Jabsco par max 3.5 problems

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I have a Jabsco 1395 which is operating fine as far as the Pump itself goes , my issue is Water weeping from the seam of the Pump which causes the Pump to fire up and drain the Batteries whilst I am away from the Boat often for several Days . These Pumps are in the region of £135 to replaced I am wondering if I could coat the Joint perhaps in some Sealant , I have a Mate who installs Swimming Pools , Jacuzzis and such like and he reckons he has a few Trade Products that may do the job , its a very small weep that unfortunately is just enough to set the Pump off .

And the water has to go somewhere and collect.

I suspect it is coming from the joint in the pump body and there are overhaul kits available but a number of us have had little long term success with them. As long as you keep any gloop away from the valves and pressure switch/drilling there is no harm in trying. If it works then a result if not it is still a new pump.

8 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I have a Jabsco 1395 which is operating fine as far as the Pump itself goes , my issue is Water weeping from the seam of the Pump which causes the Pump to fire up and drain the Batteries whilst I am away from the Boat often for several Days . These Pumps are in the region of £135 to replaced I am wondering if I could coat the Joint perhaps in some Sealant , I have a Mate who installs Swimming Pools , Jacuzzis and such like and he reckons he has a few Trade Products that may do the job , its a very small weep that unfortunately is just enough to set the Pump off .

This doesnt really stack up. Even a large weep would only make the pump blip every few minutes, or run for 30 seconds every hour or two if you have a proper accumulator. Certainly not enough power drain to flatten batteries over just a few days. Something else must be going wrong too, to flatten the batts as you describe, but what? Besides, your solar would easily keep up with such a small power drain assuming you have solar, and if not why not?

I’ve just diagnosed a similar battery flattening problem on my own boat. The relay switching the heater plugs was intermittently jamming ON, and the heater plugs get their power from the domestic batts. And no it wasn't me wired it up like that!! 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This doesnt really stack up. Even a large weep would only make the pump blip every few minutes, or run for 30 seconds every hour or two if you have a proper accumulator. Certainly not enough power drain to flatten batteries over just a few days. Something else must be going wrong too, to flatten the batts as you describe, but what? Besides, your solar would easily keep up with such a small power drain assuming you have solar, and if not why not?

I’ve just diagnosed a similar battery flattening problem on my own boat. The relay switching the heater plugs was intermittently jamming ON, and the heater plugs get their power from the domestic batts. And no it wasn't me wired it up like that!! 

Sadly no Solar and no Accumulator Mike but another Damp Patch directly beneath the Pump this evening , apart from that the only constant Drain I have is the 12v Fridge . I have been turning the Water off before it reaches the Pump  so at least I wont be flooded , I have no Switch to kill the Pump Independently and like you I never wired in that way either .

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

And the water has to go somewhere and collect.

I suspect it is coming from the joint in the pump body and there are overhaul kits available but a number of us have had little long term success with them. As long as you keep any gloop away from the valves and pressure switch/drilling there is no harm in trying. If it works then a result if not it is still a new pump.

Exactly this Tony , I tried the old Dry Tissue Trick and this has been confirmed . Thanks everyone for your Comments .

8 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Sadly no Solar and no Accumulator Mike but another Damp Patch directly beneath the Pump this evening , apart from that the only constant Drain I have is the 12v Fridge . I have been turning the Water off before it reaches the Pump  so at least I wont be flooded , I have no Switch to kill the Pump Independently and like you I never wired in that way either .

Well, once the leak is sorted I would suggest that fitting a switch should be very high on your list of to dos. Also turning the battery master switch off when you leave the boat for a day or so should also isolate the pump but if you leave it on so the fridge keeps running then I suspect that without solar or shore power you have ruined your batteries by leaving them very discharged. I bet they only have a fraction of their original capacity now.

My comment about the leak collecting somewhere - you have checked the accommodation bulge at the back I trust. If not you could have a lot of water in it unless its an all in one bilge boat.

9 hours ago, Parahandy said:

the only constant Drain I have is the 12v Fridge

Without solar a fridge will flatten your batteries in a few days. As Tony B states, you probably require new batteries by now but do not fit them until you get into the habit of turning off everything including the fridge when leaving the boat. As a priority get some solar fitted, even 100W will go a long way to increasing battery longevity. 

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, once the leak is sorted I would suggest that fitting a switch should be very high on your list of to dos. Also turning the battery master switch off when you leave the boat for a day or so should also isolate the pump but if you leave it on so the fridge keeps running then I suspect that without solar or shore power you have ruined your batteries by leaving them very discharged. I bet they only have a fraction of their original capacity now.

My comment about the leak collecting somewhere - you have checked the accommodation bulge at the back I trust. If not you could have a lot of water in it unless its an all in one bilge boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JABSCO-BOAT-CARAVAN-MOBILE-HOME-WATER-PRESSURE-PUMP-12V-31295-0092-1-9GPM/152787317792?epid=6011037527&hash=item2392d57420:g:BwwAAOSweZJaCwMi

I have just ordered a New Pump from Ebay Tony and unfortunately your observations about the Batteries are doubtless correct . I shall check the Bulge but I think given the paucity of the leak I will hopefully be ok . Thanks for your thoughts Tony they are much appreciated .

