Canal Life 2017

dmr

Featured Posts

Arrived in Devizes mid day hoping to pump out and spend a week or two here.

Its full! Mostly winter moorings, and these are a mixture of fat boats and "dumpers". I guess a winter mooring works out a bit cheaper than putting the boat in a marina. Lots of gaps of 30 to 40 foot between boats. Maybe this is just where boats have come and gone or maybe those paying for a winter mooring like to have a bit of space.

Pump out berth occupied by a very small plastic "homeless squat" boat with a human shaped figure asleep inside wrapped in a single blanket. Don't really fancy waking up a potentially hungover or mentally unstable individual at 1 pm so winded and moored up. Am inconveniencing but not blocking the winding hole, but am blocking the public slipway, however as this is currently used for storing shopping trolleys I reckon no boats will be needing it.

Will review the situation in the morning but will need to wind again and reverse back to the pump out. Need to wait till my wife gets back as can't easily reverse single handed here as its very shallow due to lack of dredging, so will need both a steerer and a long shafter on the front.

Have moored opposite winding hole but to minimise obstruction have nosed right up close to the Northwich Trader pair (motor and butty) so at least there's something very nice like to look at out of the front door.

..................Dave

I think its about time winter moorings were stopped.

Last winter I CCed all through and I was broadly prevented from using ANY of the decent moorings between Reading and Devizes because they'd all been sold as winter moorings and I had to use the muddy towpath the whole winter when I most needed proper VMs.

This year I took a WM at Kintbury but STILL there was no space there for me so I spent two months on the muddy towpath in the same place nearly, with CRT's blessing.

If there were no winter moorings us CCers would at least get a reasonable chance of a VM space in winter whereas now there is almost none on the K&A.

Its a tricky one but the concept of continuous cruising has changed over the last few years and whilst winter moorings used to offer a respite from long distance cruising they now offer more of a respite from enforcement for those who don't move much, or a cheaper mooring for those who prefer not to pay marina prices for boat storage.

I would like to see fewer winter mooring and have them only offered to genuine liveaboard CCers with priority to those who are old/not well or have children etc, but in these days of equality and a desire to challenge everything in court CaRT do rather their hands ties.

Another option would be to offer winter moorings on the 14 day moorings just outside of the popular VM spots so that genuine continuous cruisers could still pop into town to do some shopping and go to the pub etc.

The idea of the "winter roving mooring permit" was a good one and popular with boaters but I believe that the threat of a legal challenge saw the end of that.

...............Dave

I have to concur with the above comments. Living on the Kennet and Avon I like to keep moving and I don't want to stop on the VMs very much but in the winter when I need coal other heavy stuff etc it is a pain as they are not available. A couple or so spaces need to be kept free so that boats can stop for the necessities and then move on. The winter permits were popular but I think there was a potential issue with planning/poll tax but not sure.

Hi Dave welcome back to the K as A from a fat boat

Another option would be to offer winter moorings on the 14 day moorings just outside of the popular VM spots so that genuine continuous cruisers could still pop into town to do some shopping and go to the pub etc.

That idea is a good one. Keep the VMs in action all through winter when they are actually needed most, and excuse boaters from enforcement from the extremities of the VMs and outwards (in return for payment).

(Edit a stray worm.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Its full!

Lots of gaps of 30 to 40 foot between boats.

So which is it? It doesn't sound as if the problem is that all the available space has been given over to winter moorings; more like boaters have spread out and into space that was supposed to be kept free for visitors.

I find it odd that in some places there are long term moorings near to or right in the centre of the town but the visitor moorings are on the outskirts so you have a longer walk in. Not a problem most of the time but a pain in the arse if you just want to do some shopping. It's almost as if they don't want visitors to stop and spend.

I would have put them the other way around, the long term moorers would know what they are choosing to sign up for and the visitors would be encouraged to stop and visit.

