Boating throw lines

Erie Canal

Featured Posts

One of the ones that comes in a bag would be my choice. I watched some training taking place at Hawne Basin, that kind was the only one that inexperienced people could get right most of the time

Richard

It could be the person throwing wouldn't know the correct way to throw a rope.

Yes, that's why I prefaced my statement with "If you know how to throw a rope..."

I managed 80' with a throw line in a bag, I couldn't match that with a coiled line, besides it would need to be coiled properly in the first place, too time consuming if it isn't.

Yes, the rope has to be coiled, just as a throw line has to be bagged. I've thrown ropes further that 80ft - it's all down to technique.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, that's why I prefaced my statement with "If you know how to throw a rope..."

Yes, the rope has to be coiled, just as a throw line has to be bagged. I've thrown ropes further that 80ft - it's all down to technique.

What don't you get?

Throw line in a bag needs less technique.

Edited by nb Innisfree

What don't you get?

Throw line in a bag needs less technique.

Bit like a bow thruster then? A girly rope?

Ok, if you don't know how to throw a rope then I concede a rope in a bag is better.

and a throw line is hanging on a hook ready for instant use, whereas a length of rope may need some finding and coiling suitable for throwing etc.

Not if it's prepared beforehand just like the throw line. Both would have to be in place beforehand for quick deployment. Ok it's more likely that your rope in bag would be ready, but someone still has to prepare it.

Edited by blackrose

This is a video of Norfolk Fire and Rescue training with throw lines in a mill race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pm8PwjoyfQ&feature=youtu.be

The benefit of using a throw bag is that, after use the line is simply stuffed back into the bag, ready for re-deployment. Less likely to encounter a tangle than with an incorrectly coiled 'bare' rope.

This is the make of bag they were using http://safequip.co.uk/product/safequip_rescue_throw_bag/

I bought one and have been pleased with it. Other makes are available. I have no connection with NFR or Safequip.

Edited by Paladine
  • Greenie 1

This is a video of Norfolk Fire and Rescue training with throw lines in a mill race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pm8PwjoyfQ&feature=youtu.be

The benefit of using a throw bag is that, after use the line is simply stuffed back into the bag, ready for re-deployment. Less likely to encounter a tangle than with an incorrectly coiled 'bare' rope.

This is the make of bag they were using http://safequip.co.uk/product/safequip_rescue_throw_bag/

I bought one and have been pleased with it. Other makes are available. I have no connection with NFR or Safequip.

When I was in the FS we used a waterproof bag, if the first throw failed to reach the casualty the line could be quickly pulled back in while piling it loosely on the ground, this left the bag full of water to give weight to it for a rapid second throw, could be repeated until a successful throw was achieved (or until the casualty drowned!) Edited by nb Innisfree

• 2 months later...

Your best bet is to get throwlines from a reputable canoeists' supplier - perhaps Palm or Susie - throwlines should be in a bag but float, with a line that floats, land highly visible, and not have a loop at the end held by the thrower