Wigrams Turn Marina

Dave /Helen

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

I,m at Barby Moorings south of Hillmorton, Rugby, 3 years already. still developing hand to mouth with family team. Its got no frills yet, save free pumpout and reasonable diesel. starting to do blacking last autumn. Its cheapest mooring in the area, good location on the system, Barby Shooting Club bar n restaurant nearby, stonesthrow from all shops n pubs n transport in Rugby, A45, A5 and M1 close by. Car park,s muddy but they,ll get it fixed one day then the price may go up. Meanwhile i,ll just wipe my feet.

18 minutes ago, Irob said:

I,m at Barby Moorings south of Hillmorton, Rugby, 3 years already. still developing hand to mouth with family team. Its got no frills yet, save free pumpout and reasonable diesel. starting to do blacking last autumn. Its cheapest mooring in the area, good location on the system, Barby Shooting Club bar n restaurant nearby, stonesthrow from all shops n pubs n transport in Rugby, A45, A5 and M1 close by. Car park,s muddy but they,ll get it fixed one day then the price may go up. Meanwhile i,ll just wipe my feet.

have they actually managed to get the electric hooked up to the national grid yet? or are you still paying double the normal per-unit rate for electric from a big generator.

Still using the big genny. If i,m in the marina overlong hooked up, my bill is about £18 - 20 /month. I,m talking April to October as my season. Only big consumers onboard is fan heater if cold and 240v smart tv. We dont have washing machine so i dont consider it a big limitation. But most of the summer we,re cruising. I,m still happy at Barby for central location on the system and can do a run to Atherstone north and into the Ashby with only 4 locks, or a long weekend to Napton with no locks if we have guests for a couple of nights or so.

3 hours ago, Irob said:

I thought you'd just returned from 20 years in Indonesia? 

14 hours ago, Irob said:

Lulu fish are you stalking me ?  Am i of vague interest to you?

Its nice of you to give me such attention.  

I've only replied to you in two threads. Don't flatter yourself.  I take it your spiel about 20 years in Indonesia was bull then?

• Greenie 1

From memory, Irob has said - perhaps in another thread - that he spends half the year in Indonesia and the other half over here. I can't see that a query about that is an unreasonable personal intrusion. perhaps, Irob, you would care to answer Lulu's question again so that the answer is clear.

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

From memory, Irob has said - perhaps in another thread - that he spends half the year in Indonesia and the other half over here. I can't see that a query about that is an unreasonable personal intrusion. perhaps, Irob, you would care to answer Lulu's question again so that the answer is clear.

He said "I've just returned from 20 years in Indonesia" before going on a racist rant about the Indonesian culture.  

His post in this thread seemed to contradict that.

I can see that his version of events may not concur with your interpretation of them. I did read his post about Indonesia but I did not notice a "racist rant", however it was in a different thread and I can't remember which one so I can't check at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I can see that his version of events may not concur with your interpretation of them. I did read his post about Indonesia but I did not notice a "racist rant", however it was in a different thread and I can't remember which one so I can't check at the moment.

You think using the term 'nignog' is acceptable. You wouldn't recognise racism if it smacked you in the face.

• Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

You think using the term 'nignog' is acceptable. You wouldn't recognise racism if it smacked you in the face.

Unless I am using the search facility wrongly a search for "nignog" turns up 4 uses.   Yours in this quote and 3 in a thread entitled Trump and none posted by Irob.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

...and, if you don't point me towards the post in question, I shall not have the chance to do so. Please indicate which thread it's in.

I don't think that using the term "silly billy" is unacceptable, no, but that is not an issue in this discussion.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

...and, if you don't point me towards the post in question, I shall not have the chance to do so. Please indicate which thread it's in.

I don't think that using the term "silly billy" is unacceptable, no, but that is not an issue in this discussion.

I didn't say "silly billy".

23 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Unless I am using the search facility wrongly a search for "nignog" turns up 4 uses.   Yours in this quote and 3 in a thread entitled Trump and none posted by Irob.

I was replying to Athy, not Irob

Athy said on the Trump thread:

Certainly not: nignogs does not specify black people, the word means "silly people" or "twits", with no racial undertone whatsoever. It is simply a mild pejorative.

8 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

Athy said on the Trump thread:

Yup, and he was correct (context dependant).

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/nig-nog

nig-nog

Translate Button
n.

"foolish person," 1953, OED suggests from earlier cant slang nigmenog "a very silly fellow" (1700). As a term of abuse for black person, a shortened and reduplicated form of nigger.

Edited by WotEver
Tidy up the formatting

43 minutes ago, WotEver said:

foolish person," 1953, OED suggests from earlier cant slang nigmenog "a very silly fellow" (1700)

"No racial undertone whatsoever" - Tony

Do you wish to take the >300 year old common meaning or the obscure, little-used 10 year old one? Like Athy, I'd never come across the new usage until today.