Anchors Aweigh!

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

The life jacket thing gives an interesting insight into human nature.  The risk is obvious, yet you rarely see anyone wearing one on the canals, occasionally on rivers you do, but they seem to be almost universally eschewed among narrowboaters.   What puzzles me even more is the number of times you will see a family group and all the kids under a certain age have life jackets or buoyancy aids but none of the adults.  I've seen many adults fall in the canal/river (I really should slow down I suppose..) but never any children. 

I'm sure it's because most boaters have some hangup about being seen wearing a life jacket, but almost every cyclist you see these days wears a helmet, even though they make you look a complete wally.

Regarding those who have hang-ups about wearing lifejackets, you could always follow  the compromise route, seen regularly, including on occasions by CRT staff/contractors, where you don the jacket but don't actually fasten it, thereby showing what a hairy ar*** mariner you really are! :boat:

Howard

Speaking of crotch straps... did anyone notice the protective gear that Prince Harry & Co wore when examining land mines? It kind of said "You can blow my legs off as long as you save my tackle"...

pri_35463065.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

1 hour ago, BargeeSpud said:

10' will be all its getting. End of.

So by the time it has passed over the side of the boat, dropped 2 feet into the water, you probably actually have 7 feet below the Water line.

Not much use in 8 feet of water.

The amount of chain used should be  minimum of 3 times the depth of water (hence NCs suggestion of 3 feet).

Will you be adding 100 feet of 15mm rope between chain and the boat? (If using rope then it should be 10x the water depth)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Speaking of crotch straps... did anyone notice the protective gear that Prince Harry & Co wore when examining land mines? It kind of said "You can blow my legs off as long as you save my tackle"...

looks like Harry needs a longer one, it's not covering much like that  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Know what I mean Arry.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Tied to a post yes.

Dangled over the bow of the boat, no.

- Where do you leave your dog while you nip to the shop?

- where would you put a yellow ribbon if no old oak tree was available?

- in an ideal world, where would you place firing squad victims?

- when you say I'll do anything for love but I won't do that, exactly what do you mean?

• Greenie 1