide boat, used to moor their so I should know.

The Huddersfield narrow canal is what was being referred to, as I'm sure you are aware. 

You can add nearly all branches of the grand union, the Leicester, Aylesbury, etc. to the total available only to narrow craft. 

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

The Huddersfield narrow canal is what was being referred to, as I'm sure you are aware. 

But is there not also a Huddersfield Broad Canal which will take widebeam boats? So this point, at least, of Robbo's is valid.

Just now, BWM said:

You can add nearly all branches of the grand union, the Leicester, Aylesbury, etc. to the total available only to narrow craft. 

Only places were named, Manchester, Huddersfield, Oxford, Ll...(whatever).   I can get to majority in a wide beam boat...

If it was canals, then....

Manchester Canal - big canal!, 

Huddersfield Canal - broad and narrow,

Oxford canal - narrow,

Ll canal... - narrow

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

Because the majority of the system is wide even if you just count the canals, only the midlands is the real narrow bit.

So that I can learn can you quantify the distances?  I work metric or imperial.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

But you absolutely do have to be stuck with a  narrowboat unless you consider regular hiring of cranes and trucks at megga bucks a  go part of boating? if you use the system. 

If you wish to cover all the canals then yes you will.  However the map posted shows there are more miles of navigable waterway than narrow and Robbo tells me there are more miles of wide canal than narrow.  So the majority of the system is open to widebeams, contrary to the continuous but we can only access part of the system yes a part but the majority of the system.

Just now, Robbo said:

Yes wide canals are wider than narrow canals usually by 7ft.

Oh very droll, now what about the real answer?