Which diesel engine would people recommend for a narrowboat

FluffyVal

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

Not true Dave I had a BMC 1500 in the bathtub and waited a long while for some parts that I needed, and the spill rail is unavailable and bodging it is a BSS fail, I did try multiple suppliers. In the end I pulled it out and fitted a Lynch electric motor ready for a cheaper, cleaner, and quieter future

I am not sure why anyone able to do what you are doing to the boat would bother with a new spill rail. In the years before the BSS we had to comply with the Thames Conservancy launch Regulations that were similar to the BSS. At that time the only spill rail you could get was one with plastic pipes so non-complaint.  I had little difficulty with silver soldering copper pipe between the existing banjos and if you annealed the pipe you could make it fractionally longer than required and bend it a little to get a perfect fit. I have just remembered that  when we got the boat the Bukh had horrible  fabric covered spill pipe between the injectors so they got the same treatment.

When an apprentice tried to make a spill rail once he overheated the banjo and the pipe stub fell out, they are only brazed or silver soldered together.

Parts for a DIY attempt - https://www.ssldieselparts.co.uk/fittings-banjo-union-c-9_49.html

Edited to add:

As far as the engines are concerned I don't think there is a lot to choose between them BUT some technical feedback I had from the yellow one's marinisers makes me suspect they do no understand the inland market and had or have stipulations that might allow them to avoid warrantee claims. Thy also have funny idea about spares pricing. so that is one make I would avoid. The ones painted a sort of bluish greyish, green also seem to have pricing issues so another I would avoid. Luckily not so many of them used nowadays inland.

Edited by Tony Brooks

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

I wasnt offered an adapter I was just told when they had enough orders they would have them produced! No good if you need a BSS now is it?

As I said not for me, plenty of modern DI engines out there in boats which are newer and 20% more economical than a IDI engine which is why car/plant makers went that route for diesel engines

I'd tend to agree in the main, but, purely speaking for myself, when I was looking for a boat I had a list of specific things I was looking for and then another list of 'preferred things'.  The boat I found ticked every item on my must-have list.  Should I have rejected it due to the engine?  In reality, a BMC engine is likely to be far less painful than a Bolinder for a newby boater and mine had clearly been well cared for.  The only reliability issues I've had, have been with the alternator and the starter motor, not with the engine itself.  A badly neglected modern Japanese engine may well have given me more trouble and it's not always clear what issue may be lying in wait when you're buying.

It's certainly well worth having a good look over an engine and running it hard for a time to look for issues.  I remember a former member (now banned) posting a video of his bmc 1.8 starting up from cold, and I was shocked by the clouds of smoke billowing out from the exhaust.  I told him that there was clearly something very wrong with his engine but he was having none of it (he was a rather 'forthright' fellow - hence the ban).  He insisted that all BMCs smoke like that.  Well, they don't.  I suppose what I'm saying is, there are good and bad examples of all engine models, it can be hard to know what you've got at first.  If a boat ticks all your other boxes, then I'd not worry too much about engine type.  Things which were more important to me when buying included:  hull condition, length, insulation, internal layout, stern style.  These things are more difficult to change than an engine, if they're not right for you.

If I was buying a brand new boat now, I'd have a preference for a modern japanese engine, but if I was looking in the used market, I'd be looking for the best boat I could find which suited my needs.  Engine model would be only one of many variables.

My brains been hurting after listing the engines I have had in various liveaboards ......the penny dropped this morning I forgot about the Bukh I had in one boat and can say that if they were readily available and not a million pounds each they are simply theeeee best.

• Happy 1

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My brains been hurting after listing the engines I have had in various liveaboards ......the penny dropped this morning I forgot about the Bukh I had in one boat and can say that if they were readily available and not a million pounds each they are simply theeeee best.

Our Yanmar lists, but our Lister don't.:)

We had a 10hp Bukh. Agreed they are brilliant. 

Edited by rusty69

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I'd tend to agree in the main, but, purely speaking for myself, when I was looking for a boat I had a list of specific things I was looking for and then another list of 'preferred things'.  The boat I found ticked every item on my must-have list.  Should I have rejected it due to the engine?  In reality, a BMC engine is likely to be far less painful than a Bolinder for a newby boater and mine had clearly been well cared for.  The only reliability issues I've had, have been with the alternator and the starter motor, not with the engine itself.  A badly neglected modern Japanese engine may well have given me more trouble and it's not always clear what issue may be lying in wait when you're buying.

