DIY blacking locations on Gloucester-Sharpness?

Featured Posts

Hello Forum,

My boat needs re-blacking and, after seeing a couple of quotes, I'm considering doing it myself. I'm moored at Saul Junction Marina. Can anyone advise on the nearest location where I can do it myself please? The neighbouring boatyard, R.W. Davis & Sons, do not allow DIY blacking in their drydock. Many thanks for any help.

DSC01609.JPG

2 hours ago, Daltonia said:

Hello Forum,

My boat needs re-blacking and, after seeing a couple of quotes, I'm considering doing it myself. I'm moored at Saul Junction Marina. Can anyone advise on the nearest location where I can do it myself please? The neighbouring boatyard, R.W. Davis & Sons, do not allow DIY blacking in their drydock. Many thanks for any help.

DSC01609.JPG

Nice bit of lawn sneaking out the drain hole :cheers:

On a more serious note from memory A & D Marine Services was replaced by Gloucester Marine Services which according to their web site is no longer trading, and goes on to say that "Alistair Pearcy who some of you know as A & D Marine Services but is now trading on these premises as The Historic Hempsted Drydock Company Limited".  The web site - http://www.gloucestermarineservices.co.uk/  -  explains a bit more.  The 'explanation text' does not display on my phone screen and is partially obscured on a laptop browser. I highlighted what I could see then cut and paste into a text document to make it visible.  I will not repeat what is written as I have no idea if it is true.

You could try Sharpness Marina. When we moored there (2 years ago) they had a crane that lifted out onto the hardstanding on the corner just before the low level bridge. 01453 811476. That's different to Sharpness Shipyard which is down the far end of the docks, through the low level bridge.

Steve

I know some people go up to Droitwich Marina as there's hard-standing there.

But for those who don't want to do it (blacking) themselves, who would you consider the most reputable + reasonable value for money Boat Yard on this stretch out of the few options available?

3 hours ago, rustydiver said:

How about the boat cradle and tractor at the marina i haven't seen it move before.

That could be a very useful and lucrative service if they provided that service though not sure if they do.

Thanks for all of the replies. Here is a summary so far:

Sharpness Shipyard - will lift out onto hard-standing and allow DIY blacking. They haven't given me a price yet.

Hempsted (A&D) drydock - tried calling a couple of times with no answer yet

R.W. Davis & Sons - don't allow DIY blacking in their drydock

Sharpness Marina - tried calling a couple of times without success

Saul Marina - no hard-standing for DIY blacking.

Droitwich Marina - I can't get to it (10' widebeam)

18 hours ago, RichM said:

I know some people go up to Droitwich Marina as there's hard-standing there.

But for those who don't want to do it (blacking) themselves, who would you consider the most reputable + reasonable value for money Boat Yard on this stretch out of the few options available?

That could be a very useful and lucrative service if they provided that service though not sure if they do.

I have no experience with any, but here is the current pricing for R W DAVIS & SON LTD for WIDE FLAT BOTTOMED HOUSEBOATS (note, these prices exclude VAT).

DRYDOCKING (Includes undocking and 1 week in dock) £490.00

PRESSURE WASH HULL  £3.40 per ft                                                                                                                            

SUPPLY AND FIT 1.5kg MAGNESIUM ANODES (WELD ON TYPE) £50.00 each

APPLY   - 2 COATS HIGH BUILD BITUMASTIC £8.20 per ft

(Top Plank £1 per foot extra if required)

- 2 COATS EPOXY TAR/COMASTIC £11.70 per ft

(Top Plank £1 per foot extra if required)

Pressure washing and coating prices include hull sides and bottom plates. Docking is normally the week from Monday to Monday except in the event of bank holiday.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

There is a widebeam dry dock at Stourport that can be accessed via the widebeam lock off the Severn

3566  Upton On Severn To Stourport 11th June 2014 .JPG

I hadn’t realised that the swing bridge from the widebeam basin to between the staircases would still be used, I stand corrected!