1st boat hire holiday this summer,

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am just at the starting stage of arranging my first narrow boat holiday and would like some advice,

Firstly which boat hire company’s would be recommended (or avoided) by form members?

Preferred dates due to University holidays starting 1st September for a two week holiday

My preferred location would be rural countryside with moderate to low number of locks accessible by trains from London. Apart from this I am open to suggestions of best routs.  

We are a family of 7, consisting of 3 generations and all novices apart from some sailing experience for myself.  

Also I note that Viking Boats has the same e mail and brochure as ABC boats, is this the same company?

I these are very general questions but any pointers would be appreciated.

Best Regards Mick

24 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Hi,

I am just at the starting stage of arranging my first narrow boat holiday and would like some advice,

Firstly which boat hire company’s would be recommended (or avoided) by form members?

Preferred dates due to University holidays starting 1st September for a two week holiday

My preferred location would be rural countryside with moderate to low number of locks accessible by trains from London. Apart from this I am open to suggestions of best routs.  

We are a family of 7, consisting of 3 generations and all novices apart from some sailing experience for myself.  

Also I note that Viking Boats has the same e mail and brochure as ABC boats, is this the same company?

I these are very general questions but any pointers would be appreciated.

Best Regards Mick

Viking are part of the ABC group. The A in ABC being Alvechurch where they originated and still have a large hire base adjacent to a railway station. Viking hire bases at Worcester and Rugby offer both ABC and Viking boats and are both accessible from railway stations. The ABC boats are better appointed and are accordingly a bit more expensive. I have hired both on numerous occasions.

Overall your requirements look well suited to Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Heyford. I can't recommend them as have never hired there but I think others here would. You have all of the Oxford canal available from there and over two weeks could go further depending on how much time you wish to cruise each day.

The classic rings all require some intensive lock working at some point but over two weeks that shouldn't be a deterrent. You will soon get the hang of them.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Good call from the Cap'n: Oxfordshire Narrowboats are literally across the road from a railway station - Heyford (trains from London Paddington or London Marylebone, though each journey involves one change). I have not hired from them either, but they look well turned out and they do have some long boats which could be suitable for your size of party.

Edited by Athy

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Good call from the Cap'n: Oxfordshire Narrowboats are literally across the road from a railway station. I have not hired from them either, but they look well turned out and they do have some long boats which could be suitable for your size of party.

And probably a good call to prevent the rail fares becoming more expensive than the boat hire.

What's the train service like for Lower Heyford, the last time I looked it was less than one an hour and if travelling from London may well involve one or more changes. I suspect most hires would be easier by taxi from the relevant train station. Just asking because otherwise it seem like a good call apart from lugging luggage over the bridge

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What's the train service like for Lower Heyford, the last time I looked it was less than one an hour and if travelling from London may well involve one or more changes. I suspect most hires would be easier by taxi from the relevant train station. Just asking because otherwise it seem like a good call apart from lugging luggage over the bridge

It's a bit sporadic and involves at least one change (Oxford) off-peak. I can only think of there and Alvechurch where you absolutely would walk.

JP

49 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I did mention that a change of train - at Didcot or Banbury - was needed. The service is quite reasonable for a cross-country line, about ten trains a day; it is not beyond the wit of man (or of seven people) to get there at the right time to catch one! It's quite quick - about an hour and a half from London including the change.

I checked ONB's web site and they do indeed offer a variety of boats for seven or more people, with a choice of all-double-berth or doubles/singles combinations. The route is largely rural going Northwards, you have larger towns at Banbury and Rugby, and a marina with boats for sale at Braunston. There are locks in moderation - which, with so many helping hands on baord, you will get through in next to no time.

Edited by Athy

I don't always 'get it' when frequency is mentioned regarding trains etc. Surely if you are on a train that is once a hour it doesn't matter the time of the train in a hours time. Just saying.

Anyway, Oxfordshire Narrowboats would be my preference in this instance. As Athy has said, well turned out boats and the Oxford is 'nice'. 

Just now, Nightwatch said:

I don't always 'get it' when frequency is mentioned regarding trains etc. Surely if you are on a train that is once a hour it doesn't matter the time of the train in a hours time. Just saying.

Anyway, Oxfordshire Narrowboats would be my preference in this instance. As Athy has said, well turned out boats and the Oxford is 'nice'. 

