Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thinking about it a bit more I suspect a Spaniel dog constantly being fed tip bits so that it wagged its tail would be just as effective, but I don't have a dog.  I would love to see a real test, like a sealed room with lots of temperature probes and a known heat source run with and without a fan with an observation window and infrared camera, but I don't expect that will ever happen. Just walking about in a boat causes the air to move around.

If you look back to post 73 you will see a link to a paper written by the makers of Ecofans and a couple of Profs from the University of Waterloo in Canada. There has been a lot of discussion on this paper on pages 4,5 and 6 of this thread. The main focus of the paper was on the fuel saving gained by using an Ecofan 800 but there are passing comments on the 'comfort factor'. No one has produced a paper to say the opposite. Here is the link again:

http://www.ecofan.ch/pdf/Studie_Energieeinsparung_Ecofan_komplett.pdf

You dont need much airflow to disrupt the 'no fan' airflow convection current. There was also a great comment by BSP that the smell of her essential oils could be smelt halfway down the boat much sooner when using the fan compared to when it was not in use. To me, that is the slam dunk that these fans are moving the air enough (but you dont need much movement to break the stratification in the 10-12ft near the stove - which is all they are doing). I reckon you need a good fan though. The Ecofans are good but I think those cheapo chinese copies (or Aldi ones) just dont work.

From what I read on here as well, the hotter you run your boat, the less you need a fan. Prime example Mrs melly running his at 27deg C. At that temp your feet are going to be plenty warm enough!:giggles:

As I said in a recent post, I was going to do a back to back test but it was too cold to have the fan off :)

The Ecofan may move some air but I contend that it moves very little air and for a very small distance.  The idea of testing the fan with scent/perfume is interesting and might be verifiable.  But a fart spreads throughout a room without fanning!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Some smells are gaseous - hydrogen sulphide is one.  And some are aerosols which are liquid so not particles really.  ( I'm on about true aerosols, not the spray from an @aerosol' can which is not an aerosol.

Edited by mross

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thinking about it a bit more I suspect a Spaniel dog constantly being fed tip bits so that it wagged its tail would be just as effective, but I don't have a dog.  I would love to see a real test, like a sealed room with lots of temperature probes and a known heat source run with and without a fan with an observation window and infrared camera, but I don't expect that will ever happen. Just walking about in a boat causes the air to move around.

I reckon a real test has been carried out by the makers of the Eco Fan. The reason why the results are not plastered by the same manufacturers all over tinternet is obvious.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I reckon a real test has been carried out by the makers of the Eco Fan. The reason why the results are not plastered by the same manufacturers all over tinternet is obvious.

It is indeed - the results sheets keep blowing away! :icecream:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I reckon our cats are more effective than an ecofan. 

They sit by fire til boiling hot, then go down the other end of the boat and shit on the floor, thus distributing the heat

IMG_20171201_091740488.jpg

Yes, cats can be very anti-social at times :giggles:

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The stuff that comes out of an aerosol, technically, is ...  an aerosol!

To be fair, my comment was a tongue in cheek response to a post about a fart rather than any other smell source.  Had I ensured that the various different permutations of how smells are transmitted were all covered in depth, the quip might have been lost in the details! :P

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The stuff that comes out of an aerosol, technically, is ...  an aerosol!

No, it isn't.  The dropets from an "aerosol" spray are too large to form an aerosol.  but I suppose the term has been misused for so long that its meaning is changing.  But you did specify 'technically' and technically it is defined as a colloidal suspension in gas.  Fog is a good example.