Stand Up Paddle Boarders on the Canal

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

It's OK if they pay the license fee as canoeists have to. I would expect them to keep out of the way since they are more manœuvrable.

"The Trust has a block licence agreement with British Canoeing (BC) which licenses all
individual BC members to use our waterways"

Edited by mross

The most stupid form of boating ever imagined - slow, wobbly, inefficient. The aquatic equivalent of riding a Penny Farthing bike ie: it can be done but why bother, better bikes have been invented.

One thing puzzles me. Why would stand up paddle boarders want to use a lock when they could carry the paddle board? The CaRT guidelines say they should kneel and hold onto something!

Lock CUT - the portages are all at the end of the lock cuts.

Surely it would be quicker to hand carry the board past each lock and paddle through the pounds? Can you explain?

On the Thames you are discouraged from using lock moorings to get canoes out/in to the water when passing a lock. Instead there are marked portage routes at many locks. Typically these start/end somewhere on the lock cut between the weir and the lock itself.

The reason I asked was because I came across a lady on one yesterday morning. I admired her spirit, as she certainly wasn't in the first flush of youth, and she was going at some pace. The problem was that initially I didn't see her behind me and, although I wasn't going too fast, I was certainly above tick over. Then, when she passed me, she turned round and went the other way, she did this about 4 times (obviously she had a measure) but it meant I had to keep a low speed as I didn't want to cause too much of a wake. The thing is she was 'tied' to the board and I thought if she, or anyone else, came off one it could cause a serious accident and, although it looked fun and she was obviously good (and fast) at it I think there are safer ways to exercise than this.

The reason I asked was because I came across a lady on one yesterday morning. I admired her spirit, as she certainly wasn't in the first flush of youth, and she was going at some pace. The problem was that initially I didn't see her behind me and, although I wasn't going too fast, I was certainly above tick over. Then, when she passed me, she turned round and went the other way, she did this about 4 times (obviously she had a measure) but it meant I had to keep a low speed as I didn't want to cause too much of a wake. The thing is she was 'tied' to the board and I thought if she, or anyone else, came off one it could cause a serious accident and, although it looked fun and she was obviously good (and fast) at it I think there are safer ways to exercise than this.

If she was as profficient as you say on the board then a bit of wash wouldn't have bothered her. We see them on a regular basis on the Fossdyke and the wash off the bigger boats doesn't bother them at all.

They tie themselves to the board so that if/when they do fall off the board doesn't bugger off. Much the same as surfers do with their boards.

Seen a few going over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, bloody mad if you ask me but I like the fact there are still mad buggers in the world, so good on em

I agree. Seen a few over the years and providing they don't put themselves or anybody else in a dangerous position. then indeed good on 'em. As kids we used to take to the canals in far more dangerous creations. The canals etc. are there for all to enjoy.

The thing is she was 'tied' to the board and I thought if she, or anyone else, came off one it could cause a serious accident

Falling off a board - or out of a canoe - is a standard expectation - definitely not an accident - just part of the routine experience for the paddler. Paddlers go out on the water fully prepared and accepting that they may swim. Self-rescue is a standard part of the paddler's skill-set.

The 'tie' is just a surf leash to prevent to board from drifting too far away during a capsize.

I recall once being with a double kayak that capsized near Kew Bridge. I just stood by while the crew calmly went about their self-rescuse routine when the coaching boat from a rowing eight passed by and decided that there was some kind of emergency in progress. Despite the protests from the two kayakers they forced themselves into the situation, dragging the kayak up onto the launch - damaging it in the process - and then dragging the paddlers onboard. All that done they then asked the paddlers what they wanted next - the answer - 'Can you just drop us on that shallow bank right there, the one we were swimming to when you arrived?'

Edited by WJM

Surely it would be quicker to hand carry the board past each lock and paddle through the pounds? Can you explain?

It is quicker - the portage point is always at the end of the lock-cut, beside the lock. Paddlers are not allowed to shoot Thames weirs, and even if it were allowed most are too dangerous.

Edited by WJM

Your absolutely right there are plenty safer ways to exercise but wouldn't that make life boring?

I used to get paid to climb trees next to powerlines and dabble in rock climbing on the weekends, not for everyone but best job and hobby in the world.

Everyone has their own way to enjoy themselves and long may it continue

Your absolutely right there are plenty safer ways to exercise but wouldn't that make life boring?

I used to get paid to climb trees next to powerlines and dabble in rock climbing on the weekends, not for everyone but best job and hobby in the world.

Everyone has their own way to enjoy themselves and long may it continue

Our trip to the Dolomites last September made me seriously question the fun in Rock Climbing as a hobby. My friend Thomas has wanted to do this climb for about fifteen years and has tried unsuccessfully about four times.

Well, the whole trip was a bit sketchy to be honest. It's too much for here, but briefly... The friend I was travelling with failed to arrive at the airport because his taxi crashed and rolled on the way.

I crashed the hire car within 1hr of collecting it.

At the start of the 'big' climb (Dibona Arete) a group of UK army bods overtook us to the start of the climb so, rather than argue, we moved to an alternative (wrong) start position. Another climber fell from about 30 meters above me before smashing into the mountain side. His belayer then dropped him the last meter or so (I thought I'd watched him die, then had to do a very scary, 10 meter unprotected traverse).

The large group of climbers and delays caused by mountain rescue meant lots of lost time. We made it to the top but, halfway back down, it became too dark to continue safely. So, two of us spent a night perched on a small ledge, tied into the rope so, if we managed to sleep, we wouldn't fall. We both got a bit of hypothermia and the conversations were about how neither of us wanted to climb again (the previous year I broke my coccyx before we even got to the start of this climb)

When dawn broke, we managed to find the next abseil anchor and made our way to solid ground about 150m below.

