Canopus and Sculptor

Featured Posts

Dpaws I'm interested to know as you have a Brinklow boat that's been built using the plans from a working boat, has it been built with a 7ft beam or a 6ft 10" beam??

Darren

She's 6'10" according to the Owners manual issued by Brinklow who did her fit out but it was Dave Harris who did the build.

From what I understand fresh templates were taken from Sculptor and used to determine hull shape - how much of the hull I don't know as I'm not the original owner, but certainly the rear swim and rudder arrangement aren't as Scultor as the photos earlier in this thread confirm.

I rather think you may be looking at plans for a Yarwood's built Josher then!

Josher's are not noted for ease of handling compared to GUCCCCo boats (!), so choosing to modify a boat based on a GUCCCo design on the basis of anything "Josher like", may not necessarily give you what you are after!

For one man's opinion of the handling (and other) characteristics of Joshers one can only refer the OP to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5XVu_9l9Zo

Sorry, CBA'd to read through the whole thread again but from Chris Deuchar's book "A Boater's Guide."

" You have recently sold your first boat and bought a deep draughted craft. You start off at your usual speed and suddenly the tiller develops a mind of its own and starts to push you off the counter. At the same time the boat starts to veer towards the opposite bank and in a frantic attempt to avoid a collision, you heave valiantly on the tiller which suddenly and inexplicably goes slack, so that you have trouble not falling in the water. The boat now veers off again - this time to the other bank. At this point SLOW DOWN and I will explain what is happening before you zigzag your way to the horizon - or worse.

There are a few skippers who have not experienced this; there are also a few who will admit to it; but it can take (typically) months before one discovers how to steer such a boat rather than fight it.................."

Edited by Ray T

Sorry, CBA'd to read through the whole thread again but from Chris Deuchar's book "A Boater,s Guide."

" You have recently sold your first boat and bought a deep draughted craft. You start off at your usual speed and suddenly the tiller develops a mind of its own and starts to push you off the counter. At the same time the boat starts to veer towards the opposite bank and in a frantic attempt to avoid a collision, you heave valiantly on the tiller which suddenly and inexplicably goes slack, so that you have trouble not falling in the water. The boat now veers off again - this time to the other bank. At this point SLOW DOWN and I will explain what is happening before you zigzag your way to the horizon - or worse.

There are a few skippers who have not experienced this; there are also a few who will admit to it; but it can take (typically) months before one discovers how to steer such a boat rather than fight it.................."

This point has been made several times in the thread but the OP is having none of it!

I'm hoping that the handling before and after can be verified independently by forum colleague Matty, who will hopefully be moving 'Pus for me on several occasions. He has good experience with many types of boat, including historical working boats.

How about getting Matty to give you a frank and honest assessment just about what he thinks is wrong with the boat, (if at all), before considering any kind of "before and after"?

It is possible that if someone with experience tries it out the most positive message you may get is that you will not suddenly make a huge difference to it by fiddling with anything.

I do fear that getting an individual who is experienced with many types of boat to provide an assessment of the boats handling is , i'm afraid , bordering on common sense & is therefore an entirely unwelcome suggestion Sir .

Why would one do something so clearly clearly obvious when one can instead indulge oneself in theoretical science and cutting edge 21st century narrowboat design instead ?

Get someone to test it .... absolutely absurd !!!

I do fear that getting an individual who is experienced with many types of boat to provide an assessment of the boats handling is , i'm afraid , bordering on common sense & is therefore an entirely unwelcome suggestion Sir .

Why would one do something so clearly clearly obvious when one can instead indulge oneself in theoretical science and cutting edge 21st century narrowboat design instead ?

Get someone to test it .... absolutely absurd !!!

Fear of the result. Matty might say the boat handles exactly as expected and there is nothing to improve. And then all rationalisation for tinkering with the hull and rudder will have been snatched away, and where is the fun in that?

Fear of the result. Matty might say the boat handles exactly as expected and there is nothing to improve. And then all rationalisation for tinkering with the hull and rudder will have been snatched away, and where is the fun in that?

I have absolutely nothing to fear at all; I wish to modify my boat to experiment with the handling differences and I find that an interesting thing to do. I have monies disposable to fund the work and an open mind to the results - and when I need an opinion that I value I ask directly to the people with knowledge that I respect.

Simples.

Matty may well conclude that the boat handles as he expects it too - but you can also change people's expectations by demonstrating something superior. I'm certain too that if he does report any improvements that these would be ridiculed here too - the trolls need to be fed!

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." - Benjamin Franklin

Edited by dpaws

I think I totally understand your mindset, but you do set yourself up a bit! I took a perfectly good Beta Marine BD3 tug engine out of my boat and installed a Kelvin K1 just because I wanted to. The previous engine was technically superior in every way to the Kelvin but I LIKE Kelvins.

Good quotation from Mr Franklyn there. Very true. He also said you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

Here is my boat R Fuller undercarriage. 28-29" draft.

IMG_5344_zps1bz5x0ai.jpg

It has the twin evils of a anode disrupting the smooth inward flow to the prop and the dastardly flow disruptor before the rudder.

Trouble is I can't work out why it steers beautifully in a deepish canal but rubbish in shallow pounds. <irony off>

IMG_5344_zps1bz5x0ai.jpg

It has the twin evils of a anode disrupting the smooth inward flow to the prop and the dastardly flow disruptor before the rudder.

Trouble is I can't work out why it steers beautifully in a deepish canal but rubbish in shallow pounds. <irony off>

My boat too is up the bank in a flash the instant the water gets shallow.

Probably because I can't find the irony switch...

IMG_5344_zps1bz5x0ai.jpg

Maybe its the crap round the shaft clapping.gif

I think I totally understand your mindset, but you do set yourself up a bit! I took a perfectly good Beta Marine BD3 tug engine out of my boat and installed a Kelvin K1 just because I wanted to. The previous engine was technically superior in every way to the Kelvin but I LIKE Kelvins.

Good quotation from Mr Franklyn there. Very true. He also said you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

Hi Mike, is this Mr.Franklyn your next door neighbour ? The other (the real) Benjamin Franklin died in 1790, long before internets existance.

Peter.

IMG_5344_zps1bz5x0ai.jpg

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

Eoin Colfer