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its absolutely incredible Mike the mark up on these Pumps , a stinking £50 to £60 at Midland Chandlers .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JABSCO-BOAT-CARAVAN-MOBILE-HOME-WATER-PRESSURE-PUMP-12V-31295-0092-1-9GPM/152787317792?epid=6011037527&hash=item2392d57420:g:BwwAAOSweZJaCwMi

£75 including Postage . You are almost Paying the Price of Two Pumps ?

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

But it’s not the pump that’s flattering the batteries, it’s the fridge!

But its the Pump thats Leaking not the Fridge .

48 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

But its the Pump thats Leaking not the Fridge .

Which has nothing to do with your batteries going flat. By all means change the pump but you’ll still have flat batteries if you don’t switch the fridge off. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Which has nothing to do with your batteries going flat. By all means change the pump but you’ll still have flat batteries if you don’t switch the fridge off. 

Bank of four and an hours running per Day have given me my customary three Years , but yes you are right . I have a Tug Style shell and Solar just doesn't look right in my opinion . A bit like a Go Faster Stripe on a Rolls Royce

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Why not turn it off everytime you leave the boat? 

We always do.

Me too. I thought everyone did?

I've had a Parmax 3.5 on my boat for the past 9 years and it's been fine apart from a small leak several years ago where it was sucking in air when it ran but didn't leak water, so that was tricky to diagnose. I fixed it with some Stixall. No problems with the internal pressure switch though. 

Edited by blackrose

12 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I have been turning the Water off before it reaches the Pump  so at least I wont be flooded , I have no Switch to kill the Pump Independently

So if you turn the water off but leave the pump switched on, then once the leak causes the pump to cut in, it will be unable to pump the water pressure up again, so will run continuously until the batteries are flat, and will probably ruin the pump in the process!

Just get in the habit of pulling the pump circuit fuse out or switching the relevant breaker when leaving the boat. Better to fit a dedicated switch near the pump.

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

So if you turn the water off but leave the pump on, then once the leak causes the pump to cut in, it will be unable to pump the water pressure up again, so will run continuously until the batteries are flat, and will probably ruin the pump in the process!

Correct about that David , I have now dissed the Pump .

20 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Exactly this Tony , I tried the old Dry Tissue Trick and this has been confirmed . Thanks everyone for your Comments .

No solar and no pump switch plus 12 volt fridge. How big is your battery bank, what condition is it in and how well charged are they when you leave the boat. A fridge could use a leisure battery worth of electric in 24 hrs. If you turn the water off the pump probably runs continuously once it kicks in because it can't build the pressure up again.

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No solar and no pump switch plus 12 volt fridge. How big is your battery bank, what condition is it in and how well charged are they when you leave the boat. A fridge could use a leisure battery worth of electric in 24 hrs. If you turn the water off the pump probably runs continuously once it kicks in because it can't build the pressure up again.

My Bank consists of 4 Three Year Old Exide Leisure Batteries Brian and of course you are correct in all you say . How long do you get from your Leisures Brian in term of Years ?

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

So if you turn the water off but leave the pump switched on, then once the leak causes the pump to cut in, it will be unable to pump the water pressure up again, so will run continuously until the batteries are flat, and will probably ruin the pump in the process!

Yes, if you're shutting off the water supply then you must switch off the pump.

29 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

My Bank consists of 4 Three Year Old Exide Leisure Batteries Brian and of course you are correct in all you say . How long do you get from your Leisures Brian in term of Years ?

Last lot 7 years but I didn't look after them and let the water level get far too low. Trojan 105

52 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I have 3 x 130 Ah Exide leisure batteries and I think this is their sixth year but I do have solar and I do run the engine for a couple of hours early in the day (4 hours in winter) and I turn the master switches off each time I leave the boat. The boat is a holiday boat heavily used during the summer and  lighter two nights use in the winter.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have 3 x 130 Ah Exide leisure batteries and I think this is their sixth year but I do have solar and I do run the engine for a couple of hours early in the day (4 hours in winter) and I turn the master switches off each time I leave the boat. The boat is a holiday boat heavily used during the summer and  lighter two nights use in the winter.

If you have more than ample battery capacity and  only exceptionally use more than  a small amount of the battery capacity but also use the batteries often,as you seem to be doing, the batteries should have a long life.

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

If you have more than ample battery capacity and  only exceptionally use more than  a small amount of the battery capacity but also use the batteries often,as you seem to be doing, the batteries should have a long life.

That is perfectly correct but Parahandy asked Brian how long in years he gets from his batteries. My reading of Parahandy's posts suggests he is abusing his bank big time and is doing well to get as long as three years out of it. If he had cheaper leisure batteries I suspect the life could be down to a year or less.

Edited by Tony Brooks

34 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is perfectly correct but Parahandy asked Brian how long in years he gets from his batteries. My reading of Parahandy's posts suggests he is abusing his bank big time and is doing well to get as long as three years out of it. If he had cheaper leisure batteries I suspect the life could be down to a year or less.

I know a battery abuser and he managed 4 years out of cheap batteries. But I suspect he had been putting up with little capacity for some time.

I have had the same make and model of batteries 4 years . They remain serviceable but had not so long ago shown signs of weakness. I gave them a controlled over charge and we shall see in due course whether that has  done any good. So far looking good but I dont expect miracles.

On 30/06/2019 at 19:32, ditchcrawler said:

Well the New Jabsco Pump arrived Today and I have already have it installed . The outlay was £75 , Postage Free and arrived Next Day from Chas Newens Marine down in Putney , well packaged you simply couldn't fault the Service and certainly not the Price .