Towpath walker in Mountain Bike Incident

Andy Healey

Featured Posts

Which is a brilliant setup where if my bike is worn out I can throw it at your car then it's your fault and you have to buy me a new one.

This is why I beleive all cyclists should be registered (for identification) and insured.

I think know the government is missing a trick by not charging for registration.

Surely no one: the ambulance service is provided by the N.H.S.

i was involved in a RTA (hit in the rear) on a duel carriageway, i had to get out of the window because he had hit me that hard the doors wouldnt open, anyway went to hosp got treated a week later i got a bill for treatment because it was a RTA, sent bill to insurance company who paid it so yes all parties get billed if in a RTA

i was involved in a RTA (hit in the rear) on a duel carriageway, i had to get out of the window because he had hit me that hard the doors wouldnt open, anyway went to hosp got treated a week later i got a bill for treatment because it was a RTA, sent bill to insurance company who paid it so yes all parties get billed if in a RTA

Thank you for that clarification. I'm pleased that you were O.K.

The way some people drive on them, I think you've got it right calling them "duel" carriageways.

I think it's important that all these construction industry trucks operating in central London are clearly marked with some sort of registration number and insured. If only they were, I'm sure that many cyclist deaths and severe injuries could be halted overnight.

How?

Surely these lorries carry registration numbers, unless they work exclusively off-road?

Thank you for that clarification. I'm pleased that you were O.K.

The way some people drive on them, I think you've got it right calling them "duel" carriageways.

How?

Surely these lorries carry registration numbers, unless they work exclusively off-road?

woosh! They are, it doesn't stop them killing cyclists on an almost weekly basis.

woosh! They are, it doesn't stop them killing cyclists on an almost weekly basis.

When I worked in London in was a daily occurrence to see cyclist riding up the inside of trucks which were clearly indicating left, and also cyclists seem to frequently ignore red lights.

Unfortunately some end up taking the ultimate responsibility for their actions.

As all road uses have the potential to hurt pedestrians and cause damage, all road uses should be clearly identifiable and insured.

• Greenie 2

So, to get back on topic, am I correct in saying that so far nobody has been able to turn up anything that supports the original idea that somebody died last week as an incident on a tow-path involving a bike?

If it had actually occurred, I would expect Google to find some reference to it on a local news site of some kind, but I certainly couldn't find anything when I looked earlier on.

So you have a pre-conceived idea that the cyclist may be the culprit.

I admit I had assumed that is what the previous poster was suggesting , I was trying to advocate keeping an open mind.

Ah, but the car driver will have insurance

haggis

I certainly have third party insurance when on my bike so where would that leave me ...... I know ... I'll not bother throwing my bike at a dutch motorist then there will be no confusion.

Edited by NickF

In road accidents don't they recover the costs for medical treatment from the drivers insurance?

Yup. Came as a shock to my mum who managed to brake fast enough to not kill the little chap but who then lost her NCB to pay the medical fees.

OP here, our friend definitely said Canal towpath knowing of my canal interests, I am loathe to ask for more details, cant even remember if they said East or West Midlands. We met the lady in question on a classic car trip in Llangollen 2013 and am certain she was not 71. Either way lets not speculate on fault or blame until something official appears.

Spot on! Happened to me once when a child ran in front of my motorbike.

George ex nb Alton retired

Yup. Came as a shock to my mum who managed to brake fast enough to not kill the little chap but who then lost her NCB to pay the medical fees.

So that is two examples of motor vehicle drivers injuring people, from this small group on this forum, in a discussion which seems mainly to be about the responsibilities of cyclists, represented as the threat/irresponsible victims. Some credit due the posters for acknowledging the damage they/their mum caused by their driving.

However in both cases the posters use language that suggests fault/blame lay with the victim. "running out in front of me' ( their action nothing to do with riding at an appropriate speed with vigilance on the street so you don't injure someone) or 'managed to brake fast enough to not kill the little chap" (hey - she saved his life in fact - as opposed to merely injuring rather than killing the child).

In a thread mainly focussed on blaming cyclists - statistically overwhelmingly victims of poor driving behaviour in which drivers are at fault - for the inability of drivers to manage the lethal machinery they sit inside/upon.

A thread with a possibly intentional misdirection in its headline, again stimulating the rage response of cyclist hate.

On a forum where people have posted approvingly of assault on cyclists with mooring pin/spiked rod/line at neck height. Shame.

The death of anyone on road or otherwise is a tragedy.

Edited by Tigerr
  • Greenie 1

So that is two examples of motor vehicle drivers injuring people, from this small group on this forum, in a discussion which seems mainly to be about the responsibilities of cyclists, represented as the threat/irresponsible victims. Some credit due the posters for acknowledging the damage they/their mum caused by their driving.

However in both cases the posters use language that suggests fault/blame lay with the victim. "running out in front of me' ( their action nothing to do with riding at an appropriate speed with vigilance on the street so you don't injure someone) or 'managed to brake fast enough to not kill the little chap" (hey - she saved his life in fact - as opposed to merely injuring rather than killing the child).

In a thread mainly focussed on blaming cyclists - statistically overwhelmingly victims of poor driving behaviour in which drivers are at fault - for the inability of drivers to manage the lethal machinery they sit inside/upon.

A thread with a possibly intentional misdirection in its headline, again stimulating the rage response of cyclist hate.

On a forum where people have posted approvingly of assault on cyclists with mooring pin/spiked rod/line at neck height. Shame.

I find your post most offensive.

I was driving well within the speed limit when a child ran out of a side street directly under my wheels.

IT WAS THE CHILD'S FAULT. End of.

Perhaps they need to fence off the pavements to keep pedestrians and motor vehicles apart then

You can drive/ride as responsibly as you like but if a child/ teenager distracted by a mobile phone/drunk or confused adult steps off the kerb into your path then it is down to the road conditions and the skill and judgement of the person in control of the motor vehicle to do what they can to try and stop a potentially very nasty accident.

We all share the roads, it is up to all of us to ensure we abide by the rules of the road and if people get it wrong then someone is likely to get hurt.

• Greenie 1

I find your post most offensive.

I was driving well within the speed limit when a child ran out of a side street directly under my wheels.

IT WAS THE CHILD'S FAULT. End of.

Ditto with my mum. Lots of parked cars and a narrow bit of road. She always drove well below the limit on that stretch specifically because some unthinking child might run out.

Unthinking child DID run out. It was ENTIRELY the child's fault. Because of Mum's careful driving the kid didn't even get any broken bones. But she still had to pay for the roadside checkup and outpatient precautionary x-rays.

The damage wasn't due to 'her driving' it was due to unobservant and unsupervised child.