Cordless vacuum cleaner

Ratkatcher

Featured Posts

I recently bought a 'stick' vacuum cleaner for the boat, car, lazy days...

Light, good suction, reasonable battery life, not expensive.

Downside is only 'mains' charger - but as it is only around 6 watts it is fine with my cigar plug inverter.  Only £39.99 from ebuyer (used to be just computer components but have expanded into other lines)

Link here: https://www.ebuyer.com/819853-zanussi-zan2951-li-ion-2-in-1-stick-cordless-vacuum-cleaner-zan2951

I have no connection with ebuyer other than being a customer of thiers for years...

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Very nice  - but with NiMH batteries and a charge time of 16 hours it would be a pain for me on the boat.  The Zanussi one is 4 hours from flat and Lithium ion battery.

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

I’ve got the V6. One day I like a V8!,

Lovely but not at that price :o

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Ditto... but when Currys tell me that the V8 with £140 off is cheap at £350, it wont be happening any time soon :(

7 hours ago, Ratkatcher said:

Very nice  - but with NiMH batteries and a charge time of 16 hours it would be a pain for me on the boat.  The Zanussi one is 4 hours from flat and Lithium ion battery.

Lovely but not at that price :o

Ah but what about the V7  I/2 more time with battery life 

seems to be a early v8, looks like it even the main casing is the same as the V8

dyson main page,  dyson eBay selling them for £195 factory refurbished 12 months warrentee

seems a good deal to me

col

Seems to be a bargain

1A148549-3C2A-4D47-B8E1-50C2806895D7.png

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Never believe anyone who tells you that size doesn’t matter. I was told that once and all my wallpaper fell off. 

When I was younger ( before we got into using Anaglypta....spelling?) we used to like Novamura where you pasted the wall not the paper. Siiimple.

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Never believe anyone who tells you that size doesn’t matter. I was told that once and all my wallpaper fell off. 

Did you use a Dyson to pick it up .........there back on topic!

We recently swapped out our conventional vac for a V6. It’s fantastic, and so good we bought another one for the house, as an addition to the normal upright vac. It gets up more stuff than the upright! The V8 is very expensive but the V6 can be had for around £180.

We did a little non-scientific test with some friends who had a V6. We brought our G-Tech round to theirs and after they’d vacuumed the carpet with the V6 we went over it with the G-Tech. We filled the G-Tech container with dust and fluff left behind by the Dyson. 

They kept the V6 for convenience but went out and bought themselves a G-Tech. 

I don’t think it would be as convenient on a boat though. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

We did a little non-scientific test with some friends who had a V6. We brought our G-Tech round to theirs and after they’d vacuumed the carpet with the V6 we went over it with the G-Tech. We filled the G-Tech container with dust and fluff left behind by the Dyson. 

They kept the V6 for convenience but went out and bought themselves a G-Tech. 

I don’t think it would be as convenient on a boat though. 

We owned two dysons, both crap. We always buy Henry or Hetti  and they  are robust, do a good job and half at least the price of todays " latest fad " models.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We owned two dysons, both crap. We always buy Henry or Hetti  and they  are robust, do a good job and half at least the price of todays " latest fad " models.

I bought a few Henry’s for tenants, and used to have one for the office. I found the cylinder was OK, but the connecting tube and attachment are really awkward to store and cart about. How do you deal with them on a boat?

ive got a Dyson V6 and a Dyson upright where the handle slides into the body. Both work great on the boat, and both easy to store.

I recently was asked to look at a fairly ancient Dyson upright. The daughter thought she might have got Xmas tree needles stuck it its guts.  On other vacuums this would be an easy job. Usually take the beater bar out to free the belt, turn it over and undo six or so screws, lift the main body cover off and you can see the brushes, commutator (although I suspect the Dyson digitals have neither), and the impeller.

Not with the Dyson. Down loaded instructions for getting at the motor say allow at least an hour. After 10 minutes work it said pull the beater bar housing off the machine, would it shift, would it blazes, and as an old plastic machine I dare not apply too much force. It also said pull an hose out of its gasket, the gasket pulled out stuck the the hose and there was no way I could get enough access to get it back in.

