3M Thinsulate

Featured Posts

Is Thinsulate still used for boat insulation applications, or did they give up because of the cost compared to other materials? I can't find it online except for clothes.

I'm sure I still saw it being demonstrated in a tent at Crick about 5 years ago. I just need an 18" square sample to insulate an area where thicker insulation wouldn't fit.

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is Thinsulate still used for boat insulation applications, or did they give up because of the cost compared to other materials? I can't find it online except for clothes.

I'm sure I still saw it being demonstrated in a tent at Crick about 5 years ago. I just need an 18" square sample to insulate an area where thicker insulation wouldn't fit.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/safety/thinsulate/node_NJWMB71PCRbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_9C0X0T3W56ge/gvel_CLH900H6PTgl/theme_us_thinsulate_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Google the product number comes up with some UK suppliers.

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Thanks. That's bringing up thinsulate acoustic insulation. I'm looking for thermal insulation. Sorry I should have made that clear. 

There definitely used to be a Thinsulate marketed as thermal insulation for boats.

Edited by blackrose

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. That's bringing up thinsulate acoustic insulation. I'm looking for thermal insulation. Sorry I should have made that clear. 

There definitely used to be a Thinsulate marketed as thermal insulation for boats.

Think it’s the same stuff, it does have a R rating....  http://www.marineindustrial.co.uk/files//391326f8-36f7-48a0-8849-a62c0102f91a/3M Thinsulate TDS.pdf

25 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I can't see how it can be the same stuff? When it comes to foams thermal insulation is closed cell and acoustic insulation is open cell, so wouldn't there be some difference with a material like Thinsulate? Maybe not, I suppose rockwool has both thermal and acoustic insulation properties.

Edited by blackrose

Thermal insulation Thinsulate is definitely available. We had our new back cabin insulated with this recently.  It's an excellent insulator in my opinion.  The back cabin remained condensation free all winter.  

Because space is at a premium in a traditional back cabin, Thinsulate means that the lining can be fixed very close to the outside steel.

Just now, koukouvagia said:

Thermal insulation Thinsulate is definitely available. We had our new back cabin insulated with this recently.  It's an excellent insulator in my opinion.  The back cabin remained condensation free all winter.  

Because space is at a premium in a traditional back cabin, Thinsulate means that the lining can be fixed very close to the outside steel.

Thanks. Who fitted it for you?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I managed to get hold of some. Should it be applied black side to the steel or white side or either? The place I bought it from said either but I just wanted to double check. I could use double sided tape, spray adhesive or a PU sealant/adhesive (stixall) to stick it down - what's best?#

Thanks

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Hi, I managed to get hold of some. Should it be applied black side to the steel or white side or either? The place I bought it from said either but I just wanted to double check. I could use double sided tape, spray adhesive or a PU sealant/adhesive (stixall) to stick it down - what's best?#

Thanks

Mine's fitted with black side to the steel.  I imagine because it's easier to apply the spray adhesive this way.

4 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Mine's fitted with black side to the steel.  I imagine because it's easier to apply the spray adhesive this way.

Thanks. Is the spray adhesive you used just ordinary stuff you'd use to stick carpet tiles down, or a special 3M product?

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. Is the spray adhesive you used just ordinary stuff you'd use to stick carpet tiles down, or a special 3M product?

Sorry, Mike.  Can't answer that because someone else was doing the job for me.   For what it's worth I used ordinary stuff to stick heavy sound insulation on my engine compartment and that is fine.

Ok thanks. I'll just use the ordinary stuff.

I thought about sticking it white side down just because it's insulating the lid of my BT battery locker on the bow deck and I thought perhaps it would be better that way around to prevent spiders or insects from nesting in the insulation. 

I didn't have enough space above the batteries otherwise I'd have used celotex.

Edited by blackrose

38 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Hi, I managed to get hold of some. 

Where abouts from please? I'll be going down this route soon and need to find a source.

Thanks 

Marine Industrial in Norfolk: 01692-406822

Just make sure you're sitting down when they quote you the price!

How much do you need? I've got one square metre which I've just cut about a 17" square from. If you want the rest for half of what I paid send me a PM. Their MOQ is 1m2 so if you only want a small piece it might save you some money.

Edited by blackrose

I'm still weighing up options and so don't have any proper measurements yet but it's for Ariel's back cabin.

Not as much as you'd need for a full cabin boat but a bit more than you have spare unfortunately. Thanks though! 

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

So is mine.

Yes, I just did the same. My thoughts were that spray adhesive applied to the white side would get absorbed into the material and ruin its insulation properties. 

1 hour ago, Liam said:

I'm still weighing up options and so don't have any proper measurements yet but it's for Ariel's back cabin.

Why are people insulating back cabins with Thinsulate? A few of you have done it. Why can't you just use much cheaper celotex, etc?

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, I just did the same. My thoughts were that spray adhesive applied to the white side would get absorbed into the material and ruin its insulation properties. 

Why are people insulating back cabins with Thinsulate? A few of you have done it. Why can't you just use much cheaper celotex, etc?

Two reasons: it's very easy to fit into curved and awkwardly shaped areas; it's much thinner than celotex ot rockwool etc. and therefore the lining can be much closer to the steel sides.  This is especially important when every inch gained is a bonus in a small, traditional back cabin.

I fitted the white side to the steel when I fitted it under my counter as it wasn’t going to be lined due to the shape and it seems to be fine. I did it quite a few years ago and used a 3M adhesive that was designed for it. You coated both the white side and the steel as you would a contact adhesive. 

When I worked for a boat fitter we used it on a couple of boats and always fitted white side to surface....I’m sure this is what 3M said to do at the time. 

Hi there,

I pondered this for some time but went Thinsulate for flexibility....black side to steel but don't use standard spray glue....I had to keep re-applying then high temp Trim Fix was recommended to me....great stuff!! Nothing sagging or releasing now.....

......oh and the Thinsulate is good as well ?