• Greenie 1

I have to concur with the above comments. Living on the Kennet and Avon I like to keep moving and I don't want to stop on the VMs very much but in the winter when I need coal other heavy stuff etc it is a pain as they are not available. A couple or so spaces need to be kept free so that boats can stop for the necessities and then move on. The winter permits were popular but I think there was a potential issue with planning/poll tax but not sure.

Hi Dave welcome back to the K as A from a fat boat

I do of course exclude you from my general dislike of fat boats because you are boaters and you move! My concern is that so many fat boats are now built for people who want to live on the water but can't quite let go of the house concept, so end up moving as little as they can. Must confess they are lovely inside and we do get tempted, but can't work out how on earth you get through Birmingham. biggrin.png

The roving winter mooring was in effect over-riding the sacrosanct 14 day rule in exchange for money so may well have fallen if challenged in court, but I fail to see why winter moorings on VMs do not have the same issue. I think NBTA disliked the roving winter mooring because it was a stepping stone on the way to a general roving mooring permit which they very much dislike.

We are spending winter on the long pound as the coal boat delivers coal directly to the boat every month in these parts.

..................Dave

I think its about time winter moorings were stopped.

Last winter I CCed all through and I was broadly prevented from using ANY of the decent moorings between Reading and Devizes because they'd all been sold as winter moorings and I had to use the muddy towpath the whole winter when I most needed proper VMs.

This year I took a WM at Kintbury but STILL there was no space there for me so I spent two months on the muddy towpath in the same place nearly, with CRT's blessing.

If there were no winter moorings us CCers would at least get a reasonable chance of a VM space in winter whereas now there is almost none on the K&A.

I took a winter mooring at Kintbury about fifteen years ago, they fitted me in behind the locked gate on the offside if its still the same? I will be going ccing again before much longer and though I absolutely hate marinas I think I will go into one for dec/jan/feb as the wife laugh.png is getting older and coming a cropper is easier on mud and we dont bounce like we used to. sad.png

Be careful what you wish for -- one obvious solution is to require every boater to have a marina berth. Although it wouldn't bother me at all, I suspect it would be very unpopular with a large number of forum members.

Yes absolutely I agree. I bloomin hate the places with a passion but as we get more creaky I do think more of safety in inclement wevver. There is no way I would want to moor in one during finer wevver but its just easier for ( more mature ) aged peeps sometimes.

I do of course exclude you from my general dislike of fat boats because you are boaters and you move! My concern is that so many fat boats are now built for people who want to live on the water but can't quite let go of the house concept, so end up moving as little as they can. Must confess they are lovely inside and we do get tempted, but can't work out how on earth you get through Birmingham. :D

We are spending winter on the long pound as the coal boat delivers coal directly to the boat every month in these parts.

Ha ha no offence taken, she is affectionately known as the fat bottomed girl (the boat not me!) Yes Birmingham not accessible a lift out and onwards from there.

Ewh all that mud, we're heading for Guyers Lock Newbury, then back westwards, if you're going East I am sure we will cross paths.

I do of course exclude you from my general dislike of fat boats because you are boaters and you move! My concern is that so many fat boats are now built for people who want to live on the water but can't quite let go of the house concept, so end up moving as little as they can. Must confess they are lovely inside and we do get tempted, but can't work out how on earth you get through Birmingham. biggrin.png

Ha ha no offence taken, she is affectionately known as the fat bottomed girl (the boat not me!) Yes Birmingham not accessible a lift out and onwards from there.

Ewh all that mud, we're heading for Guyers Lock Newbury, then back westwards, if you're going East I am sure we will cross paths.

I would keep that quiet, just above Guyers is a very nice mooring and not used much at all, fairly easy walk into Newbury and really good dog walking along the river Kennet just a few yards away.

Will be heading East again early April but need to go further West first, hopefully to include a few days in Bristol.

...............Dave

Think it's people like me who CC but don't live aboard so 'dump' the boat for 2 weeks while at home.

Dumpers are now a real problem on the K&A occupying many of the best VMs and so making life difficult for the genuine CCers (and leisure boaters and hirers) who would appreciate the more convenient mooring. Dumpers really should be dumped on out of the way14 day moorings in my opinion (or even in a marina).

