Slim wide beam / semi-widebeam - anyone have an 8 or 9ft wide boat?

DutchBargeFrancisca

Featured Posts

Hi there

Does anyone on this forum have an 8ft or 9ft wide boat? Several builders list them in their prices (Burscough, 8ft / Narrowboats ltd 9ft) but examples are hard to find. Its unusual I know as most people will go for more space (and want to get something tax exempt which this won't be), but I think my ideal boat is about 42ft x 8ft.

I've lived on a 40ft narrowboat full time for several years, so my main reason for expanding a bit is to get head height for my partner who is tall, and to be able to have the bed lengthways at the front to save space. I continuously cruise including the London area, so am bearing this is mind and not wanting to go too long. I went to view a 44ft by 10ft last weekend thinking it'd be perfect, but it still felt too wide to me!

Anyway, for all the reasons not to, do any of you have an 8ft or 9ft wide boat? I would love to hear how thats working for you, or possible see some pictures to help me think about layout, plus recommendations of builders who did this well.

Thanks

Maddie

How tall is your partner? Surely it's possible to get a full length narrowboat with decent headroom? Then you could just put in any length of bed you wanted to lengthways.

Collingwood are churning out 'slim' widebeams that are getting dropped in at Wincham Wharf on the T&M and are designed to go through Dutton stop lock & Preston Brook tunnel. I think they're about 9ft, but I've heard a hell if a lot of owners complaining about ongoing problems with them after delivery.

"Prices for other size Narrowboat's and Wide beam's are available on request"

Apparently they will build any shape and size you want.

http://www.sherwoodboats.co.uk/prices.php

I think that in the past you have been 'unlucky' with your choice of NB (or had very old ones).

I am just over 6 foot and have found that most 'modern' NBs are well over 6 foot headroom. My Son is 6' 3" and he has been able to use the boat without issue.

Yes do, because my Narrowboat boat also has plenty of headroom. Obviously a cross bed is quite another issue in a Narrowboat.

We had a 'cross-bed' in the last NB, as long as the bed height is below the gunnels it is possible to get a '6-foot bed' across the boat. As previously mentioned I am a 'good' 6 foot and I only needed to lie at a very slight angle to be very comfortable.

Having the cross bed allowed us to have a full 'King Size' width bed and still have room for an additional full height 'wardrobe' that could store 2 of Folding bikes. Where previously it had been a simple 4 foot wide lengthwise bed.

The sprung mattress was specially manufactured and split 4-foot and 2-foot, with the narrower half storing on top of the bottom during the day. It took less than 1 minute to pull out the bed base (on runners) pull down the mattress and straighten the quilt.

Our boat is 8'2" wide. It doesn't cause us a problem because the waterways where we are based are on the whole wide waterways designed for larger boats.

ETA: Our bed is across the boat so is absolutely huge lengthways. We tend to have a couple of bags of clothes at the end of it when we go on holiday and we don't even touch them with our feet!

Edited by Naughty Cal

There was a 'slim' 9ft boat at Crick last year. Can't remember the builder though.

I used to moor by a guy who's boat was around 35' long by 8' wide. He was new to boating and I pointed out to him how it restricted his cruising options. He said he wasn't planning to go too far so wasn't bothered. I still thought it was a pointless width until I went inside. That extra foot made a big difference. He had his lounge arranged in a way which would not be possible on a narrowboat. He had two small sofas, each backing onto a side wall and facing each other and it made a really socially space for entertaining. None of that "sitting in a corridor at the doctors" thing you get on narrowboats. So I'd say go for it but you might have a long search. When you find one, expect to get it for a bargain because nobody else will want it.

Yes, it may well turn out that a taller narrowboat is the best option, and I'll explore that too.

But I am tempted by that extra space, without having to go any longer than my current 40ft.

Interesting to hear of problems with the collongwood 9ft wides. Any idea what's wrong with them?

I have a Collingwood, not a 9ft wide, but a 10ft beam. I can't say I have had any big problems.

The delivery was a bit delayed, and some niggles and snags, that are getting fixed by Collingwood and the broker. I find that you need to keep on their case though, but I find being polite helps a great deal.

Seems to me to be the worst of both worlds, can't use the majority of narrow canals because it's too wide, and much less internal space than a 12 foot wide beam.

Majority? Are there narrow canals which will take an 8' beam? The Ashby I suppose but only if you never left it. Not sure about bridge widths there though.