It's certainly well worth having a good look over an engine and running it hard for a time to look for issues.  I remember a former member (now banned) posting a video of his bmc 1.8 starting up from cold, and I was shocked by the clouds of smoke billowing out from the exhaust.  I told him that there was clearly something very wrong with his engine but he was having none of it (he was a rather 'forthright' fellow - hence the ban).  He insisted that all BMCs smoke like that.  Well, they don't.  I suppose what I'm saying is, there are good and bad examples of all engine models, it can be hard to know what you've got at first.  If a boat ticks all your other boxes, then I'd not worry too much about engine type.  Things which were more important to me when buying included:  hull condition, length, insulation, internal layout, stern style.  These things are more difficult to change than an engine, if they're not right for you.

If I was buying a brand new boat now, I'd have a preference for a modern japanese engine, but if I was looking in the used market, I'd be looking for the best boat I could find which suited my needs.  Engine model would be only one of many variables.

I agree with you my 1500 BMC smoked, but once the Injectors were sorted it didnt, and the new heater plugs made it a 3 second starter from cold. The spill rail was annoying but it made me realise what an ideal candidate the Broads cruiser is the convert to electric, Its light the electric motor is much smaller than the BMC so the floor is nearly flat and I have plenty of room for the batteries 8 x 130amp lithiums. It also has a large flat roof for solar panels anyway it goes well on test so the full refit has started for it!!

On 12/02/2018 at 09:40, alan_fincher said:

You might also choose to avoid those (modern-sh) Listers that dictate oil changes on frequencies of no more than 100 hours - I can't recall exactly which models this does and does not apply to.

that is the LPWS range, however it does not apply to all engines even if they bear the same model No
for example some of the lpws4 engines have a larger sump & oil filter allowing them to go for much longer between changes

20 hours ago, peterboat said:

Not true Dave I had a BMC 1500 in the bathtub and waited a long while for some parts that I needed, and the spill rail is unavailable and bodging it is a BSS fail, I did try multiple suppliers. In the end I pulled it out and fitted a Lynch electric motor ready for a cheaper, cleaner, and quieter future

Calcutt sell them i fitted one along with new fuel lines to a boat in november to get it through its bsc

Rick

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No. Because they are a nice engine for a beginner to have. Pretty modern and reliable whilst looking vintage, and oozing personality unlike digger and van engines.

Don't tell me, a bit like yourself!:)

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Which diesel engine would people recommend for a narrowboat"

I'd recommend a Gardner 2LW.

Absolutely (although I rather enjoyed driving Ray Bowern's 4LW..)

However there are at least two types of boater and a 'proper' engine suits a boating enthusiast (such as those who post lots on here).

For the rest who cruise a bit or liveaboard who just want engine to push the boat along and generate power a more modern design is better suited.

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Which diesel engine would people recommend for a narrowboat"

I'd recommend a Gardner 2LW.

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No. Because they are a nice engine for a beginner to have. Pretty modern and reliable whilst looking vintage, and oozing personality unlike digger and van engines.

Or go the whole way, and get an actual narrow boat engine! :D

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dreadful noisy things to live with, and they can't even heat a calorifier. Only a deaf fool would actively choose an air cooled Lister!

I didn't mention any such thing. :)

However if you preserve a working boat, isn't a significant part of it to actually keep in it an engine it had in it's working life, rather than simply dropping in a less appropriate engine just because you can?

Plenty of nice Nationals and RNs out there, of course, if you insist on something where the block will get cracked open if there's a heavy frost, and you have not drained it down!

I seem to remember you fitting something a lot noisier than any air cooled Lister ever is, by the way!

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I seem to remember you fitting something a lot noisier than any air cooled Lister ever is, by the way!

You're imagining it.

I didn't do it. Nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything ......... Bart Simpson

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're imagining it.

I didn't do it. Nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything ......... Bart Simpson

Actually I quite liked it........................

.......... as long as it wasn't me that had to live with it full time!

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Actually I quite liked it........................

.......... as long as it wasn't me that had to live with it full time!

So did I. I loved it actually, but after a while I couldn't afford the three-monthly big end bearing failures.