I had noticed the filter was packed full of black carbon like dust so suspected very badly worn brushes and possible a dropped bar in the commutator so daughter said tip it.

My reaction is avoid Dyson like the plague if you want to keep it running and service it yourself. Nasty easy to assemble on the line and stuff the eventual owner type machine.

15 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I bought a few Henry’s for tenants, and used to have one for the office. I found the cylinder was OK, but the connecting tube and attachment are really awkward to store and cart about. How do you deal with them on a boat?

ive got a Dyson V6 and a Dyson upright where the handle slides into the body. Both work great on the boat, and both easy to store.

Yes the plastic hose is quite cumbersome. We keep the tube coiled in a shopping bag with the attachments in a kitchen cupboard with the cylinder thingy. We have huge amounts of storage on this purpose build liveaboard, in fact we have another wickes wet vac in a separate cupboard and  I even took one cupboard out!! We used these for many years in pubs and cafes and b and bs and for the money they are unbeatable. The dyson build quality was horrendous and very flimsy but the prices are not so flimsy!! 

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes the plastic hose is quite cumbersome. We keep the tube coiled in a shopping bag with the attachments in a kitchen cupboard with the cylinder thingy. We have huge amounts of storage on this purpose build liveaboard, in fact we have another wickes wet vac in a separate cupboard and  I even took one cupboard out!! We used these for many years in pubs and cafes and b and bs and for the money they are unbeatable. The dyson build quality was horrendous and very flimsy but the prices are not so flimsy!! 

Horses for courses then :) Dyson fulfils a number of needs that lots of people are prepared to pay a price for, (and lots arent).

Having never paid more for a vacuum cleaner than about £100, (for a Henry), I couldn't believe it when I first paid a bit over £200 for a Dyson but, given that I can afford it, the change in the ease of using it, and subsequent models, is something that I wouldn't want to lose by buying something cheaper. I would never vaccuum if I had a Henry stored on our boat....

13 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Horses for courses then :) Dyson fulfils a number of needs that lots of people are prepared to pay a price for, (and lots arent).

Having never paid more for a vacuum cleaner than about £100, (for a Henry), I couldn't believe it when I first paid a bit over £200 for a Dyson but, given that I can afford it, the change in the ease of using it, and subsequent models, is something that I wouldn't want to lose by buying something cheaper. I would never vaccuum if I had a Henry stored on our boat....

They must be better than they were? We ran the pub directly opposite the Dyson factory gates in Malmesbury a few years back and the manageing director and lots of the staff were regulars. The director gave us one of the uprights and one of the small jobbies free gratis so obviously we used them..............but not for long they simply didn't stand up to the job. Incidentaly the biggest department at the factory in those days was customer service answering the thousands of complaint calls. Ill stick with my Hetti as storage simply isn't a problem anyway.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

They must be better than they were? We ran the pub directly opposite the Dyson factory gates in Malmesbury a few years back and the manageing director and lots of the staff were regulars. The director gave us one of the uprights and one of the small jobbies free gratis so obviously we used them..............but not for long they simply didn't stand up to the job. Incidentaly the biggest department at the factory in those days was customer service answering the thousands of complaint calls. Ill stick with my Hetti as storage simply isn't a problem anyway.

They will almost certainly be better than they were, and most of us don't use them in the commercial environment, so they wont get the hammering, although there are still lots of home users that comment on the flimsiness and quality, (compared to a miele or similar).

On Tonys point about the ease of taking them apart to fix them... I've always found they come apart enough for my level of DIY maintenance and fixing, but I can imaging that they are hard to get into the depths. Having said that, my car and boat are built like that... a production line kind of thing where one thing goes on top of another in several layers, with no thought given to how to get at the the stuff that's buried under the top layers - very irritating when you want to avoid professional labour costs, and some level of destruction.

The motor burned out on our Dyson upright at about 2 years old. What a heap of junk.

Quite like our Vax cylinder cleaner and a rechargeable Hoover. Both at a fraction of the price of a Dyson.