Just like CCers and CMers there are good dumpers and bad dumpers.

The Northwich Trader pair in front of me are "dumpers" in that they are CCers but not lived on, but they are very obviously making a long progressive journey along the K&A moving a little way every other weekend or so. This is fine, there is no rule or moral obligation for a CC boat to be a liveaboard.

Far more dumpers are just that, boats used very occasionally (or even not at all) that should really be kept in a marina but instead are "bridge hopped" between two or three convenient VM's.

...............Dave

Arrived in Devizes mid day hoping to pump out and spend a week or two here.

Its full! Mostly winter moorings, and these are a mixture of fat boats and "dumpers". I guess a winter mooring works out a bit cheaper than putting the boat in a marina. Lots of gaps of 30 to 40 foot between boats. Maybe this is just where boats have come and gone or maybe those paying for a winter mooring like to have a bit of space.

Pump out berth occupied by a very small plastic "homeless squat" boat with a human shaped figure asleep inside wrapped in a single blanket. Don't really fancy waking up a potentially hungover or mentally unstable individual at 1 pm so winded and moored up. Am inconveniencing but not blocking the winding hole, but am blocking the public slipway, however as this is currently used for storing shopping trolleys I reckon no boats will be needing it.

Will review the situation in the morning but will need to wind again and reverse back to the pump out. Need to wait till my wife gets back as can't easily reverse single handed here as its very shallow due to lack of dredging, so will need both a steerer and a long shafter on the front.

Have moored opposite winding hole but to minimise obstruction have nosed right up close to the Northwich Trader pair (motor and butty) so at least there's something very nice like to look at out of the front door.

..................Dave

There are public toilets opposite, so you can go on grid for a bit.

Or use the facilities at the British Lion.

Wake the sleepy guy up.

Check s/he aint dead.

Edited by Goliath

Dumpers are now a real problem on the K&A occupying many of the best VMs and so making life difficult for the genuine CCers (and leisure boaters and hirers) who would appreciate the more convenient mooring. Dumpers really should be dumped on out of the way14 day moorings in my opinion (or even in a marina).

Just like CCers and CMers there are good dumpers and bad dumpers.

The Northwich Trader pair in front of me are "dumpers" in that they are CCers but not lived on, but they are very obviously making a long progressive journey along the K&A moving a little way every other weekend or so. This is fine, there is no rule or moral obligation for a CC boat to be a liveaboard.

Far more dumpers are just that, boats used very occasionally (or even not at all) that should really be kept in a marina but instead are "bridge hopped" between two or three convenient VM's.

Totally agree - I only ever dump on the towpath and only use VMs when on board. It is frustrating to see empty boats - whatever the circumstances - on popular VMs.

There are public toilets opposite, so you can go on grid for a bit.

Or use the facilities at the British Lion.

Wake the sleepy guy up.

Check s/he aint dead.

It did just occur to me that he might be dead, but waking up a bloke sleeping off a hangover just to check that he isn't dead is a bit rude. Will check tomorrow. If he is dead then its not urgent.

Actually its quite tricky as maybe today he could just have been saved. Have seen a few blokes lying on the towpath totally comatose in the summers, did think one was possible dead/heart attack and went over to try to wake him but then spotted several empty bottles so decided he was just drunk.

Still have a few days of space left in the poo tank so no need real to go to pub, but will go anyway just to check the facilities.

British Lion still out of bounds as strictly no dogs but since you were here two more very good pubs have appeared.

...........Dave

Totally agree - I only ever dump on the towpath

So its you, I always thought it was the fishermen.

Please don't do that cus my dog likes to roll in it. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

...............Dave

I only ever dump on the towpath

Eww! Now that really is antisocial.

On a more serious note, we took a similar attitude when "dumping" our boat and always tried to leave it somewhere it wouldn't be in anyone's way for a week or two. And we didn't always leave it in the same few places either, although it was generally somewhere in West or North Yorkshire. As far as I'm concerned we were perfectly "genuine" CCers in spite of not living aboard.