Mabel and Forget me Not

PLW

Featured Posts

Hi there, I was cruising past the sad remains of the above pair the other day near Shrewley and there was a gent 'aboard' who stated that he was going to try to get the water out. Was that anyone on here?

Regards

Hi there, I was cruising past the sad remains of the above pair the other day near Shrewley and there was a gent 'aboard' who stated that he was going to try to get the water out. Was that anyone on here?

Regards

Saw a photo somewhere with him bucketing it out with the gunwale still under

Not sure are they still advertised? Water above the gunwales dosnt sound a good chance with just a bucket. Might be current owners trying to raise them for a potential buyer to go look as i know this was going to be arranged before i went as they wanted a few days notice so they had chance to make sure they were accessible (i saw them sunk and didnt arrange a view)

If they have sold i hope they get put into good use and go to a good home! But i really hope the buyer didnt give more that £1 for them as they will need every 1p they have. (Please have sold to a good owner)

The last add i saw they had added some new pic of her just after docking but reasont pics show fmn very bent in the middle

Yes i did contact again to ask about latest condition but couldnt brink myself to make a £1 offer as i didnt want to insult her but at the same time there not even close to being worth 10k 1-2k would be pushing it as there both not far off total rebuilds

I did see they didnt sell but they werent relisted either for the last listing a week ago

Part of my issue is the pics shown are not an upto date pics of what they look like. And if the owners havent done this i cant decide what elts there not showing or telling and a 600 servay is pointless on these boats as you can tell just by a reasont photo uploaded on here its not going to pass or pass with little work

Edited by billybobbooth

Thats the ones (reasont photos on here)

A survey is just pointless. Clearly sat on the bottom in july. I hope they do go to a good home but i dont think the owners are anywhere near realistic anout what there worth. Its a shame

When you look at these pics in july then look at the reasont ebay listing

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/182228445171

The photos arnt even close.

Edited by billybobbooth

I would imagine they would require the same treatment and cradling that LUCY had when moved.

Are they in comparable condition, or should I say - state of decay?

FmK has been floating successfully in the last few years, so I wouldn't expect her to be much of a problem to sail away. I don't know about Mabel, Carlt says she is in reasonable order, he is closer to them than I am

Richard

• 3 months later...

The owner does not appear to understand how to sell boats. If she (I assume "Jan" is a she) wants to get rid of them quickly, some cosmetic smartening - refresh paintwork, knock bits of wood which are hanging off back into place, arrange cloths neatly - makes an impression on a buyer. The cabin of the motor does look as if it may have had recent attention, but why no paint? Is she helping herself?

It may be, of course, that she has a disability which prevents her from carrying out these tasks, if so, then obviously I withdraw these remarks.

some cosmetic smartening - refresh paintwork, knock bits of wood which are hanging off back into place, arrange cloths neatly - makes an impression on a buyer. The cabin of the motor does look as if it may have had recent attention, but why no paint?

None of the above is an effective way of selling these two boats or any wooden project.

There have been too many tarted up wooden knackers sold off to dreamers who cannot see beyond the fresh paint (I can give you a list starting with "Ian" and continuing for several pages) only to have dreams shattered and bank balances emptied before, like these two, being passed on to anyone willing to take the baton and run with it..

The best way of selling these two is pretty much how Jan has presented them (honestly and with no rose tint) but knocking £9,999 of the price.

Nobody is likely to spend £10k on a complete rebuild project when they are available elsewhere for nothing.

None of the above is an effective way of selling these two boats or any wooden project.

There have been too many tarted up wooden knackers sold off to dreamers who cannot see beyond the fresh paint.

Well hello, Mr. T!

Er, don't your two sentences quoted above contradict each other?

No.

I believe an effective way of selling something has to be above board and honest.

Slapping a bit of paint on a knackered old boat does not qualify.

That's an honest and moral way, indeed.

But your assertion that "there have been too many tarted up wooden knackers sold off" shows that cosmetic tidying is indeed effective because it often results in a sale.

That's an honest and moral way, indeed.

But your assertion that "there have been too many tarted up wooden knackers sold off" shows that cosmetic tidying is indeed effective because it often results in a sale.

It is an effective way of conning someone.

Being conned into buying something is not the same as being sold something honestly.

I sold Lucy for £1 knowing that any money I got for it would be money that could be spent on saving the boat.

With a bit of paint and a few tinplate patches I could have tarted her up and passed her on for a few grand as a floating home to another starry eyed mug.

Not an effective way of selling a knackered wooden boat.

Edited by carlt

Your action was laudable, but you are confusing "honest" and "effective". If I sell you a computer which appears to be in working order, then disappear hairy-arsed over the horizon waving a wad of cash while the computer breaks down an hour later, I have not been an honest salesman, because I've knowingly sold you a "pup", but I've been an effective one because I have separated you from your money, which is the ultimate aim of a salesmen.

(All characters are fictitious).

Your action was laudable, but you are confusing "honest" and "effective". If I sell you a computer which appears to be in working order, then disappear hairy-arsed over the horizon waving a wad of cash while the computer breaks down an hour later, I have not been an honest salesman, because I've knowingly sold you a "pup", but I've been an effective one because I have separated you from your money, which is the ultimate aim of a salesmen.

(All characters are fictitious).

We are only disagreeing on terminology (I regard the dishonest broker as a "thief" not a "salesman").

Edited by carlt

Carl is right on this. If anyone was in any way interested they would have come forward by now. The best way to conserve these craft is to record them as is detailing as much info as possible, then if no willing party is around a decision has to be made. Best salvage what is possible and burn the rest.

No way will anyone "pay" for these wrecks, Jan cannot be appreciating the situation correctly. A shame but they are dead as far as I can see.