Wigrams Turn Marina

Dave /Helen

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes correct. Its all about how and when certain words are used. I and some friends in our little community have some T shirts with " Canal Trash " printed on and " Heyford chapter " on the back. I like being Canal Trash :D

Yeah, but Tim there is nothing wrong in using terms like that when they are true! :P:lol:

Roger

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Not sure it matters going :smiley_offtopic:in this thread given the direction it has taken, but for comparison a view of Calcutt and Ventnor.

OnUsBD6.jpg

I wonder what type of pollution incident has turned the water purple?

36 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I wonder what type of pollution incident has turned the water purple?

Wasn't there something last saturday about different coloured dyes being put into the water to help with navigating around the system?

Perhaps purple is being used to identify the GU!

:D

4 hours ago, dmr said:

Its not the words themselves that matter but the context in the way that they are used.

Precisely, yes. I have been explaining exactly that, but I'm afraid that some have turned a blind ear.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Precisely, yes. I have been explaining exactly that, but I'm afraid that some have turned a blind ear.

But that is an essential characteristic of political correctness; if you hear or read anything that could possibly be construed as racist etc then it is you duty to interpret it in the most negative way, be outraged and offended, and dismiss the user as a racist/sexist/homophobe (or possible all three) and make no attempt to understand the context in which the word was used lest you are seen as condoning it. The PC folk are often just as blinkered as the racists who they detest.

Heavy stuff, can we talk about batteries and bogs again now please?

............Dave

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

But that is an essential characteristic of political correctness; if you hear or read anything that could possibly be construed as racist etc then it is you duty to interpret it in the most negative way, be outraged and offended, and dismiss the user as a racist/sexist/homophobe (or possible all three) and make no attempt to understand the context in which the word was used lest you are seen as condoning it. The PC folk are often just as blinkered as the racists who they detest.

Heavy stuff, can we talk about batteries and bogs again now please?

............Dave

I like BOGS :D

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

No, they are reading your posts with a deaf eye -_-

I can't remember where I half-inched that half-forgotten expression from: something about Nelson putting the telephone to his blind ear. It may have been Spike Milligan or it could even have been Sellars & Yeatman.

7 hours ago, dmr said:

For example we now have to say person of colour rather than coloured person.

Really??? Another thing I didn't know. WTF is the difference?  They're not 'coloured' anyway; there are no blue, purple or green folk, just varying shades and luminosities of red.

Is it okay to say "a black person"? 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Really??? Another thing I didn't know. WTF is the difference?  They're not 'coloured' anyway; there are no blue, purple or green folk, just varying shades and luminosities of red.

Is it okay to say "a black person"? 

When I was born I was black, when I grew up I was black, when I'm sick I'm black, when I go out in the sun I'm black, when I'm cold I'll be black, and when I die I'll be black. But you, when you where born you were pink, when you grew up you were white, when you're sick you're green, when you go out in the sun you turn red, when you're cold you turn blue, and when you die you'll turn purple. And you have the nerve to call me colored?

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

When I was born I was black, when I grew up I was black, when I'm sick I'm black, when I go out in the sun I'm black, when I'm cold I'll be black, and when I die I'll be black. But you, when you where born you were pink, when you grew up you were white, when you're sick you're green, when you go out in the sun you turn red, when you're cold you turn blue, and when you die you'll turn purple. And you have the nerve to call me colored?

:clapping:

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:43, Athy said:

I think that, if you care to analyse the words in your post, you'll find that most if not all of them date back 300 years or considerably longer. Yet they are still in common use.

I have not noticed any moddy using a "clearly racist expression" in recent times. If this person is supported by other members, that shows that CWDF is a discussion forum, in which people have, and express, differing views - as any intelligent person surely understands.

Can I suggest you get on The Clapton Omnibus and ask the first passenger you come across for their analysis of the etymology.

Good luck with that.

• Greenie 2