Farewell Iona

Ange

Featured Posts

We sold our gorgeous Doug Moore boat Iona today (well actually yesterday - looking at the time!) It was absolutely the right thing for us to do but I did have a silly girly weep.

Built in 1990 she passed the survey with just a few minor things to fix - her hull has hardly any pitting at all. That says everything about the quality of the build.

Her new owner is a young man in who has secured a mooring for her in the North which seems right somehow - she's a Northern lass built in Barnoldswick so it's like she's going home. Dave met him today when he did a handover tour and said he was chuffed to pieces - after viewing loads of boats that in his price range were either smaller than he wanted to live on or downright dreadful he knew as soon as he stepped aboard Iona that she was the one for him, and every box* was ticked as he walked through the boat.

That was when I had a little girly weep - to know she's gone to someone who appreciates and loves her already makes it so much easier to let go of her choked me up. She was our home for seven years and we travelled many miles of the system on her meeting some fantastic people.

She'll be travelling from Stoke back up North in the Spring - look out for her and wish her new owner the best of luck :)

*Well almost every box - he's talking about blocking off the pump out loo and installing a portapotti :lol:

*Well almost every box - he's talking about blocking off the pump out loo and installing a portapotti laugh.png

Clearly a man of good judgement!

We had no regrets and moved on very quickly, in fact parts of us were glad to see the back of 'The Dog House' but totally recognise selling a boat invokes different emotions for different people...

Glad the sale went well though... its a testing time.

Clearly a man of good judgement!

We had no regrets and moved on very quickly, in fact parts of us were glad to see the back of 'The Dog House' but totally recognise selling a boat invokes different emotions for different people...

Glad the sale went well though... its a testing time.

I couldn't resist the toilet comment knowing it would add some fun to the thread :D

I was going to say it's because we lived aboard that I was so emotionally attached, but we've lived in many houses and never felt the same sense of loss. Funny old world innit.

And thanks - we bought the house relying on the sale of the boat so setting aside the soppy stuff we both heaved a sigh of relief today when the money landed in our bank!

Like you I have very mixed feelings about Iona going. I remember so well that walk along the towpath where you introduced her to us for the first time - you were like a proud new mum!

I remember sitting on board with you both watching the F1 and Molly dropping curry fuelled farts :)

I will always think of the Molly Chicane that was carefully created to give Molly more exercise when she walked up and down the cabin top of Iona

Yup, that boat brings great memories to me too but in fact the great memories were only made because of the great people that owned her and the fact that she has moved on allowing those great people to get on with the next chapter of their lives without financial worries also makes me smile.

It is so nice that Iona has gone to such an appreciating young man even with his thoughts of putting a portapotti in. He may well come to his senses on the trip up north.

It always amazes me that every boat I have bought has touched my heart, and I have had a tear in the eye at every sale. They have a life and soul and look after us.

I am sure that Iona has chosen well in her new owner and she understands the importance of you two going ashore.

Be well and happy

"Iona".

- "Not any more, you don't".

It is good that the sale has been satisfactorily completed and that you can now enjoy your new house without worrying about the £££...and enjoy it I hope you will.

Are you planning to get another boat?

Edited by Athy

IMAG0620_zps7cda8b8f.jpg

Bloody pikeys.....icecream.gif

Probably the only time the stuff off Ionas roof touched the towpath and guess who was there to capture it......

I think I probably looked at some of the same boats as you when we were looking to buy, and we got on the water at the same time - and met on the way to the Loughborough banter in 2012.

Lovely boat, lovely people and dog, and we will love to see you at Smudgies docheers.gif

I have to ask Ange.......

........ did you ever get to steer the boat? biggrin.png

I must admit we found letting Chalice go quite hard, and, unlike you, it was ever our full time home for more than a couple of months at a time. The difference, of course, is that we were up to three boats by then, and it was costing us pounds stupid!

We sold our gorgeous Doug Moore boat Iona today (well actually yesterday - looking at the time!) It was absolutely the right thing for us to do but I did have a silly girly weep.

Built in 1990 she passed the survey with just a few minor things to fix - her hull has hardly any pitting at all. That says everything about the quality of the build.

Her new owner is a young man in who has secured a mooring for her in the North which seems right somehow - she's a Northern lass built in Barnoldswick so it's like she's going home. Dave met him today when he did a handover tour and said he was chuffed to pieces - after viewing loads of boats that in his price range were either smaller than he wanted to live on or downright dreadful he knew as soon as he stepped aboard Iona that she was the one for him, and every box* was ticked as he walked through the boat.

That was when I had a little girly weep - to know she's gone to someone who appreciates and loves her already makes it so much easier to let go of her choked me up. She was our home for seven years and we travelled many miles of the system on her meeting some fantastic people.

