Boaters please dispose of your rubbish

the barnacle

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It was d not p when I used to take em back. Seriously though in reality people did more recycling I reckon years ago than they do now. Where we have totally got it wrong now is the use of plastic that seems to be wrapped round absolutely everything which is nonsensical.

Your post just reminded me that I was driving into Crewe yesterday when I saw several Bentley cars on a transporter, all of which were wrapped in white polyethene (or similar) material.

18 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Your post just reminded me that I was driving into Crewe yesterday when I saw several Bentley cars on a transporter, all of which were wrapped in white polyethene (or similar) material.

:o But of course!! We musnt scratchy watchy the new shiney paintwork!!

13 minutes ago, catweasel said:

When I had my lifeboat the nearby posh marina lifted their boats out and shrink wrapped them for the winter.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It was d not p when I used to take em back. Seriously though in reality people did more recycling I reckon years ago than they do now. Where we have totally got it wrong now is the use of plastic that seems to be wrapped round absolutely everything which is nonsensical.

The biggest problem with plastic recycling is that the manufacturers mix plastics for their packaging and as separating plastics is not easy, you end up with bales of mixed plastic that cannot be separated. In the past this was land filled - very expensive now - or sent to China - not allowed now. The key to solving the pastic waste problem is for sellers to use one type of plastic per item which then has a better chance of being recycled. Examples, ready meals - PET tray or multilayer polyolefin with barrier layer and LLDPE film  or Fizzy drinks bottles - PET bottle with PP (polypropylene) top with HDPE (high density Polyethylene) insert. Separating PP from PE  is perhaps the most difficult separation and although there are technologies coming through to solve this problem, I think it is important the big players like Unilever etc get their act together and produce items for sale that contain only one type of plastic.

.......end of rant.

57 minutes ago, carlt said:

When I had my lifeboat the nearby posh marina lifted their boats out and shrink wrapped them for the winter.

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

This type of waste plastic is usually recycled very well. The plastic LLDPE (linear low density Polyethylene) will be collected by one of the waste management companies and sold to someone like BPI who will process it into black rubbish sacks or other recycled plastic items. Single type of plastic in reasonable quantities so not too difficult find a recyle route.

Edited by Dr Bob

28 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The biggest problem with plastic recycling is that the manufacturers mix plastics for their packaging and as separating plastics is not easy, you end up with bales of mixed plastic that cannot be separated. In the past this was land filled - very expensive now - or sent to China - not allowed now. The key to solving the pastic waste problem is for sellers to use one type of plastic per item which then has a better chance of being recycled. Examples, ready meals - PET tray or multilayer polyolefin with barrier layer and LLDPE film  or Fizzy drinks bottles - PET bottle with PP (polypropylene) top with HDPE (high density Polyethylene) insert. Separating PP from PE  is perhaps the most difficult separation and although there are technologies coming through to solve this problem, I think it is important the big players like Unilever etc get their act together and produce items for sale that contain only one type of plastic.

.......end of rant.

maybe if enough research was done manufacturers could invent a " Glass " bottle? Probably be good for storing such as the gallons of water most people seem to want to pay for today instead of the stuff out of the tap, after all many seem to sell beer in them? Perhaps they could even be recycled and say when a delivery wagon brought full ones to the retailers they could take the used ones away to reuse or recycle? just a thought but I don't suppose it would make sense because the delivery wagon returns empty on home run and then a totally different wagon with recycling printed on the side can use even more diesel to go collect stuff, ahh now I see........Progress innitt.

1 hour ago, carlt said:

Many airports across the world offer clingfilm wrapping of luggage prior to checkin.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

There was I, digging this 'ole, 'ole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was...

That wasnt lonny donnigan.  Who was it ?  Go on, give your age away again !   Was it the same geezer who sang " Right said Fred " ?

1 minute ago, Irob said:

That wasnt lonny donnigan.  Who was it ?  Go on, give your age away again !   Was it the same geezer who sang " Right said Fred " ?

It was the same geezer, Bernard Cribbins. Easily confused because both sang with a London accent and worked in the same genre. Lonnie Donnegan did "My old man's a dustman"; I see that he was born in Scotland but grew up in the East End. Whereas Wikipedia says Bernard Cribbins is from Oldham, so I find his London accent quite impressive, most northerners can't get it right.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Have you tried looking for it? (I'm not having a go at you!)

I use a samsung tablet. The pop up keyboard on the screen has a , on the alphabet keyboard. To select a '  i have to change to the symbol keyboard especially. It spoils my rythmn.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

maybe if enough research was done manufacturers could invent a " Glass " bottle? Probably be good for storing such as the gallons of water most people seem to want to pay for today instead of the stuff out of the tap, after all many seem to sell beer in them? Perhaps they could even be recycled and say when a delivery wagon brought full ones to the retailers they could take the used ones away to reuse or recycle? just a thought but I don't suppose it would make sense because the delivery wagon returns empty on home run and then a totally different wagon with recycling printed on the side can use even more diesel to go collect stuff, ahh now I see........Progress innitt.

Glass bottles/glasses are better from an environmental point of view, but too often used as weapons. That is one reason why plastic vessels became popular in some areas (other reasons are available.)

I was reading recently about a geezer in Cumrbria who was into developing plastic roads, after seeing them in a third world country. Seems that the recycled plastic is made into granules and mixed into bitumen.

Edited by Guest

Sorry but I agree with the OP,  I too am p!seed off with n@bbers dumping crap on the tow path and making it hard to walk past.

