Jack Frost

Greylady2

Featured Posts

My first winter living on a boat and its frozen over about 8mm, the question is i need to turn my boat around sometime very soon.

I guess its a stupid question but this is going to damage my freshly painted blacking i guess ?

Some boats have gone past but do i move now or risk it being thicker tomorow. :-/

Edited by Greylady2

My first winter living on a boat and its frozen over about 8mm, the question is i need to turn my boat around sometime very soon.

I guess its a stupid question but this is going to damage my freshly painted blacking i guess ?

Some boats have gone past but do i move now or risk it being thicker tomorow. :-/

Frozen over ohmy.png where are you, Siberia? Yes it does take blacking off.

Frozen over ohmy.png where are you, Siberia? Yes it does take blacking off.

Up north lol.

Honest it was about 8mm this morning and in big sheets when a boat went past.

Yer though it would do damage, a bit of a daft question from me.

Up north lol.

Honest it was about 8mm this morning and in big sheets when a boat went past.

Yer though it would do damage, a bit of a daft question from me.

Where up north, just the county :)

Where up north, just the county :)

Up north on a canal sumwur secret.

Lol

Look at the weather forecast - warming up by Weds if you can hang on until then.

I did not need to move because of the mafia(crt), i just dont want to get stuck out of the marina.

Its all melted now.

Do you just need to move to please CRT? If so, they tend to be fairly lenient where ice is concerned. Try calling them.

No Dave, thanks for telling me that though.

I'm intrigued to know where up north has frozen over.

It was cold last night and we did get a frost but not cold enough to freeze the water over yet!

According to our thermometer the water temperature is still about 5 degrees here on the Fossdyke.

Yes it does damage your blacking.

And you might get people shouting at you that you are damaging theirs by pushing sheets of ice about. (And also potentially puncturing GRP boats)

But....................................

Its great fun and the breaking ice makes a wonderful noise

• Greenie 1

I'm intrigued to know where up north has frozen over.

It was cold last night and we did get a frost but not cold enough to freeze the water over yet!

According to our thermometer the water temperature is still about 5 degrees here on the Fossdyke.

I know we aren't near a canal but we have had about 4 days with -5 and the days very little above freezing. The Lancaster canal will almost certainly be frozen I would say.

Not that I am suggesting that is where GreyLady is.

Yes it does damage your blacking.

And you might get people shouting at you that you are damaging theirs by pushing sheets of ice about. (And also potentially puncturing GRP boats)

But....................................

Its great fun and the breaking ice makes a wonderful noise

We have been told off by narrowboatists for breaking ice past their boats!

No damage when we pulled it out a few weeks later just some scuffed antifouling at the point of the bow.

• Greenie 1

Up north on a canal sumwur secret.

Lol

:) I totally understand maybe better than you realise.

Go to http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/united-kingdom-weatherand put in your location or a reasonable size town and the site will give you four and five day forecasts for temp etc. I have found them to be reasonably accurate.

Geo

Does the team think it's bad form to navigate when the cut is frozen over? Perhaps it's OK when the ice is thin. Where do you draw the line. I'm sure the moaners don't complain about the fuel boats!

I have cruised with 25mm/50mm of ice and going gently it did no damage. The damage if any to moored boats is I believe caused just by people moving about on them, the boat is continually moving in the ice and rubbing against the ice.

I think one of the major things is not to take bends sharply, it pushes the outside side of the boat into the ice edge.

smile.png I totally understand maybe better than you realise.

Go to http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/united-kingdom-weatherand put in your location or a reasonable size town and the site will give you four and five day forecasts for temp etc. I have found them to be reasonably accurate.

Geo

Is there anyway to get the temperatures in Centigrade we have after all been using them since 1974?

Is there anyway to get the temperatures in Centigrade we have after all been using them since 1974?

Yep righthand top just under the advert it says "English (US)" Hover and popup opens and at the bottom of it are two button F & C click C and you should have C. Sorry I am too old for weather in centigrade :) it does not compute in the brain.

A thin slither of ice on the water in Burscough yesterday morning.

Is that not a bit early in the year. Wondering if this could be a 2010 winter

I find it curious that in Winter the temperature will be for instance a chilly -5 C but in summer its a scorchio 72 ...... F

I think its called " being British " .

Or English :)

www.netweather.tv is also very good, especially their weather radar.

forecast.io is worth a look at.

Dark Sky on Android is absolutely brilliant!

Finally, skylinkweather.com gives current conditions at all UK airports, even the smaller ones.

I use 'The Weather Channel'. It's bang on 90% of the time and pretty close the other 10%. It gives reasonably detailed 10 day forecasts too. On the phone it automatically gives your local weather (if you have Location Services enabled) but you can select anywhere in the world.

Yep righthand top just under the advert it says "English (US)" Hover and popup opens and at the bottom of it are two button F & C click C and you should have C. Sorry I am too old for weather in centigrade smile.png it does not compute in the brain.

Thank you.

Hells teeth you must be old I'm 70 and used C all the way through school and we went metric in 74 so only the years between training and 74 (6) where I used F.

Is that not a bit early in the year. Wondering if this could be a 2010 winter

40 years ago we had our first frost in early September so not historically early for me.

Thank you.

Hells teeth you must be old I'm 70 and used C all the way through school and we went metric in 74 so only the years between training and 74 (6) where I used F.

40 years ago we had our first frost in early September so not historically early for me.

I am told I look in my late 50s/early 60s but I am not, lets say I can remember the early part of WWII.

The odd early frost is not unusual but for the weather to be consistently cold enough for the water in the canal to freeze with a temp that was not that low really. Trouble is once the water has got cold enough it does not heat up again until next year. At least that is what my mind is saying. Hope my brain is wrong :)

The water in my friends pond today was half an inch thick. We are both sad people because we were intrigued enough to measure it. This is Lancashire....

If there are fish in it, maybe put a tennis ball in to keep a breather hole.