Batteries

Richard X

Featured Posts

Hi, I will be having:

12v Fridge and Freezer

55" TV

Kettle just in case I get visitors (I don't drink tea or coffee)

Standard single Neff oven

Washing machine

Tumble dryer (or Washer Dryer)

Microwave (maybe but I don't really use one)

Tumble dryer

LED lighting

Computer

And charging my phone up

I think that's it!

I will be on hook up but may decide to be a continuous cruiser or decide I can no longer afford the mooring fees wacko.png

Oh and I will be live aboard smile.png

No water pump ?

Hob ?

An electric Neff oven (single) uses 3.45Kw.

Cooking the 'Sunday Roast' for 2 hours will take approximately 700Ah from your batteries, to avoid going below 50% SoC you will need about 1500Ah of batteries - but - that's 15 batteries - now - how are you going to get them charged.

From the Neff Web site :

Performance/technical information -
  • 71 litre
  • Temperature range 40 °C - 275 °C
  • Length of mains cable: 120 cm
  • Total connected load electric: 3.45 KW
  • Appliance dimension (hxwxd): 595 mm x 596 mm x 548 mm
  • Niche dimension (hxwxd): 585 mm - 595 mm x 560 mm - 568 mm x 550 mm
  • Please reference the built-in dimensions provided in the installation drawing
  • Energy efficiency rating (acc. EU Nr. 65/2014):

Number of cavities: 1

Heat source: electrical

No water pump ?

Hob ?

An electric Neff oven (single) uses 3.45Kw.

Cooking the 'Sunday Roast' for 2 hours will take approximately 700Ah from your batteries, to avoid going below 50% SoC you will need about 1500Ah of batteries - but - that's 15 batteries - now - how are you going to get them charged.

From the Neff Web site :

Performance/technical information -
  • 71 litre
  • Temperature range 40 °C - 275 °C
  • Length of mains cable: 120 cm
  • Total connected load electric: 3.45 KW
  • Appliance dimension (hxwxd): 595 mm x 596 mm x 548 mm
  • Niche dimension (hxwxd): 585 mm - 595 mm x 560 mm - 568 mm x 550 mm
  • Please reference the built-in dimensions provided in the installation drawing
  • Energy efficiency rating (acc. EU Nr. 65/2014):

Number of cavities: 1

Heat source: electrical

Yes and water pump but gas hob.

So are the ovens on boats not your standard kitchen ones? They look the same.

Once the oven is up to temp the element will cycle on and off so the figure of 700Ah is excessive. But it will be too high to run from batteries. You will need a 300A alternator!

I would be shocked if the builder has not tried to put you off fitting an electric oven

Edited by mross

Hooray, hooray, hooray - I can justify (to myself at least) that my comments about what new boater expect was not way out. However, that's no disrespec' to Richard X - it's just the way things are.

A suggested setup would be:-

Cook on gas, it's not dangerous - if it's installed properly (and that's not difficult) and used sensibly.

If you want any form of washer - then you really need either a separate generator or a 5Kw travel power. As it's a new build I'd fit a cocooned generator in your cavernous engine bay. Others have and seem well pleased. An alternative is a Travel Power, but you have to run the main engine (no problem there, but some folks get bad vibes about running your main engine. I disagree, with caveats).

For the less greedy requirements (55" TV - are you out of your mind - a 32" is probably quite adequate), then you need a big battery bank and 24V system to give you longer lasting batteries and equipment.

SWMBO does the cooking, hates gas but will do so on the boat, will not allow me a microwave (just as well) and we use a cheap camping twin-tub when on holiday. This year she cooked a full traditional Christmas lunch, large turkey, starter, c-pud, tatties, sprouts and more for four people all on our small(er) domestic gas cooker with no complaints. So gas for cooking and coffee.

If you're going to be a liveaboard and want some creature comforts then get the power generation right as well as trimming back some of the domestic appliances so-

based on your specs:-

Cook on gas

Hot water and central heating Ebersplutter (etc)

Battery charging - separate alternator with 24v battery bank (can be cheaper than 12V high power ditto) fit 24v eber, water pumps etc.

Washer / tumble dryer etc - then TP or separate genny - your choice

Consider solar - remember that these only really contribute much in the summer

Bite the bullet - it all costs - get the heavy stuff planned in at least before you start (expensive to retrofit a TP and possibly a genny)

Of course you could do the hair shirt model.....

SWMBO has just proof read this post and laughed copiously - she knows I'm (we're) right.

Act in haste and repent at leisure....

I'm but a voice crying in the wilderness....

Edited by OldGoat
  • Greenie 1

I wouldn't have a electric oven even when using shore power. That oven is very close to using 16amp which you may be lucky to get at a marina with modern electric install. A lot of marinas are restricted and / or share with points with neighbours.

After saying that I'm having an electric oven with microwave , but it's mainly because I have a built in generator that can handle it and I rarely use the oven part.

Definitely ditch the kettle and go gas, and the TV, I find my 22" fine, but you could go 32" just check the power usage.

Washer, hook it up to the hot feed and make sure you have a tank of hot water before washing, I do this and run mine off a 850 watt invertor with the engine running no problem.

If your seriously planning on been off grid one day then plan for how you are going to generate the electric in winter. You may not need to install it now, but do plan it. I would recommend a built in deisel generator if you have the room. Also plan to have room for installing tall 2v traction batteries with easy access to the tops for when you are off grid.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

Looking at the list of appliances I would go bigger, at least four.

I would also go cheapo as Dave says, learn how to kill a set before learning how to look after one is a good tip.

Will you be fitting solar?

Yes I'll be fitting 4 or 6 solar panels when I have the funds which will be 18 months or so.

Hi, I will be having:

12v Fridge and Freezer

55" TV

Kettle just in case I get visitors (I don't drink tea or coffee)

Standard single Neff oven

Washing machine

Tumble dryer (or Washer Dryer)

Microwave (maybe but I don't really use one)

Tumble dryer

LED lighting

Computer

And charging my phone up

I think that's it!

I will be on hook up but may decide to be a continuous cruiser or decide I can no longer afford the mooring fees wacko.png

Oh and I will be live aboard smile.png

Thanks Dave that's useful, I may just go with what they're putting in and let them know I may add another so leave some room?

Thanks everyone! smile.png

Not sure what alternator but I'm having a Beta 75 engine

4 or 6 Solar panels will be fitted when I can afford but that might be 2 years away

I'd like a generator but again that might be 5 years away as my budget won't stretch that far.

You're kidding surely?

With that lot your builder should be recommending a nuclear reactor not three weedy leisure batteries!

• Greenie 1

We have 4 x 135Ah leusure batteries plus 400 W solar and 3kw inverter and no where near that many gadgets and I feel sometimes it is not enough so I think you need to have a big rethink and either down size the gadgets / appliances or massively up size your power generation and batteries , as said cocooned Gennie , many super large batteries and lots and lots of solar ( you have the roof space if you are having a buff built )