We then had a two hour walk back to the car, a 45 minute drive to the cottage where we spent the day and night sleeping.

The next day or two were pretty uneventful, I think we did a few mountain walks rather than any climbing.

The hire company were very forgiving about the car, luckily I had taken out the extra insurance so it wasn't too expensive for me.

Next disaster was the flight home, it was delayed by six hours , so instead of getting home around 10:00PM we finally arrived at 4:00AM and I was working that day.

We heard that the guy that fell, although very broken did survive but to this day, I still have flash backs and can hear the groans of him taking, what I thought were, his dying breaths.

Rob.

PS

We have both done some climbing since and are planning a trip back to the Cullen Ridge this year (where I fell and snapped my leg 5 years ago).

Seen a few going over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, bloody mad if you ask me but I like the fact there are still mad buggers in the world, so good on em

Some followed us across the aqueduct last year too. What worries me was that there were two who were obviously experienced, one leading the group and one following, but several between who were obviously novices under instruction. Several of the novices looked as if they might fall over at any moment, which on the aqueduct would not be a good idea.

A few days later as I travelled down the canal two of them overtook me at the same time, one on either side of me, just a few yards (less than a boat's length) before a bridge hole. After passing me they had to cut in sharply towards each other to pass through the bridge side-by-side and almost invisible to me. The consequences of a slight mishap don't bear thinking about!

Our trip to the Dolomites last September made me seriously question the fun in Rock Climbing as a hobby. My friend Thomas has wanted to do this climb for about fifteen years and has tried unsuccessfully about four times.

Well, the whole trip was a bit sketchy to be honest. It's too much for here, but briefly... The friend I was travelling with failed to arrive at the airport because his taxi crashed and rolled on the way.

I crashed the hire car within 1hr of collecting it.

At the start of the 'big' climb (Dibona Arete) a group of UK army bods overtook us to the start of the climb so, rather than argue, we moved to an alternative (wrong) start position. Another climber fell from about 30 meters above me before smashing into the mountain side. His belayer then dropped him the last meter or so (I thought I'd watched him die, then had to do a very scary, 10 meter unprotected traverse).

The large group of climbers and delays caused by mountain rescue meant lots of lost time. We made it to the top but, halfway back down, it became too dark to continue safely. So, two of us spent a night perched on a small ledge, tied into the rope so, if we managed to sleep, we wouldn't fall. We both got a bit of hypothermia and the conversations were about how neither of us wanted to climb again (the previous year I broke my coccyx before we even got to the start of this climb)

When dawn broke, we managed to find the next abseil anchor and made our way to solid ground about 150m below.

We then had a two hour walk back to the car, a 45 minute drive to the cottage where we spent the day and night sleeping.

The next day or two were pretty uneventful, I think we did a few mountain walks rather than any climbing.

The hire company were very forgiving about the car, luckily I had taken out the extra insurance so it wasn't too expensive for me.

Next disaster was the flight home, it was delayed by six hours , so instead of getting home around 10:00PM we finally arrived at 4:00AM and I was working that day.

We heard that the guy that fell, although very broken did survive but to this day, I still have flash backs and can hear the groans of him taking, what I thought were, his dying breaths.

Rob.

PS

We have both done some climbing since and are planning a trip back to the Cullen Ridge this year (where I fell and snapped my leg 5 years ago).

But your still doing it :)

My moment of knee shaking fear saw me running to a climbing wall, never to climb on rock again :)

Oh and to add I have also dislocated my kneecap climbing indoors, so thats not all that too safe

Edited by tree monkey

PS

Just following our quickly

I quite often stay at glendrynoch cottages in sligachen. It's a great Base as the family can do their thing and i can go walking the Ridge. We go in February as we are almost guaranteed snow and there is no one else in the cullin.

Have spent many a night in the bothy at camasunary

post-26022-0-96194200-1483636701_thumb.jpg

Edited by thebfg

I had a climbing friend who used to practice at home, in comfort. He worked out all different routes of getting into his loft from his landing without using a ladder. For example;- His north west face route would be,'' from base camp on the landing'', right foot on the lavatory door knob whilst his left hand grasped hold of the box room bedroom door lintel and then left foot onto the box room door knob and right hand to grasp hold of the guests bedroom door top which he left open on purpose beforehand. And then his right foot would grovel and scrabble about for a purchase upon the main bedroom door knob and then his left hand would search for a hold on the loft aperture, from where he would transfer his right hand to grapple with the guests bedroom door lintel. Bringing both feet together on top of the main bedroom door lintel, to finally grasp the loft surround with both hands and heave himself upwards and in. He would then spend an hour working out a new route back down to the landing without looking down and feeling giddy. He had worked out many more routes to get into his loft from base camp, some of which were a terrible struggle and some which were easy.

I had a climbing friend who used to practice at home, in comfort. He worked out all different routes of getting into his loft from his landing without using a ladder. For example;- His north west face route would be,'' from base camp on the landing'', right foot on the lavatory door knob whilst his left hand grasped hold of the box room bedroom door lintel and then left foot onto the box room door knob and right hand to grasp hold of the guests bedroom door top which he left open on purpose beforehand. And then his right foot would grovel and scrabble about for a purchase upon the main bedroom door knob and then his left hand would search for a hold on the loft aperture, from where he would transfer his right hand to grapple with the guests bedroom door lintel. Bringing both feet together on top of the main bedroom door lintel, to finally grasp the loft surround with both hands and heave himself upwards and in. He would then spend an hour working out a new route back down to the landing without looking down and feeling giddy. He had worked out many more routes to get into his loft from base camp, some of which were a terrible struggle and some which were easy.

Errr I would never do that, honest