Alexander boat builders?

Featured Posts

Hi all, so looked at a boat today that was much much more traditional in its internal fixtires and fittings than we would normaly go for based at abnb boats. The hull was made by alexander boats? Any knowledge ir thoughts on the builder? And the fit out was by roger fincher? Again any thoughts

Really liked it a good length but a real surprise in that its a trad stern and it was not toooooo bad as the front cratch was large and perfect for sitting with a beer in the summer.

Alexander are a going concern, have been for quite a few years in fact, and as far as I know they're well thought of. They do tend to build quite shapely boats. Have a look at their web site.

Roger Fincher has been mentioned on here but I can't remember in what context; perhaps people were wondering if he was related to forum stalwart Alan Fincher (which I don't think he is).

We have a trad-stern boat and yes, of a summer evening you may see us sitting on the front well deck with our bevvies. Apart from anything else, it's much easier to get to the galley from there than it would be from the blunty end. Oh, and to the loo too.

Im 6ft and wiffster is 5ft 2 and yes lady richmond. Not to our immediate tastes internaly we like fresh and modern but im willing to put in a bit of work to make her our boat... good asking price too for a 2012 boat and the engine and engine bay.....well eat ya dinner time there its immaculate. Stern gland looked a little wet tho but had an empty bucket under it.

14 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Im 6ft and wiffster is 5ft 2 and yes lady richmond. Not to our immediate tastes internaly we like fresh and modern but im willing to put in a bit of work to make her our boat... good asking price too for a 2012 boat and the engine and engine bay.....well eat ya dinner time there its immaculate. Stern gland looked a little wet tho but had an empty bucket under it.

The reason I asked your heights is that the boat has a permanent cross-bed which is stated to be 5'11" long - though I'm sure that the mattress will be a six-footer. So you'll just about be able to stretch out without going diagonal ("Wiffster" of course would have no problem). Now, cross-beds are a Good Thing because they save space lengthwise; we have one on Trojan, but I'm 5'10" or so and Mrs. Athy is more petite in terms of height, so we have no problems. If you had been 6'3" I'd say that the boat would not suit you.

Go and have a look. I realise that Soton to Crick is quite a step but you've got a nice long weekend to do it in, unless you have to work anti-social hours.

Edited by Athy

Already seen her been looking at boats alllllll day she is very nice and has an offer on her that has been rejected. We do not know that offer obviously but i would like to modernose her internaly a touch. Another downside is there is no loo......just a stand alone cassette but there is space for a loo.....odd.

27 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Already seen her been looking at boats alllllll day she is very nice and has an offer on her that has been rejected. We do not know that offer obviously but i would like to modernose her internaly a touch. Another downside is there is no loo......just a stand alone cassette but there is space for a loo.....odd.

By stand alone cassette do you mean porta potti or unfixed cassette? Either are first class.  Alexander boats are good a friend had a 70 footer several years ago from them.

Just a standard camping portapotti thing....id prefer a propper electric flush cassette toilet i think but there is no plumbing there for it. They are using the space for the loo for a twin tub washing machine.......great paintwork on her and a nice dry boat. Will deffo need painting tho she is only what...8 years old but looks like she was built for an elderly couple in the classic  style

Alexander Boats are Jim Sparks. I met him in the 80s when he was building for Brummagem Boats years ago. Solid, well developed steelwork with good lines.....spoken well of by my good friend Graham Edgson, one of the best in the field.....

Dave

40 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Sorry, I had not realised that you had been out looking today.

"No loo?" A Porta-Potti IS a loo! As you have just surmised (after I started my post and then went back to ABNB's web site to check) the throne space is occupied by the twin-tub. You say you don't mind a few changes, and in such a spacious boat it may be possible to re-site the washing machine and to install an electric PP - but although we have an electric-flush one now, our two previous boats didn't, and it wasn't the end of the world. After all, how long per day do you spend on it? (You do not need to answer this!) Ask ABNB for advice - they are experienced and have probably seen every possible interior boat layout in their time.

Regarding offers, ABNB tend to price their boats realistically rather than ten grand too high, hence they may not be willing to countenance "cheeky offers". Make them an offer, if it doesn't work, make them another. I have, by the way, dealt with them in the past and they are an honest lot.

Thanks athy for your great advice and to all who have commented. Electric flush is not the end of the world i must say and a drain on power to boot.....i think we shall be putting in an offer. Need to paint the roof white to counter the dark wood in there and then maybe sage walls above the gunnels. Get rid of the damb dinette i hate them...spin the multi fuel stove 45 so facing out forward and fit a new kitchen/breakfast bar with a more modern wooden look. A fair bit of work but over a year acheivable i think.

All at abnb were really accomodating...started the boat talked us round were clear and concise....cant fault them in any way....

I presume you are talking about Our Lady Richmond, friends of ours owned the previous boat  fitted out which was Lady Richmond and was a very tidy boat and was sold at the back end of last year. They lived on Lady Richmond for about 16 years and I think sold it for a bit less than what Our Lady Richmond is advertised at.

Yes our lady richmond is the one 

28 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I presume you are talking about Our Lady Richmond, friends of ours owned the previous boat  fitted out which was Lady Richmond and was a very tidy boat and was sold at the back end of last year. They lived on Lady Richmond for about 16 years and I think sold it for a bit less than what Our Lady Richmond is advertised at.

Weve just sat at home and done some sums to work out the costs etc and just looking into kitchens and alike to freshen the feel of the boat a bit even tho its only 8 years old its all like new but dated in design.. just there style i guess. Think she is a lovely boat and very well maintained. So you know the owners....sorry if i missread that?

I know its a weird thing to say but it feels like an honest boat....

Edited by Matt&Jo

The hull on my boat was built by Alexander. To me its a good looking she'll with a subtle rise to the rear of the cabin. Not like the "ski ramp" favoured by some builders... Nice touches like scrolled ends to cants and a hand rail recessed into the front cabin side to help accessential into the well deck

Compared to my last boat, which had a hull by Graham Reeves, it handles slightly more positively and seems to create less wash.

18 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Didn't Alexander build most if not all of the now ex Challenger fleet?

They were fitted out by Blue Haven at Hillmorton, but don't know what shell they used. I'm told there's quite a waiting list for Alexander shells.

16 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Electric flush is not the end of the world i must say and a drain on power to boot....

All the electric flush does on an inbuilt cassette toilet is operate a solenoid valve to let the water through.

That will use such an infintessimally small amount of power it is irrelevant in overall terms.  The water pump running to supply half a cupful (or so) of water for a flush will probably use more!

17 hours ago, Athy said:

Roger Fincher has been mentioned on here but I can't remember in what context; perhaps people were wondering if he was related to forum stalwart Alan Fincher (which I don't think he is).

I'm aware this name has come up in the past, but I have no idea who who is.

Although I have done family history research in the past, his is not a name I can link in any way to myself.

I am intrigued though, because there aren't that many Finchers in the whole country.