Well, if there's only one train a day and you miss it, you are in an unfortunate creek-no-paddle situation. If there's another one in an hour or so, you aren't.

Thank you for all the comments and advice, I am narrowing my options and have come up with the following conclusions;

My intention is to visit some boat sales yards on the trip so by hiring a boat around the Braunston area I would be able to comfortably navigate down to as far as Weedon to visit both Rugby and Whilton boat sales yards  and then up past Norton to ABNB boat yard. From here I could backtrack to Braunston and up beyond Fradley To Glascot Boat yard before my return journey again to Braunston.

From the information available on the internet I have calculated that this trip would be easy to complete within a fortnight consisting of approximately 115 miles with 74 locks with a couple of days to spare.

Having only calculated this on paper can the members with actual experience tell me if this is correct and if I have chosen a reasonable route. Also are there any more reputable boat yards around these areas or other worthwhile attractions.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Mick  

4 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Also are there any more reputable boat yards around these areas .

Cheers Mick  

Your choice of words will, I am sure, raise a smile amongst some members. It could be taken as "Boatyards which are more reputable than the ones I've mentioned", as not all the ones on your list are considered reputable by all who have had dealings with them.

ABNB I can recommend from personal experience. It is worth noting that Rugby Boats are no longer in Rugby.

Edited by Athy

24 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Thank you for all the comments and advice, I am narrowing my options and have come up with the following conclusions;

My intention is to visit some boat sales yards on the trip so by hiring a boat around the Braunston area I would be able to comfortably navigate down to as far as Weedon to visit both Rugby and Whilton boat sales yards  and then up past Norton to ABNB boat yard. From here I could backtrack to Braunston and up beyond Fradley To Glascot Boat yard before my return journey again to Braunston.

From the information available on the internet I have calculated that this trip would be easy to complete within a fortnight consisting of approximately 115 miles with 74 locks with a couple of days to spare.

Having only calculated this on paper can the members with actual experience tell me if this is correct and if I have chosen a reasonable route. Also are there any more reputable boat yards around these areas or other worthwhile attractions.

Cheers Mick  

Is it really worth going between these brokers by boat, it would be much simpler to just hire a car after your boat hire, and to plan the trip on the boat to give you the best trip.

30 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

I'm with John above on this. Enjoy your holiday, have fun whilst learning whether you like boating first and foremost. Then concentrate on judging what you like and don't like about your hire boat so that your initial list of preferences for your own boat is based on your experiences. If time and route permit, and as long as it doesn't interfere with the primary objectives, and also if the rest of the crew are up for it, then maybe have a nosey at any brokers you pass. Get maximum benefit and experience from the holiday and the cruise itself - the brokers will still be there afterwards (well, most of them anyway!). What nicer weekend later on than booking into a nice country pub with the missus to enjoy the canals again whilst you go poking around in boatyards?

John and Mr. Dog make good points - especially as, though they may seem distant from each other by water, most of the major brokerages are in the Midlands and not far away from each other by road.

I will not be actually buying a boat for another year or so, currently just getting a feel for what is available while enjoying a cruise at the same time. I am assuming that the areas where the boat yards are located also make for good cruising ground so might be an opportunity to get some inspiration while on the boat, serious boat hunting to follow later.

4 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

I will not be actually buying a boat for another year or so, currently just getting a feel for what is available while enjoying a cruise at the same time. I am assuming that the areas where the boat yards are located also make for good cruising ground so might be an opportunity to get some inspiration while on the boat, serious boat hunting to follow later.

To me even more reason not to use your holiday up on this, when you could probably visit them all in a day by car.  I would personally say there are better routes that the one dictated by visiting those brokers dictates, but of course that is all opinion.

I'm voting for Kate Boats at Warwick.  Right near a mainline train station.  Good choice of routes from there.  And IMO the nicest looking hire boats I've seen.

Oh and you'd be able to visit, Calcutt, Braunston, Crick, Whilton brokerages (and probably a few more I've forgotten).

Edited by Dave_P

1 minute ago, Dave_P said:

I'm voting for Kate Boats at Warwick.  Right near a mainline train station.  Good choice of routes from there.  And IMO the nicest looking hire boats I've seen.

He didn't want to do too many locks though!