Help! Flooded bilge

Featured Posts

I had a little mishap yesterday when the hose between the water filling point and the water tank came loose and flooded the bilge.  I got a lot of it out using a wet and dry vac, but I can't get all of it out as I don't know where my inspection hatch is without ripping up all my lino and carpets.

My boat is an ex canaltime boat, 55ft, built by South West Durham Steelcraft.  Does anyone know if these boats have one before I start systematically ripping everything up?

11 minutes ago, Fatjoff said:

I had a little mishap yesterday when the hose between the water filling point and the water tank came loose and flooded the bilge.  I got a lot of it out using a wet and dry vac, but I can't get all of it out as I don't know where my inspection hatch is without ripping up all my lino and carpets.

My boat is an ex canaltime boat, 55ft, built by South West Durham Steelcraft.  Does anyone know if these boats have one before I start systematically ripping everything up?

It may not have one. just cut a hole in the floor at the back end with a dril and jigsaw. Best in the bottom of a cupboard or wardrobe if possible.

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless I knew exactly where the floor bearers are located I think that nowadays I would use a vibrating multi-tool (Ferm).

I knew someone who had one of those, she called it 'rabbit' not 'ferm' (although I believe it was quite ferm)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

If you know the thickness of the floorboard, say 18mm a jigsaw will cut a hatch. riddle drill a start hole slot and with two pairs of pliers snap off a bit of the blade leaving the 18mm at full stroke. This will dodge over the bearers. I cut the whole of a bathroom floor out like this dodging all around the toilet, shower ect on a boat where a lady had gone through because of water rot caused by a plastic pipe letting go with the pump switched on whilst she was out.          Switch the water pump off when leaving the boat unattended.

if you have a decent hardwood floor a multi-tool will struggle and blunt all the blades you have; they were designed to remove plaster casts from arms and legs, and are quite good at cutting the base of softwood door frames when laying flooring.  ................... mind you, they are excellent detail sanders.

personally I would establish where the floor bearers are not with a few drilled holes, and then use a 150m holesaw (drill attachment) to cut a big hole (needs a steady hand and a good drill) and then close the hole with a dinghy type screw-on hatch.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

if you have a decent hardwood floor a multi-tool will struggle and blunt all the blades you have; they were designed to remove plaster casts from arms and legs, and are quite good at cutting the base of softwood door frames when laying flooring.  ................... mind you, they are excellent detail sanders.

personally I would establish where the floor bearers are not with a few drilled holes, and then use a 150m holesaw (drill attachment) to cut a big hole (needs a steady hand and a good drill) and then close the hole with a dinghy type screw-on hatch.

I cut through 32mm of plywood the other week to fit an electrical outlet, Borrowed one thankfully.