It's only the 1% that do it but when they do it they do take the piff.

I feel like a tramp when moor next to them.

(Weird thing is their normally really easy to talk too and quite nice) lol

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

and your spelling, apparently!

But as the writer isn't it your job to make the reader's task as easy as possible, not yours?

Why are you so frigging picky about me ?   Havent you got anything better to discuss or complain about ?  Do I upset you personally in anyway ?  I have a tiny touch sensitive screen and failing eyesight. Would you like to ban me from participating because i,m not up to your exacting standards?   Jeez theres some snobs on here arnt there ?

1 hour ago, brassedoff said:

Sorry but I agree with the OP,  I too am p!seed off with n@bbers dumping crap on the tow path and making it hard to walk past.

It's only the 1% that do it but when they do it they do take the piff.

I feel like a tramp when moor next to them.

(Weird thing is their normally really easy to talk too and quite nice) lol

Its better than living in a house with horrible heighbours, at least boaters can cast off and move along.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, catweasel said:

Glass bottles/glasses are better from an environmental point of view, but too often used as weapons. That is one reason why plastic vessels became popular in some areas (other reasons are available.)

I was reading recently about a geezer in Cumrbria who was into developing plastic roads, after seeing them in a third world country. Seems that the recycled plastic is made into granules and mixed into bitumen.

Its an idea of mine too for my 2nd home in indonesia, drowning in plastic waste. Shred or pulverise plastics and mix it into either tarmac or low grade concrete construction. Polystyrene foam can be broken up and mixed into low grade building bricks, reduces weight and improves insulation. I,ve an idea plastic bottles n bags can be heat pressed together to form translucent sheeting for roofing in 3rd world environs. Where theres a will theres a way !

On 04/02/2018 at 09:34, markeymark said:

Well said, its probably a minority who dump rubbish. Having said that I notice very little if any recycling facilities on the cut and so all the rubbish goes in the same place. I think that Recycling is a bit of a scam...its market driven and not the solution but better than nothing. Still, I noticed so much waste IN the cut when I was out and about last year, and spent too much time sorting out my prop with all those plastics wrapped around it.

In a market economy recycling has to be market-driven. If there is nobody willing to buy the recycled material and turn it into a new product then there is absolutely no point in recycling it. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that recycling is not the solution? Solution to what? I think we're in danger of getting confused between waste management and litter. Recycling is certainly not the solution to littering - ultimately that can only be solved by litterers themselves. But recycling was never meant to be "the solution" to waste management. It's simply one part of a wider waste management strategy. 

Edited by blackrose

On 04/02/2018 at 11:00, LadyG said:

I don't see why the CRT spend £10M on cutting verges etc but almost nothing on litter removal, is this not part of their remit?

As to grass cutting, well is that essential, or even good for the wildlife? Relying on volunteers for litterpicking [which is not free anyway] is wrong, they should be used for "extras" not the basics.

Does the CRT have a reporting system [easy to access and reactive] if not, they are obviously not wanting to accept their responsibilities, whch is the nature of most businesses these days.

Try Twitter crtcontactus. Not always the most reactive but better than nothing.

On 04/02/2018 at 14:43, Alan de Enfield said:

40 per-cent of litter bins could be removed from along the River Lea in a bid to prevent fly-tipping and “mistreatment”

The Trust, which manages 80 per-cent of waterways including the River Lea which passes through Hackney, plans to remove 40 per-cent of litter bins from towpaths nationally.

In a recent meeting between London National Bargee Travellers Association (LNBTA) and CRT, Sam Thomas, CRT’s London Customer Operations Manager said: “there is equal evidence for and against having less bins”.

Bin and gone: some trash cans have already been removed from Hackney

CRT plans to keep the bins in storage and only reinstate them if litter continues to be a problem.

In response to the announcement, Marcus Trower, Deputy Chair of the LNBTA said: “When CRT told us about their plans to take away 40 per-cent of bins to reduce litter, I thought they were joking.”

When challenged by the anti-litter campaign group, Keep Britain Tidy, CRT blamed the ‘mistreatment’ of bins as a justifiable reason to remove them.

CRT said: “In London, a number of litter bins along the towpath were being mistreated and were being used by people to fly tip…this means the bins in question were overflowing.

“People walking along the towpath will have to carry their litter a little further to put it in a bin, or maybe even take it home.”

https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2017/06/20/river-lea-litter-fewer-bins-concern-canal-trust/

It seems to have worked quite well. Was having a chat with a hackney marshes guy the other day and he said they'd been doing the same.

The problem is that boaters fill them with household rubbish, then others put bags of rubbish next to the bins and these get pulled apart by foxes.

N5zDpQaqsyM0lfv2WeTE2LP1XUzuOGhaC944qEPO

4yRYiFbLIG8DEKj2bsENJArNzO7HwGN2KKjHpkXF

Another frequent type of rubbish I come across is from the 'gardening' boater

cRu9FCQyCcoaccZYRpvfqulaoOXYpIC0FD1TyZj0

And just gotten from West ham stadium, by the train line there are the exhibitionists

LWaGfToANAjSWPTgmTawpj6XenXop1U4tUey33hY

(Just up from this there's a dumped toilet cassette, what's up with this, it's not uncommon to see abandoned ones, bit I'd have thought these were fairly necessary components?)

IMG_20180205_085011.jpg

IMG_20171218_084052.jpg

IMG_20171218_082327.jpg