She'll be travelling from Stoke back up North in the Spring - look out for her and wish her new owner the best of luck smile.png

*Well almost every box - he's talking about blocking off the pump out loo and installing a portapotti laugh.png

Life goes in seasons. Clearly you are moving into a new season and I hope you will be happy. Well done on selling the boat to somebody who appreciates it, must make things easier for you.

I have to admit I shed a tear, when I turned my back on Lucky Duck, and walked away leaving it on the pontoon brokerage mooring.

Then it turned up next to our new boat three months later! Luckily the new owners are wonderful, but it's hard seeing it there, still with some of the things I remember in it- the paw prints on the cratch cover from when Lyra stepped on some primer then the cover, the fenders and ropes I put on, the big dent from Fotheringhay bridge.....

I have to admit I shed a tear, when I turned my back on Lucky Duck, and walked away leaving it on the pontoon brokerage mooring.

Then it turned up next to our new boat three months later! Luckily the new owners are wonderful, but it's hard seeing it there, still with some of the things I remember in it- the paw prints on the cratch cover from when Lyra stepped on some primer then the cover, the fenders and ropes I put on, the big dent from Fotheringhay bridge.....

I still look out for the big dent in Fotheringhay bridge......

MP.

That blasted bridge! It put a fair dent in our Fox's hire boat circa 1997 - or rather the tree just beyond it did. The water level was high and it was impossible for me to see what was beyond the bridge without getting my head knocked off. The Crew, who was in the bows, did not distinguish herself as I recall: "I thought you were going to turn and miss the tree" she said.

Fox's were very understanding.

IMAG0620_zps7cda8b8f.jpg

Bloody pikeys.....icecream.gif

Probably the only time the stuff off Ionas roof touched the towpath and guess who was there to capture it......

I think I probably looked at some of the same boats as you when we were looking to buy, and we got on the water at the same time - and met on the way to the Loughborough banter in 2012.

Lovely boat, lovely people and dog, and we will love to see you at Smudgies docheers.gif

Is the boat in front owned by another forum member? One who goes by his initials?

Aww thanks folks for so many kind messages. Apologies for being lazy but I won't quote messages just answer them and hope folks remember what they said/asked smile.png

Chesh - I remember that visit, it was when we were holed up for the winter on the Ashby at Hinckley before we moved aboard - you and Dave were among our very first visitors, which was very fitting as you was one of the first forum members I met in person hug.gif If I remember rightly at the time you & Dave were still just mates, both of you totally oblivious of the chemistry that was glaringly obvious to the rest of your friends biggrin.png

Mr Athy - when we first bought the boat I can remember dancing round in circles chanting I Own Her - it was such a fitting name for our first boat. We've no immediate plans to buy another boat - to be perfectly honest it was only something we could afford by living aboard full time and continuously cruising. Now we're back in a house we can't afford the extra overheads that boat owning entails. We do have a fancy for one day getting ourselves a little tupperware to put on a trailer - I don't think our waterways fun is over for good yet.

PB thank you - we've only met you and the great helmsman briefly a few times but it was a pleasure. Hopefully our paths will cross again - any chance of another banter in the deep south? I seem to remember you and my father in law got on rather well.

Oh and Matty. How I cursed you when that photo appeared on the forum! It must have been all of half an hour at most that we littered the towpath and our CWDF on the spot journalist was there to catch that moment biggrin.png I know it was one of the Gnossall banters but can't remember which year except I don't think it was the lurgy year.

Mr Fincher - one of my stars when it came to advice during our steep learning curve when we first moved aboard. I did take a steering course with Linda at Overwater Marina and did give it a try but it never suited me - so yes, in my seven years I probably steered the boat for about an hour biggrin.png

Not deliberately ignoring anyone, but don't want to be tedious by answering every post so thanks to all that wished us well.

Dave did say that when he visited the boat the new owner was there with his mum & dad and had the stove going nicely. It was very odd for him stepping aboard as a visitor to someone else's boat.

We're normally very cautious folks and it was a step into the abyss when we gave up our jobs, rented out the house and moved aboard in 2009 but my word was it the right thing to do! Travelling the country widened our horizons and our viewpoints and the best thing has been our circle of friends has widened beyond belief. You know the movie Sliding Doors? There's an alternative reality where we chickened out, are both still living our safe lives in Kent with a very small circle of friends, all of them from a very similar background and therefore not offering us the diversity of outlook that has made us think again about so many things we took as given before.

I'm so glad we took the leap - we now have friends (some who have posted on this thread) who will be friends for life - sometimes I can't believe we met them such a relatively short time ago.

Sorry - I do waffle once I get going! Hugs to everyone - thanks to those that have offered use of their boats and/or passage with them.

Oh and some have asked if we'll still be going to banters - hell yes!!! cheers.gif