Mabel and Forget me Not

PLW

Featured Posts

We are only disagreeing on terminology (I regard the dishonest broker as a "thief" not a "salesman").

Absolutely right.

Gosh, "thief" and "salesman" should surely never be seen in the same sentence. Oh, I don't know though...

Carl is right on this. If anyone was in any way interested they would have come forward by now. The best way to conserve these craft is to record them as is detailing as much info as possible, then if no willing party is around a decision has to be made. Best salvage what is possible and burn the rest.

No way will anyone "pay" for these wrecks, Jan cannot be appreciating the situation correctly. A shame but they are dead as far as I can see.

This is a cold and harsh assessment; regrettably, though, it may be a correct one.

Would there be a readier market for them if they were made of metal?

A shame but they are dead as far as I can see.

Having done work on both boats I would say that they are worth saving but not if someone has to make any initial investment that is not spent on the rebuild.

The Cook family have spent a lot of time and money on these boats but will never get that back, sadly.

Ironically when they got them nearly 20 years ago they were in much better shape cosmetically but in a far worse state structurally.

Ironically when they got them nearly 20 years ago they were in much better shape cosmetically but in a far worse state structurally.

That's encouraging. Surely their improved structural state should be a selling point for the right buyer?

I suppose that, as the "right buyer" is a boat-loving master carpenter who has just won on Ernie or the lottery, there are not many of him about.

That's encouraging. Surely their improved structural state should be a selling point for the right buyer?

Yes but that buyer will want to put his initial £10k investment into the hands of a timber merchant, not the previous owner's.

The economics of (knackered) wooden boat owning are...get the hull for a quid, spend £20k on wood, spikes, tar and oakum (or £40k on a boat builder) plus several years of your life and end up with a £15k boat....if you are lucky.

If you are less lucky then the economics switch to...get the hull for a quid, spend £20k on wood, spikes, tar and oakum (or £40k on a boat builder) plus several years of your life then unexpected health, family, money matters (or bastards with a lighter and a pile of WW magazines) screw everything up and you sell the hull for a quid.

Edited by carlt

Carl is right on this. If anyone was in any way interested they would have come forward by now. The best way to conserve these craft is to record them as is detailing as much info as possible, then if no willing party is around a decision has to be made. Best salvage what is possible and burn the rest.

No way will anyone "pay" for these wrecks, Jan cannot be appreciating the situation correctly. A shame but they are dead as far as I can see.

She had someone stood infront of her wanting the pair but was fixed in asking for too much for them. She was also fixed on the work that was done years ago rather than work done reasontly. She seams to value the items that go with the boats as very high value, e.g cabin internals and engines ect.

I can eventually see the pair getting sold stripped of every valuable part and scrapped. Once the price gets low enough.

10k will get them both water tight but not repaired. I could get them both in far better condition for 5k each but the boat that would be left would look nice for a few years but your bill after would soon realise what you were into. But a buyer who has a servey will soon walk away.

Edited by billybobbooth

After reading Carl and Billy's gloomily realistic posts, I'm amazed and thankful that ANY wooden working boats survive in decent condition. Perhaps charitable restoration is the only hope - as has happened, with (to my amateur eyes) spectacular success to 'Dane' for example.

Edited by Athy

Yes a charity needs forming. Then get members and try get the funds rolling in with incentives for donating...

This is not the way. No one will donate for it in private ownership and no proper planning. Even the crowd funding page is very lax on information.

After reading Carl and Billy's gloomily realistic posts, I'm amazed and thankful that ANY wooden working boats survive in decent condition. Perhaps charitable restoration is the only hope - as has happened, with (to my amateur eyes) spectacular success to 'Dane' for example.

Some boats are lucky some not. some owners buy them and just sit on them keeping them afloat but not doing any bit by bit repairs, these end up in rebuilds or a bad state.

Stour, m&f, beech, merck (not sure of spelling but both guccc boats at the port) dane (wever) just to name a few.

The others may end up at some point looking a bit ropey but still sound with good genral maintenance the majority is sound and still a good boat, tay, towy, dane (severner), gifford (i know was rebuilt but aftet has been looked after), james loader, dove. again just to name a few, they have all had major work but its the bit by bit work has kept them as a good sound boat.

Its the oooo needs 2-3k spending and getting it done to the oooo 2-3k it will last ooo its now 6kk cant afford that if i spend 1-2k will it hold a bit longer? Ah it now is 10k dam. And thats the big diffrence on a wooden boat.

I doubt Dane's restoration, (or indeed any other) would have occurred under any kind of charitable trust if someone were asked to pay a five figure sum for whatever they were starting off with.

I have often had "interesting" discussions with Carl about the viability of wooden boats in the past, but I suspect he is spot on that until the owner realises that they can only possibly saved if virtually gifted to someone able to deal with them, they are probably not going to survive.

Also, being harsh, I know, but who would choose to crowd fund an attempt to save them whilst they stay in their current ownership. Presumably a heap of money has already been poured into them over the years - why will another £10K achieve what clearly has not happened so far?

• Greenie 1

I doubt Dane's restoration, (or indeed any other) would have occurred under any kind of charitable trust if someone were asked to pay a five figure sum for whatever they were starting off with.

I have often had "interesting" discussions with Carl about the viability of wooden boats in the past, but I suspect he is spot on that until the owner realises that they can only possibly saved if virtually gifted to someone able to deal with them, they are probably not going to survive.

Also, being harsh, I know, but who would choose to crowd fund an attempt to save them whilst they stay in their current ownership. Presumably a heap of money has already been poured into them over the years - why will another £10K achieve what clearly has not happened so far?

I suspect that everyone with the desire plus the skills and/or money to restore a wooden narrow boat has already got one by now.

I suspect that everyone with the desire plus the skills and/or money to restore a wooden narrow boat has already got one by now.

..... and several people with the desire, but minus the skills and/or money to restore a wooden narrow boat have already got one by now(!)

Indeed but what choice do the owners have?

Walking away from a lost cause is a very difficult thing to do...My first post on this forum all those years ago was a question about what I should do about Lucy having had my circumstances change to the point where I knew I could not devote the time required to restore her.

Through no fault of their own the circumstances of the owners of M & FMN have changed so that they can no longer give them the attention they need and, like I did with Lucy, hung on to them for too long in the forlorn hope that something would happen.

I was lucky to find Pete who has the resources and skills to take Lucy off my hands and, one day, will rebuild her to her former glory but she was my burden for many years before Pete came along.

Edited by carlt

Yes a charity needs forming. Then get members and try get the funds rolling in with incentives for donating...

There is one. But I suspect they have their hands full already.

http://wcbs.org.uk/

Or for 50% more than the asking price for M and F, you could get a wooden motor which also needs work, but looks more the part.

490741_1.jpg?1476625218

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=490741

Or for 50% more than the asking price for M and F, you could get a wooden motor which also needs work, but looks more the part.

See my post on a bit of paint hiding a multitude of sins.

Personally, knowing the two boats, I'd be drawn to Mabel (but only just) but still wouldn't pay anywhere near the asking price for either.

Ian's value is in the JP2 sat in the engine room, sadly.

Does anyone know if Hardy found a new home?...Offered FTGH with a miles better hull than Mabel or Ian.

No idea what happened to her but here she is in her glory days at Maffers, 1961

attachicon.gifJeannie & Linda Neptune & Lucy 1961v2.jpeg

Thanks Ray, hadnt seen that one before. Last sighting known was in 1993 on the K&A the boat was described as in exceptional condition, she had a lot of work done between my ownership and then. Never been seen again to my knowledge.

There is one. But I suspect they have their hands full already.

http://wcbs.org.uk/

490741_1.jpg?1476625218

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=490741

Um needs a lot of work